I have...an idea...

Reaction score
So have you ever seen those omnidirectional vehicles with funny-looking wheels, like in this video:

Well now you have. I want to make a little go kart with those wheels. I found I can get little 4" ones from McMaster-Carr for less than $80 ea. with 200lbs/wheel capacity, and bigger ones for more: https://www.mcmaster.com/omnidirectional-wheels

I'd probably just save and get the 4" since it would mainly just be a "just because" project and probably wouldn't get a lot of use.

As far as making it work, I'd find some sort of joysticks for the hand controls, and I'd probably use an Arduino or something like that to handle interpretation from the joysticks to 4 individual 250-500w motors and their independent controllers.

Sounds like a neat project, huh!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the larger ones that are rather commonly put on forklifts for "narrow" storages

decently sized (13" or such) good weight allowance ...
unfortunately very indecently priced last time I checked

'sid

Reaction score
I like the larger ones that are rather commonly put on forklifts for "narrow" storages

decently sized (13" or such) good weight allowance ...
unfortunately very indecently priced last time I checked

'sid
Yeah the 10" ones are like $233/ea., I don't even want to think about 13" ones lol.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Y'all are missing it, the point is not 360's at 20mph, it's strafing right/left/diagonally at 20mph!
So... how is this thing slowing down? All regen braking? Physical brakes on all four axles? That's probably going to be the scariest part.

Reaction score
So... how is this thing slowing down? All regen braking? Physical brakes on all four axles? That's probably going to be the scariest part.
At this point the plan is strictly electronic breaking. I'm not planning on the thing actually going very fast, probably only a man speed on like 10mph forward, which would limit strafing to something like ½ of that.

Reaction score
I think to save on space and weight I'll use RC car motors. But I'll have to figure out a gear box design as a lot of them are rated 40,000+rpms. I think that'll be the best option but we'll see.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
I think to save on space and weight I'll use RC car motors. But I'll have to figure out a gear box design as a lot of them are rated 40,000+rpms. I think that'll be the best option but we'll see.
I use a couple of Traxxas motors in my son's Jeep and my wife (<100lbs) can drive it around a bit, so it could work but watch out for heat. Moving lots of weight uses lots of power and I've had issues in the past with both controllers and motors burning out.