Just test drove my new Electric build

wheels

Reaction score
Drove it for almost 30mins... think it was 25 mins. Anyways... i built it using a 48V 1800w system. Gear ratio is 7.3:1 weight is roughly 300-325 with me on it(guessing). Rolling 18inch wheels.

Different speeds tested - check
Reverse tested - check

My first impressions:
-it was easier hooking up everything( power button, reverse, speed selection, etc) than i expected.
-it does not have the torque i thought it would
* can still go up to a rear sprocket of 80something teeth
-it goes plenty fast
-smooth as silk... weird, but cool, to not hear an engine
-want more power, so considering 60V or 72V. :)

Oh, and i did the test drive 'blind'... meaning, i did not have a voltage monitor or any other monitors. I was happy to find that when i pulled into my shop, I immediately touched the motor and it was not warm at all. Neither was the controller. Good stuff.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Not knowing what road you got for testing..
acceleration might indeed be somewhat sluggish on 18" wheels
I mean it's less than 3 horses we talk about essentially ;)

I'm not sure a higher voltage system will get you any benefit really..
in fact if the new motor isn't rated at a higher torque (likely more power too)
you wouldn't gain much tbh.
Not in terms of acceleration that is.
In fact since you need to add batteries in order to step up the voltage,
you might just add weight in the end.

IDK what controller you are running,
in case it's programmable, check if the smooth acceleration ramp can be set to a steeper angle or fully disabled.
Since many controller these days are optimised for 'jerkless' driving the acceleration ramping is rather shallow to make it easier for untrained personell to stay on that kickscooter
you might be able to gain just a tad of fun without any hardware changes ;)

higher capacity batteries might also help to reduce the initial voltage drop
in case that's the reason for an unrestricted acceleration to feel laggy.

Other than that I think a bit of a lower ratio should certainly help.

'sid

PS Pics would indeed be nice ;)

wheels

Reaction score
Forgot to post a pic. Was going to enter this one in the build off... glad I didnt, bc I didnt finish it before 2020 like I thought I would. Anyways. Pic should be attached.

Attachments

• 20200104_171141.jpg
    20200104_171141.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 37

Jim UK

Reaction score
Nice frame work! Surely easier/cheaper if you'd just bought an old ATV frame though?

wheels

Reaction score
Very Nice Job! :thumbsup:

Yup, them big wheels are (negatively) effecting your final gear ratio :huh:

...maybe try a smaller profile tire :cheers2:

Thanks Functional. I changed gearing and it isnt so bad now. :)

Nice frame work! Surely easier/cheaper if you'd just bought an old ATV frame though?

Thanks Jim. They dont exist. :) 'They' refers to a small frame like that resembles a 4 seat sandrail. I am attaching a better pic, which will show what I am talking about.

Attachments

• 20191119_115049.jpg
    20191119_115049.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 28

travbowls

Reaction score
That thing is sweet. Do you have a specific purpse for it? Like run-around camp, when taking the rail out?
What are the batteries you use? And did your 25 min test end when the batteries did, or that's just when you wanted to stop and check everything?
Thanks

wheels

Reaction score
Thanks Trav. Yeah, It's a 'Campground Cruiser'. I built this two seater way 'over the top'... long travel, Air shocks, 18 inch tires, etc. This one is meant to be an attention getter for my business. Purpose of a normal campground cruiser is to cruise the camp grounds while camping/offroading, or use as a personal hunting vehicle, Pit vehicle, etc.

The first ride ended when I decided to stop... b/c i wanted to change some stuff. I then rode it again with my Wife and I on it for about another 5 mins or so. Mighty Max 35AH Gel batteries are actually going into it. I was just testing with the 22AH. The 22AH batteries are going into my 'Micro' build. :)

Quinc

Reaction score
Awesome build! Post some video of it in action! And what is your business?!

wheels

Reaction score
Thanks Quinc. Business is building Campground Cruisers, etc. :) I don't know if it's acceptable to post my website or facebook page... but, if you want to know, PM me.

Jim UK

Reaction score
Thanks Functional. I changed gearing and it isnt so bad now. :)

Thanks Jim. They dont exist. :) 'They' refers to a small frame like that resembles a 4 seat sandrail. I am attaching a better pic, which will show what I am talking about.

Ahh, yes it's bigger than it looked in the first photo. Any idea on final weight and top speed with the 2 of you on it? Also guessing g you're quite light if estimated weight is 300ish lbs, looks around 180lbs without you?

wheels

Reaction score
I weigh 185... so, I was guessing the cruiser weighed between 115 and 140ish lbs. Not sure how much it weighs... but it gets around pretty decent with both my wife and I on it. Top speed, initially, was over 30mph. Now, i believe top speed is around 20 or 25... i would have to use a calculator. :)

Jim UK

Reaction score
Exactly the same weight as me then, and a cracking top speed! My buggy looks a little lighter than yours and comes in at around 220lb with batteries so I should be ok for speed :)

wheels

Reaction score
Ya know Jim... I completely forgot to add the weight of the batteries. Yikes. Lol so, yeah... it is pretty heavy for it's size.

Quinc

Reaction score
The camp ground hosts dont give you any crap having the little buggies?

KingCobra

TROLL CRUSHER INC.
Reaction score
After all that 4 X 4 look of that frame work, it's a shame that it appears you only have 1" to 2" of ground clearance from those rear 'pipe' skids that I suspect are suppose to protect that rear ?sprocket?..... But then again if you take a direct hit to that sprocket with a rock, that's not good ether. I love the frames and they appear to be overdone but that's not a bad thing but that ground clearance is a killer. If those are 4" X 4" golf cart wheel hubs, you could go to 20" or larger. Even if you could eliminate them rear skids, that large sprocket is a handicap for all-terrain travel. Maybe with a gear system or jack shaft, you could reduce the size of that rear sprocket and modify for the reason you need them rear skids and gain some awesome ground clearance and torque + speed. I would love to see a single person mini dune buggy done by you and from what I'm seeing, you can do it. Maybe a mini 8' to 10' sand rail electric powered. That would be cool. I would love to buy one if I could find one. I would love to see photos of your shop and some of the tubing tool cutters you use. I like them buggies!!!! Kinda reminds me of my modified Murrey I built, for ground clearance, mind you LOL..... Yes, it sported golf cart wheel hubs all the way around. It was worth every penny!!

Attachments

• ChopperGokartAirplaneHeloCatsEtc 682.jpg
    ChopperGokartAirplaneHeloCatsEtc 682.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 6