I've Had Two Torque Converters Explode. What Next?

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
I have a 212 predator on my go kart. It has a stage 1 performance kit from GoPowerSports. This engine powers a 30 series torque converter.
There's been two instances where I've been riding it and one piece of the torque converter (the piece on the engine) has shot off leaving it in pieces and an unrepairable state. The first time it happened I bought a replacement and threw it on. It's been a few months since then and the other day the replacement did the same thing! I don't know what to do. Should I consider a centrifugal clutch? Do I need a better torque converter? Am I putting it on wrong? Any help would be appreciated

anickode

Reaction score
I didn't put any loctite on. Would that be causing problems?

If the bolt comes even part way out the whole thing can come apart. It doesn't take much to allow it to over expand and fly apart.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Is the crankshaft bolt tightened on with blue LOCTITE???

The kit that I got from eBay had thread locker applied to the bolt already, but that doesn't mean all of em do.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Make sure the bolt is long enough also especially after spacing out the driver clutch for alignment, the bolt that came with my kit would've only been holing on by about a 1/2" of thread (IF it was even the right thread pattern-another story)! With the clutch all assembled and spaced properly I used a welding rod or a zip tie or something similar to probe the hole and figure out a good length that would not only engage more threads but gave me a "safety margin" where the bolt wouldn't bottom out when torqued down. Better safe than sorry right! Lol

I'm sure I don't have as much runtime as you but there's no sign of it coming out. With threadlocker I like to give it at least an hour to "set up" before I put any stress on it, for all the times I've used it in various applications I've never had one failure.

BigWes

Reaction score
Yeah, the damage would indicate that the bolt did come loose as everyone said. I would only add that when you install the next one to ensure without a doubt you have positive engagement of your locking flats as well. And as said above...a quality 5/16*24 zinc plated grade 8 bolt is a good choice. If you can get your hands on an impact wrench it sure makes life easier.

Kartdude2000

Reaction score
5/16-24 is the bolt you need. The ones that come with the torque converter are usually the wrong one.

I’m putting a predator engine on my yerfdog 3203, is the bolt the same? What grade bolt? I’ve heard some say fine threaded?

mckutzy

Reaction score
As stated above, gr8 is good..
5/16"-24 is NF... Or national fine..
But check what it says in the motor manual. Could be metric.

Kartdude2000

Reaction score
As stated above, gr8 is good..
5/16"-24 is NF... Or national fine..
But check what it says in the motor manual. Could be metric.

Looks like is is indeed what you said.

I don’t recall if I need a collar/spacer or anything or if the driver just bolts directly on... not sure of bolt length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk