killswitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

euge

Reaction score
How do you install a killswitch??? never paid attention to them until now, how do you connect it to the engine??? anybody have pics:roflol:

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Depends on the engines ignition system. If its electronic (no points) there is a hookup on the coil when you use a wire to hook this tab to ground (engine block or cart frame) the engine kills itself. I cant remebwer how points are setup ATM but im pretty sure you gotta pull the flywheel if one isnt already hooked up (wire coming out of the engine).

sayre315

Rupp enduro
Reaction score
or just hook a wire upto the spartk plug tip and then to a switck, atatch the switch to somthin metal on your frame or engine

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
or just hook a wire upto the spartk plug tip and then to a switck, atatch the switch to somthin metal on your frame or engine

:bannana:

No, that would put 20,000+ volts through wiring rated for less than 6, BAD idea. Not to mention most switches have a gap in em small enough for a mag to jump. You have to ground it on the low voltage side.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yes I have learned the hard way in my dragster. It wasnt exacly from the spark plug tip. My coil has a low and a high voltage kill switch. The low voltage wire can be used with a normal switch. However the rules state that we must have a electrical switch AND a mechanical electrical. So I had over 40 thousand vots going through a normall switch in my cockpit. As soon as my dad started me up and I gave it the gas The throttle wouldnt even work. It was just dead. And you get the biggest shock of your life shutting off the car.

http://www.mcgeecams.com/images/emerg-shutoff.jpg

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Good point, my flathead has a built in spring loaded arm on the head that touches the bare plug top and kills the motor. Or if you lack that neat feature a "old school" sheet metal strap on the nearest head bolt works.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
First you gotta pull the cooling blower shroud/pull start off 9if there isnt a wire sticking out of the motor.

Then you need to ID the ignition system, wires running under flywheel=points, no wires to flywheel=magnetron.

If its a mag there should be a tab for a small blade connector, when this tab is connected to ground the engine ignition is killed.

euge

Reaction score
it would be very helpful if you can show some pics i kinda get what your saying but not totally understand, i still haven't ordered it so i need an example thanks for all the help.

euge

Reaction score
damm it i crashed into a freaking garage door please help me out before i hurt myself

BTW I FINALLY GOT TO DRIVE MY GO KART ITS 90% DONE

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Crashing is you foot and brains fault, your better off WITH THE MOTOR RUNNING if you feel in danger of crashing, especially on live axle setups where good throttle/brake pumping timing is everything in sharp turns. Only time this isnt true is if your trans locks up or your throttle comes unhooked and the motor runs away.

euge

Reaction score
the bumper helped :) and the throttle got stuck because we still havent added the pedals or brakes we were doing it the old fashinoned way by doing it by hand and my brother who was pulling the throtle just it it run away i was inside a very large shop. The key out of the sprocket fell out and it was still going i think it was being held by a set screw

euge

Reaction score
i rebuilt my carb now my engine runs alot better, but my clutch isn't engaging fast enough.

How would i put a speedometer on my go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.