Invest in billet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Another thing worth considering is the shrouds. They work hand in hand to direct the fan-forced air around the engine's Cooling fins. If one is missing, it negates the other. Take the fan away, and the wind cannot cool the engine because the shrouding is in the way. Take the shrouds away, and the fan just blows out at a tangent, doing nothing.

If I were to run without a fan (say, nothing but high speed... Track?) I would remove both the fan, and the shrouds.

mike.

Reaction score
On the topic of cooling, I keep thinking about experimenting with water cooling. Maybe surrounding the cylinder with a sleeve and filling it with water like those old time engines they put on tractors back in the 30s and 40s. Just for fun really. Actually, I think I'll try that.

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Reaction score
On the topic of cooling, I keep thinking about experimenting with water cooling. Maybe surrounding the cylinder with a sleeve and filling it with water like those old time engines they put on tractors back in the 30s and 40s. Just for fun really. Actually, I think I'll try that.

yeah. i was gonna try a small rad and surround the engine with a cooling jacket. use the same coolant used in auto mobiles and have a fan and a pump to keep it moving.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
If you really wanted to give this a go, you could try wrapping soft copper tubing around the cylinder and head. You could use thermal paste- or better yet, solder- to improve the heat transfer between the aluminum and copper. Connect a pump and radiator, and sort out a way to regulate the temperature.

This really would be re-inventing the wheel, as the factory cooling systems on these engines work very well. But it could be done for experimentation or proof-of-concept.

gixxerkart

Big Boss
Reaction score
Hmm... Going downhill, no load. Engine was supposedly at 8k? If that was the normal max operating rpm, going downhill(with no load) I would think the engine exceeded normal max rpms and grenaded. So, was that a forged rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.