I don't take long... sort of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckutzy

Reaction score
oh sad...
Is it a sinkhole or or did some fighting happen in the area....like a mortar shell hit or something.....

edit: is this a real pic or is this another internet hokum......funny but now confused....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
it's shooped!

'sid

PS Andre Coetze made it.. he even signed it (bottom right corner)
and AFAIK he's from Johannesburg... (according to him the pothole is very real though)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the potholes here are bad, but we don't get giraffe in them. We do have some that are good fishing holes. This is just a tiny one

Attachments

• tmp_17501-pothole674091134.jpg
    tmp_17501-pothole674091134.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 5

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
The second Pic on the right explains the Potholes!
and the 3rd Pic "FLOOR IT HAROLD!!!!"
dang that is a big animal!!!

OzFab

Reaction score
Moving right along, time to make a loading ramp/gate to match the cage so, purchased a length of 30mm x 30mm x 2.5mm square tube & fabbed up a frame; in the process, I asked my S-I-L if he knew how to weld; when he answered "no" I asked "wanna learn?" Of course, he jumped at the chance...

He's bright & eager to learn but, hasn't taken the time to learn many real skills; after some quick instructions & a demo, I set him loose on the frame...

I still can't believe he's never used a welder before, some of his welds were better than mine :smiley_omg:

Anyhoo, I then made hinges using 3mm (1/8") steel plate & 10mm (3/8") round bar & a mounting plate for the licence plate holder...

See, when I built the trailer, I did so with this in mind so, I made the licence plate to be removable with the lights intact; two security bolts & two wires & the whole assembly can be removed from the standard tailgate & attached to the new ramp gate...

Now to weld on the mesh, make a couple of latches & it's ready to go...

Attachments

• IMAG1299.jpg
    IMAG1299.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1298.jpg
    IMAG1298.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1297.jpg
    IMAG1297.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1296.jpg
    IMAG1296.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG1294.jpg
    IMAG1294.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1300.jpg
    IMAG1300.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1301.jpg
    IMAG1301.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 4

mckutzy

Reaction score
Thats pretty slick
I reckon a troop of kangaroos will fit...... Or the ones you might hit on the road....

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I still can't believe he's never used a welder before, some of his welds were better than mine :smiley_omg:

SOME? Since when does autocorrect change "all" to "some"? And you DO know Australians go the same place as the rest of the world for lying?

Besides....Texans have a patent on that sort of thing.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

A Texan starts to tell a story: "I got up this morning..." Whoa!!! Stop right there feller.

"Ok....so my wife drug me out of bed...." Whoa! Stop right there!

"Ok...so the wife drags me out of the PICKUP bed this morning...." Whoa!...

"Ok ...Ok...this afternoon...." Fine! Now go ahead and tell the story.....

"Heck....I forgot what I was talking about....hand me a beer....I got a hangover...."

OzFab

Reaction score
I said "some" because he messed up a few at the beginning but, once he got into it...

So how many goats?:roflol:

Depends on the weight of the goats :lolgoku:

Thats pretty slick
I reckon a troop of kangaroos will fit...... Or the ones you might hit on the road....

Funny you should say that; in the past month I've driven around 2500kms, mostly through bushland & I didn't even see any 'roos... except the ones that had already been hit, probably because most of that driving was at night...

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Now that looks like a really neat cage to haul the kids around in. No more fighting in the back seat and they all get a window. :roflol:

Denny

OzFab

Reaction score
Umm, thanks but, that would cost me a fortune...

So, yesterday, I spent 2 hours driving around town trying to find springs for the latches; there's a big chain hardware in town but, being a small town, they don't carry everything seen on the website...

I could detail every step but, let's just say that two hardware stores & two engineering supplies don't carry them; the only two sources I found were an auto parts store which wanted $5.60 per spring & a spring manufacturer who wanted $6.60 per spring, prices I wasn't willing to pay for a 1"x5/8" spring...

Then I had a brainstorm & headed for the local wrecking (auto salvage) yard, found a suitable vehicle & removed the brake drum shoe retaining springs; PERFECT; $5 for 4, EVEN BETTER!

Everything is now in place &/or tacked, only need to finish all the welds & I'm done... until I get paint...

Attachments

• IMAG1305.jpg
    IMAG1305.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1306.jpg
    IMAG1306.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1307.jpg
    IMAG1307.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 6

mckutzy

Reaction score
I like the latch idea...
If it were me how ever, Id tack a few small nuts on either side of the latch bar( in the lock down position)... that way if it swings about or what ever, it has to overcome the hump of the nut despite the spring present.....
Kinda like a ball detent....
Could also have a slip cover for a lock and could be a locking gate...

Overall cool little trailer.....

OzFab

Reaction score
If you pay close attention to pic #1, you'll notice I ground a slot in the brackets which hold the handle in place but, your post made me think so, I think I might run a small weld on either ide for added safety...

Could also have a slip cover for a lock and could be a locking gate...

Tell me more...

Status
Not open for further replies.