I've Had Two Torque Converters Explode. What Next?

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Curious what bolt length you used and whether you used a spacer?

I have a TAV2 with backplate and used a 3/4" shaft collar plus a 3/4" shim washer from Home Depot to get my belt correctly aligned but each application may be slightly different.

I believe the bolt I sized up was 2-1/4" and I may have filed it down a hair. You can use a zip tie, welding rod or something similar to probe the hole and get your measurement once you've got your alignment good, use the spacer washer and another small washer when probing the length and get a bolt that is just a hair shorter than your measurement to allow a little bolt "stretch" for torquing it down, you dont want the bolt to bottom out.

Dont forget to clean the crank threads well and use blue (semi permanent) threadlocker!

PullHorse

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem as you. First time I used the bolt that came with it and it just backed out. Second time I used the proper bolt with loctite and it broke in the crank. Replaced the crank and got a longer grade 8 bolt with lockwasher torqued down by impact. No issues since.

Kartdude2000

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem as you. First time I used the bolt that came with it and it just backed out. Second time I used the proper bolt with loctite and it broke in the crank. Replaced the crank and got a longer grade 8 bolt with lockwasher torqued down by impact. No issues since.

Interesting. On a predator? What bolt length did you end up with? Did you use a spacer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
I have read of other people having that same problem with the wrong bolt size being supplied. Just curious....are these actually Comet units being talked about or foreign knockoffs ??? Or maybe both. Sounds like it's best to confirm somehow the proper size bolt and not take it for granted the supplied bolt is correct. Good info to pass along..........thanks

anickode

Reaction score
I have read of other people having that same problem with the wrong bolt size being supplied. Just curious....are these actually Comet units being talked about or foreign knockoffs ??? Or maybe both. Sounds like it's best to confirm somehow the proper size bolt and not take it for granted the supplied bolt is correct. Good info to pass along..........thanks

The "right" bolt is REALLY dependant on the engine you have. Most use the same 5/16" fine thread, but shaft lengths vary, and if you don't have more than a couple threads engaged into the shaft, it doesn't matter how tight you crank it or what threadlocker you put in it, it ain't gonna stay put.

It also wouldn't surprise me to find out they throw the cheapest of crap steel bolts in there to keep cost down. I tend to throw out the hardware that comes with most Chinese stuff. Too soft of steel, crap tolerances, strips out easily, etc. Can't even count how many bags of hardware I've thrown out from stuff from harbor freight. Sand blaster, tool carts, etc.

PullHorse

Reaction score
Interesting. On a predator? What bolt length did you end up with? Did you use a spacer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predator 212 and chinese knockoff tav. No spacer and I believe its 2.25" or 2.5". I can't check atm. I bought a bunch of grade 8 bolts of varying length and used the longest one possible. The kart wasn't at WOT or anything like that both of the times it 'blew'.

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
Yes what Nickode says makes sense to me. Seems well worthwhile to upgrade your hardware when you install the converter. Small price to pay to do the best you can for such an important part.

I wonder if the hardware that comes with the USA made, true Comet units is upgraded??? I have heard all the parts on these units are much higher quality than the knockoffs.

Like we've all heard before "buy the best and only cry once".

Not to beat a dead horse but the crank your bolting into is still built with the same Chinese tolerances. The price of a Predator engine makes it hard to ignore as a viable option. Apparently they have been working out pretty well.