I need help buying stuff!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurph

Code Poet
Reaction score
Wow, Kartermicah, I'm sorry that so many people have been so discouraging. This is not too common here.

Guys, Everyone knows you can achieve your heart's desire with an engine, and if a briggs isn't enough you can tear one off of a bike of your choice and essentially write your own top speed. I don't feel like kartermicah was ignorant to this fact. If you know a motor and controller setup within his price range, or within his speed range, let him know. If your engine is faster than an electric motor, that's expected, and there's plenty of threads for talking about that. But please don't discourage him. We're in the electric section here. The engine talk is for all other sections.

There's just nothing wrong with going electric. Sure he won't have a kart to take to the track, and maybe he could go a lot faster for cheaper with an engine. Maybe he has 3 super fast engine-driven karts and wants to venture into the electronic world.

How much does your rolling chassis weigh and how much do you weigh? This will help in estimating your actual speed.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Not knocking the electric world, I myself have built a electric scooter project. Works pretty good and pulls me to 30 kmh for about 45 minutes straight. Incase you where wondering my setup is a 250 watt motor, 2, 7.5 AH 12 volt batteries to make a total of 24 volts and I used a rv/marine grade starter solenoid for a controller. One speed of course:)

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
i was reading through this thread thinking erm why do we have an electric section, if were just going to talk about gas engines. if he wants electric, let him have it, there are many reasons people want electric.

i was thinking something loke this
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/36vocove1.html
andthis
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...t-11-tooth-8mm-05t-chain-sprocket-my1020.html
but i am not great with electric.
edit: mabie this motor
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...r-11-tooth-8mm-05t-chain-sprocket-my1020.html

speedracerrc

Reaction score
I may have a solution

Check out my post... I posted it before reading yours...
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6418

Motor for $100
Controller for $180
Batteries for $91

Its a heckuva lot more HP than I've ever seen anybody else use... Not sure why nobody else uses winch motors...

Batteries will push you over the $300 but maybe not by a lot?

You could go with smaller batteries like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-UB12220-12V-22Ah-Sealed-Lead-Acid-SLA-Scooter-Battery_W0QQitemZ120514364676QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0f374504
Gives you a total of 44AH at 24V... Maybe not a ton of runtime but only $91...

This puts you at $371... I'm doing the same thing btw unless somebody tells me I'm an idiot... I'm putting mine into a powerwheels mustang...:auto:

Oops forgot, you'll need one of these:
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/RL-SRVTST.html
Or you could use a remote control! Thats how I have done them in the past, but that little dealie basically puts out the same signal that RC receivers do... these are used in robots, but are more awesome than any scooter controller I have seen... very robust.

Now you're at about an even $400 once you buy the wires to connect it all up...

Last edited:

kartermicah

Reaction score
Thanks Smurph, my go kart is about 110 pounds??? i can carry it around but its pretty tough. Also 300 is tops/spending alot for me cuz i dont have all that much money. I have an extreme xp-700 pocket bike and i gutted that of its stuff and put it into my go kart and im going to see how it goes. if it kicks *** then ima go electric, although im pretty sure its not enough. i might go gas because there is an engine store near my house but who knows i could go electric!

joshpit2003

Reaction score
thank you FBW4 for backing up this guys electric idea.
I made an electric skateboard... I used two 300 W motors (one for each rear wheel).
The thing is a kick-in-the-pants to ride, accelerates like crazy and hits 18 mph. I could have geared it higher, but 18 mph on a skateboard that weighs 60 pounds is plenty fast for me.

i'll try and find the name of the guys I got my motors from... I believe I paid only 100 bucks for 'em both, plus a speed controller.

I'm willing to bet you could get 30 mph for 300 bucks.
stick w/ electric... the cops wont hassle you as much if you wear a bike helmet when you ride it.

now lemme go find you that link....

joshpit2003

Reaction score
sorry I didn't see there was a second page until just now! Duh!

Anyhow... My motors show: http://www.unitemotor.com
but it looks like that chinese website is no longer working. I didn't order from those guys though, I ordered from some australlian company who must have gotten their motors (mine) from china.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/motors1.html

this seems like a nice place to get 'em... i think the same place is linked a few times above.
keep in mind 750 watt= 1 hp. If I were to guess what you would want to get going 30 mph I would guess in the 1000-1200 range.

bugatti_gokart

Reaction score
Although I can't vouch for the results first hand, I've seriously considered the parts from a Razor MX-650 dirtbike for an electric project. The price for the electric components would run somewhere in that general area I think. Here are references for some pieces that you can buy direct at http://www.partsforscooters.com. Note that I have nothing to do with that site whatsoever, just a site that I stumbled across. I have yet to have purchased anything from them so if you go with these guys please share your experience.

The look to have batteries, throttle controllers, as well as wheels (something I'm considering) but it doesn't look like they have the motor itself. I thought they used to.

Amazon notes the Razor MX650 with:
# Compact electric motocross bike with powerful 650-watt electric motor
# Carries riders at speeds of up to 17 mph; authentic dirt bike frame geometry
# Supports up to 200 lbs.

I'd suspect that if you had a smaller rider, and a lighter kart, you could build something in the 18-20mph range with these components. Maybe finding something like this used would work?

Good luck and definitely share any progress you make here.

Regards,
Jas

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
fbw4, that is straight gearing though right? installing a properly tuned tav or two speed auto tranny should get you higher speeds and conserve battery. someone had a vid on here of an electric kart with four car batteries on it. it would spin the crap out of the tires. it was a dough-nut machine! he needed to gear higher. i want to say he quoted a 40mph top end. get a high output alt or gen and drive it off the motor to prolong riding times.

FBW4

Reaction score
Yes all my Karts are straight gearing. I don’t know of a cheep way to gear them. The 48volt system is just about right for our cul-d-sac, you need to work the throttle or you slide around too much. With the stock 36volt system you can just keep the peddle to the flour. And of course the high powered kart is just insane.

Linksep

Reaction score
2.2 HP motor brand new $305 or $320. 15 or 69 ft*lbs torque (depending on if you choose high speed or high torque model).

http://www.dcwaterjet.com/dustin.shtml

I was thinking about using that motor for an e-bike. For a kart 2 motors, each driving its own wheel would be cool... 4 motors and AWD :drool5: would be even better (but you'd need big wheels to get any speed out of direct drive 675 rpm high-torque motors).

10.5" tire = 21mph
12.5" tire = 25mph
14.7" tire = 30mph

jmadden91

Reaction score

truesprocket

Central Canadian
Reaction score
cool , how much was the controller?

That's a cool little cart, pretty quick, like to see it full blast! I'm trying to through one together so any advice would be great, how long will it last on a full charge? beautty eh! love it!I just checked out you'r other toy's You'r really good at this stuff, I love the offroa cart that's what I'd like to wind up throughing together soon(er or later) . will my motor work good ? it's a 12volt MET model #5b-12263156 but I couldn't find it on there site the closest was #5b-12262756, & it was 1.5HP & 600to 3200RPM's, I wanted 4 but had to take 9 to get them, sold 2 so far & 2 more to go.I'm planing a gocart, a Suzuki 185 enduro aSeaFlea miniboat & atleast 1 more bike, any used controllers you want to sell or swap let me know
haha thats unreal mate congrats :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCF9354.jpg
    DSCF9354.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF9341.jpg
    DSCF9341.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 7

truesprocket

Central Canadian
Reaction score
electric Rupp

Hey guy's, put together my Rupp electric, but to much like this, even just the motor is to heavy on it how it is so, for this project I'm going to down size , I bought an ac motor controller(I was told) but small, so my question is does any one know how to connect it properly & is it really anything useable for something like what I'm planning, I'd like to hook up batteries to a DC to AC cigarette lighter adapter, then through this board & to a speed control & to an AC motor , I'm thinking it won't be powerfull enough so could I use twice the batteries through 2 lighter adapters to the controller or even a dimmer control, would this work or should I not waiste my time trying, the board's were $1 so no big loss if not but would be nice

Attachments

• DSCF9448.jpg
    DSCF9448.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF9452.jpg
    DSCF9452.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF9464.JPG
    DSCF9464.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF9462.JPG
    DSCF9462.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF9450.jpg
    DSCF9450.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6

jrmints1415

Reaction score
wait a second, if you said you were comfortable with electronics why are you making them do the researching for you? Don't be lazy, sure this is a forum but the best way to learn is do it yourself! Once you find something post it and we will tell you if it will work, don't ask us to do the boring stuff for you.

speedracerrc

Reaction score
??

Does that thing run now? If it truly is an AC motor, it's going to be very very expensive for a controller, and nope there's no way those boards are going to handle the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.