i broke my spindle mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
ok i hit a pot hole and i broke my spindle mount clean in half the bottom part of the spindle just broke clean off.....im wondering how i should fix it should i put a thicker peice of metal under it and weld it back togeather.........heres a pic........

jr dragster T

Reaction score
you might want to get a whole new bracket set. The thickness of that bracket is WAY to thin. If you just want to repair it you could just bend it back and weld it.

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
man that does look thin didnt get hurt did you. i would upgrade to a lot stronger spindle setup.

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
to me it looks pretty rough i would put new ones on if what me but thats just my 2 cents.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Is it a solid piece of bent iron that broke off? I would think if you can get it back in place and make it line up properly, maybe just welding it all around might work. Might look kinda ghetto, but you could grind down all the rough spots and make it look a little better. Remove the paint around it first.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah it just looks like a bent into place C bracket it should be 1/4 thick and cut and welded at a perfect 90 degree angle.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
im gonna cut off both the old ones and weld up some new ones but i might just fix the one that broke and reinfoce them so it doesent happen again.....any ideas on that???

noley99

Reaction score
im gonna cut off both the old ones and weld up some new ones but i might just fix the one that broke and reinfoce them so it doesent happen again.....any ideas on that???

What size are the spindle bolts. I have some old brackets laying in the garage.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
the spindle bolts i think...are 2 5/8 inch i think though but i took a peice of 1/4 inch thick steel that was already made into the perfect shape i needed it was shaped like this
-------
I
I
I
-------
sorry for the crappy drawing but i dident feel like looking for a pic but the corners are perfect 90 degree angles and the inside corners are reinforced and its like 5/8 think on the corners but yea im figurin this out slowly but surly thanks for all the help guys....oh yea im doing this in my shop class at school and my teacher is really impresed because of all the help you guys been giving me.....thanks again:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

noley99

Reaction score
the spindle bolts i think...are 2 5/8 inch i think though but i took a peice of 1/4 inch thick steel that was already made into the perfect shape i needed it was shaped like this
-------
I
I
I
-------
sorry for the crappy drawing but i dident feel like looking for a pic but the corners are perfect 90 degree angles and the inside corners are reinforced and its like 5/8 think on the corners but yea im figurin this out slowly but surly thanks for all the help guys....oh yea im doing this in my shop class at school and my teacher is really impresed because of all the help you guys been giving me.....thanks again:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If that doesn't work out PM me your addy and I will sent them to you. There yours if you want them.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
how think are they but i will keep you updated on what i am doing with the cart im off of school until wednesday so i cant work on my cart till then but ill keep you updated on what i am doin... thanks agian

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
so did you fix that front spindel you can buy a new c-bracket for about 4.00 ..8.00 a pair if you decide no to use the old one.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
yea i fixed it the alignment was a little screwed up but i fixed it with the tie rods but i used the channel drilled some holes into it then i welded them onif you want i will post some pics but it came out pretty good i think for my first major repair......

Status
Not open for further replies.