I've Created a Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
More to the point, I've become the monster...

Ever since I set up my metal polisher I can't find enough things to polish. Now, don't get me wrong, there's a list but, essentially, I got it to do my wheels but, I also polished the wheel hubs, the sprocket & brake disc hubs, the ait filter adaptor, I even started on the axle... I CAN'T STOP! :ack2: :smiley_omg: :eek:

After completing the column panel for the AusEx the other day I thought "it has a few marks & scratches, I better polish them out".

As I was fitting it I looked at the shiny, chrome plated steering shaft & up to the steering wheel adaptor & thought "that looks too dull, it needs polishing..." to make matters worse, it was rough cast so, before I polished it, I put it in the lathe to dress it... Then, when I put it back on the steering wheel looked out of place so I started sanding it (have you ever tried to remove the finish off one of those suckers? I have no idea what it is but, IT'S ON THERE!)

Now, a short story long: At the beginning of my working life, I was working as an apprentice mechanic in a Rolls-Royce service centre. One day while cleaning, I noticed a lone piston under one of the mechanics bench so, I asked "what's this?"
Him: It's a piston
Me: No kidding but, what's it from
Him: A 350 Chev
followed by banter about why a 350 Chev piston is under his bench in a Rolls-Royce service centre & he's a Ford nut...
Me: Can I have it?
Him: What for?
Me: I think it'll make a cool ashtray
Him: Yeah sure, let's go turn up a gudgeon plug...

As the rings were also intact, I used the thin lock rings in the oil ring groove to fill the open gap in said oil ring groove.

I was happy with it but, it always annoyed me how dull & grey it was. numerous attempts to polish it went unrewarded...

Fast forward 25 years &, again, I thought "I'm gonna try polishing it again but, this time, I'm gonna sandblast it first."

Well, 2 hours later, it was blasted & polished but, by then it was too dark to take a pic of the finished product :oops:

I do, however, have before & post blast pics for you to enjoy for now plus a bonus pic of the steering wheel mid sanding...

Attachments

• IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 23

OzFab

Reaction score
Ok, it's light out so, here's some pics. Enjoy :D

Attachments

• IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0172.jpg
    IMAG0172.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0171.jpg
    IMAG0171.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 26

OzFab

Reaction score
Dang it Sid, did you have to say that?

I just spent the best part of an hour cleaning the carb & polishing the fuel bowl, fuel tap bowl & cover (NO, I'M NOT POLISHING THE CARB!)

Better?

Attachments

• IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 49

OzFab

Reaction score
Sorry :roflol:

But yes, it looks much better now :D

'sid

You're welcome :toetap05: :lolgoku:

Rocker cover?
Head?
:lolgoku:

The rocker cover is still coming from my buddy who "dressed it up" for me...

Head? HELL NO! Seriously, I thought about polishing the whole engine but, it was the head that ended that idea; polishing between the fins would be a nightmare & would take forever...

Nice work!

If I lived in Sydney I would pop over with my engine - The Victa would look awesome with a mirror finish crankcase!!

In a way, I'm glad you don't then... :lolgoku: See comment above

OzFab

Reaction score
Hm.. I'm terribly sorry Tony...
but on your last picture
View attachment 40265

the edge of your cylinder head there..:innocent:

'sid

Relax, that's not the head, only the rocker cover, which will be changed in a matter of days...

What steps do you take to polish one piece?

Depends on the piece...

Wheels:
-First step was sandblasting (around half hour per wheel.
-Then I had to sand them with multiple grades (240, 400 & 1500 all wet) to get them smooth,
-then run them on a sisal wheel to remove all the deep scratches & create a shine,
-then a cotton wheel to get the ultra shine.

Instead of sanding, I could've just spent more time on the sisal wheel but, because they're a hard alloy, it was quicker to sand them. Total time, start to finish, about 3-4 hours per wheel!

Piston Ashtray: Apart from the gudgeon plug & skirt seal, the only thing I've done is polish it, no sanding at all...
-Sandblast it, 20 minutes
-Sisal wheel for about 1 hour
-Cotton wheel for about 10 minutes

Carb bits: Most of the time here was in R & R; polishing only took about 30 minutes all up, 15 of that was on the adaptor...

Steering Wheel: This took a long time because I didn't want to sandblast it as it may have damaged the fabric so, sanding it took about 2 hours, 20 minutes on the sisal wheel & 10 minutes on the cotton wheel.

Sisal Wheel: Basically, the cutting wheel, it has thicker, harder strands to removes scratches & imperfections & get the metal as smooth as possible.

Cotton Wheel: The final polishing wheel with thinner, softer strands to get into all the minute scratches & create that "chrome finish" shine.

Attachments

• Sisal Wheel.jpg
    Sisal Wheel.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Sisal Strands.jpg
    Sisal Strands.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Cotton Wheel.jpg
    Cotton Wheel.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 12
  • Cotton Strands.jpg
    Cotton Strands.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 12

mckutzy

Reaction score
I see you have multiple "butter bars"(in school we called they that) What kind of bars are they(or are they the grits above mentioned)?

OzFab

Reaction score
(or are they the grits above mentioned)?

No, I was referring to sandpaper back there...

I see you have multiple "butter bars"(in school we called they that) What kind of bars are they

As you may have guessed, different coloured bars are different grade & type of compound for different applications:

Polish Colours/Grades
Black: Cut - Low sheen for hard metals
Brown: Cut & Polish - Mid shine, high cut, soft metals
Green : Cut & Polish - High shine, low cut, all metals
Blue: Cut & Polish - Bright finish, all metals

I use the blue specifically for finishing so, it's the only one that goes on the cotton wheel.

Of the other three, I find the brown works the best across the board for cutting/buffing. Althought it's recommended for soft metals, I find it also works well on steel...

Status
Not open for further replies.