Hello. My 6hp Tecumseh has one of those carbs that are completely non-adjustable. It idles a little too high, but is there any way to lower the idle? Carb was just rebuilt.
Thanks!
It's there somewhere, there's an idle adjustment on pretty much every carb ever built; post some pics of your carb so we can see exactly which one you have...
It's there somewhere, there's an idle adjustment on pretty much every carb ever built; post some pics of your carb so we can see exactly which one you have...
From reading about the clones purchased in California. If you have bought yours in Cali, or online and was identified as being CARB compliant, chances are this is why your carb is non adjustable.
But as Fabroman pointed out, the adjustment is more than likely still there. On the CARB approved clone engines, the adjustment screw was epoxied over. Reports from those that have them say it is possible to uncover.
If it's the carb I'm thinking of- there should be a screw on top that controls the butterfly. That is probably the only adjustment there is. An idle needle and seat wouldn't control speed anyway to any degree-it controls air/fuel mixture and either that's right or it's wrong.
So unless it is idling poorly, those epoxied screws don't need to be messed with.
It's also possible that it has nothing to do with the carb. The idle screw could be retracted far enough to idle correctly but the throttle cable adjustment off or something in this governor linkage binding.
Anyway- look there. The plate on top should hit the screw.If it does-then back it off.If not you have one of the other problems.
There is no idle screw. I just noticed that the little tab connected to the butterfly plate stops when it hits the carb body. I might try to bend it a little to see if the idle comes down.
Thankyou.
That explains a lot. Based on the Tec carbs I've seen, that one's incomplete, there should be another linkage that controls the main butterfly linkage, that's where the idle screw is...
That's a little weird to me. I think I see the governor linkage in the back. At any rate- the throttle cable should hook up to a throttle plate which hooks up to the governor arm at the bottom with a spring and a link. This is on the other side of the motor from where the throttle cable is now. Someone's bypassed the governor but did a hack job of it.I'll see if I can post some pics after the Cowboys game.
Oh well- it's just the Iggles, so I can post between plays.
The first pic shows the governor arm and carb link and the spring on the bottom. The second one shows the spring and link and part of the throttle plate. Your engine may be different but this is pretty standard.
Model# is OHH60 71131D. As seen in my pic...I added a spring on the left...to just make sure the butterfly always closes. There isn't any sign of where an idle screw would be. The governor works fine.
What is happening is when the engine is at idle(a little too high)...the clutch expands a little and the rear wheels start turning. The clutch is nice and clean inside and I lubed it with graphite powder. If I can't bring the idle down, then there must be something I can do to the clutch to stop it from expanding so much at idle.
Otherwise....the kart runs great.
I appreciate your time and info!
Guys.....there is NO idle screw on this carb. Take my word for it. I guess the carb isn't original.
So does anyone know of a trick to keep the clutch from spreading out so much at idle?
Thanks gents!
I believe him that there is no idle screw on the carb. I just haven't gotten around to researching where it is. Fabroman is correct in that it is not on the carb. Some Tecumsehs adjust by linkage to the throttle plate.
The 0HH50s adjust at the carb in the older models and in the linkage with the newer models. Given that this is an OHH60- it should be very similar only 1hp more.
I haven't gotten on this too quickly because the OP says the butterfly plate tab is hitting the carb body and if so I don't see how a linkage adjustment is going to fix that. He has even added a spring to make sure it returns all the way. I think we're at the point where bending the tab is probably the solution.
Unfortunately- the only picture of the situation showes a real nice shot of the primer bulb and not much else.
To the OP: Take off the air filter and look at the throttle butterfly. Bend the tab so that it is barely open. That has to work I would think. Anyway, there isn't much point in looking anywhere else if that tab is hitting the carb body.
Try that and if the tab doesn't hit the carb after bending or you have any other problems- let us know. And let us know if you get it fixed.
I appreciate the info from you guys but you are going overboard with this....trying to tell me that there is a "idle adjustment screw." The tab is resting on the body of the carb....that's what stops it. THERE IS NOT A IDLE ADJUSTMENT SCREW ON THIS CARB!!!!!! I bent the tab a little but it didn't lower the idle because the butterfly plate can't close anymore than it is.
I saw another 6hp Tecumseh today at a lawn mower junk yard and the carb was completely different than mine....so yes.....my carb is not original equipment.