Status
Not open for further replies.

mike.

Reaction score
8,000 RPM.

It was fun while it lasted.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Details, man, details! Modifications, operating conditions, engine type... Do tell! If there's a lesson to be had, learn 'em!

I notice it was the conrod that failed, not the 'wheel... Just sayin'!

mike.

Reaction score
Haha it was on a 1973 Briggs 5HP flat head. Not mine. Tillotson carb, custom header, and modified flywheel is all I know for mods. Speed was just over 50 mph downhill, gearing tells us it was close to 8000 rpm. The sound was scary, even before it blew. I thought the flywheel detonated at first!

No lessons learned. We are gonna do it again.

Just kidding.

But seriously we are going to do it again.

Edit:
It had springs and valves from another engine too. Not sure what engine.

Edit 2:
The spark plug is broke, the threads are intact but the insulator is almost gone. Piston may have hit it?

Last edited:

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
the piston probably hit it if it was going up when the rod broke.. good thing its a flathead or you could have bent the valves

did anything else get damaged? that rod really broke in a lot of pieces haha. ive only seen rods broken from no oil.

mike.

Reaction score
Block has a hole in it from where the rest of the rod went. Thats the only damage I know of right now. Wasn't too concerned with anything else as much as we were amazed by that rod.

mike.

Reaction score
I will take a pic of the block when I get a chance but its just a hole. Really clean.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Wow! I am normally a cheapskate, but here I would have said a billet rod and a better FW were vital!

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
Haha it was on a 1973 Briggs 5HP flat head. Not mine. Tillotson carb, custom header, and modified flywheel is all I know for mods. Speed was just over 50 mph downhill, gearing tells us it was close to 8000 rpm. The sound was scary, even before it blew. I thought the flywheel detonated at first!

No lessons learned. We are gonna do it again.

Just kidding.

But seriously we are going to do it again.

Edit:
It had springs and valves from another engine too. Not sure what engine.

Edit 2:
The spark plug is broke, the threads are intact but the insulator is almost gone. Piston may have hit it?

when you say modified flywheel do you mean billet?but no load can make an engine blow, if it was bring riden it may not have blown the con rod

mike.

Reaction score
when you say modified flywheel do you mean billet?but no load can make an engine blow, if it was bring riden it may not have blown the con rod

The fins were machined off and it was rebalanced. It was being ridden, only down hill. We know thats why it blew :roflol:

mike.

Reaction score
Machined off? Why would anyone do that? There goes your cooling system!

lol it lightens the flywheel and lets it accelerate faster! I would never do it but it's not as uncommon as you might think. I think one of the fins may have been broken or gone anyway. JR dragsters have fin-less flywheels a lot of times, too.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Machined off? Why would anyone do that? There goes your cooling system!

Its fine as long as the engine doesn't idle for too long.
Think about it- these enngines are designed to run clogged with grass and mud in an almost stationary position.
On a kart or bike air is rushing past the engine.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
A lot of it depends on conditions. Riding like I do, I would never consider going finless. Lets also not forget that a dragster makes a fast, short run.

Status
Not open for further replies.