I am looking for a diaphragm cover screw/bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Hi guys. I have a Briggs 3HP flathead which has a pulse jet carb. When I got the engine I was missing one of the screws that hold down the diaphragm plate on the carb. I have been scouring the whole of the country and cannot seem to find one like it. These engines are just not so popular here.

I was wondering if anyone had one, or a set, and was willing to post it to me. It will probably only be envelope size, so shouldn't cost too much.

I am willing to pay for postage.

As most of you know, I live in South Africa.

Please PM me if you can maybe help me out.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 18062011451.jpg
    18062011451.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
Is the bolt metric or imperial

Is it fine or coarse thread

I'm sure u will never find the exact bolt
But u will easily find one like it

If u can't I'll pull one out of the bolt rack at work
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Is the bolt metric or imperial

Is it fine or coarse thread

I'm sure u will never find the exact bolt
But u will easily find one like it

If u can't I'll pull one out of the bolt rack at work

I had the engine at the repair shop a while ago, and they said to me that it was an American size bolt/screw, and that I would not find it around here. I am assuming it is imperial.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Do you have any way of taking measurements in Imperial? That would help. If that fails, maybe find the closest metric equivalent, and we can figure out the imperial from there. Perhaps, somebody can just send you a small assortment of imperial machine screws, and surely to god something will fit. We've gotta be able to solve this.

Hey- What about just drilling and re-tapping to the next closest metric?
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Do you have any way of taking measurements in Imperial? That would help. If that fails, maybe find the closest metric equivalent, and we can figure out the imperial from there. Perhaps, somebody can just send you a small assortment of imperial machine screws, and surely to god something will fit. We've gotta be able to solve this.

Hey- What about just drilling and re-tapping to the next closest metric?

I will see if my caliper at home has imperial on it as well. I will then go round to all the nut an bolt places we have. Unfortunately imperial sizes are very rare around here.

I could drill and retap, but I don't have a tap and die set, and have never done it before. I suppose there is a first time for everything

I will let you all know when I get some dimensions
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I tried to measure the bolt, but with it being imperial, I am not too sure how to measure the thread. I did however take a pic of the bolt length (excluding the head). Unfortunately for you guys it is in metric.

Here it is. How do you measure the thread?
 

Attachments

  • 01042012871.jpg
    01042012871.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 10

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,428
Reaction score
383
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
I tried to measure the bolt, but with it being imperial, I am not too sure how to measure the thread. I did however take a pic of the bolt length (excluding the head). Unfortunately for you guys it is in metric.

Here it is. How do you measure the thread?

The Imperial machine screw you need will be 3/8" long.

Now measure/post its thread diameter with your caliper, and also post a closeup pic of one of your other diaphragm cover screws so we can determine its thread pitch.
 

Badot

New member
Messages
677
Reaction score
2
Looks more like 9mm to me...

To measure the threads we need to know the outside diameter of the screw, or the inside diameter of the hole... tell us which ones of those it is, but the outside diameter of the screw would be better if you have one. From there, find the threads per inch, threads per mm, mm per threads, whatever, it can be converted. Our (US) screws are in threads per inch though.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
OK....so I took some more pics this morning. I tried to take the measurement between threads (real small) as well as a pic of the screw.

I will have to take the mesurements of the screw diameter when I get home.

I was just hoping someone would have the same 3HP briggs as me, that is trashed, and the could send me the screws
 

Attachments

  • 03042012873.jpg
    03042012873.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 03042012875.jpg
    03042012875.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 6

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Messages
2,387
Reaction score
24
Location
Central PA
If one would work from a vert. 3hp I might be able to find one... but I dont know if it would work or not. ???
 

Benjo

KRAZY KIWI
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Location
New Plymouth,Taranaki, New Zealand
I really don't think you have measured the pitch correctly. Those callipers show 0.25mm, a bolt with that pitch would be less than 1mm in diameter.

 

Benjo

KRAZY KIWI
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Location
New Plymouth,Taranaki, New Zealand
smaller pitches = smaller bolts
0.25 pitch = 1mm diameter bolt (M1)

I think your bolt is an M4 or M5.
M4 and M5 will never have a 0.25mm pitch.

what would you estimate the diameter is?
 

Attachments

  • pitch_ch.gif
    pitch_ch.gif
    11 KB · Views: 3

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I estimate the diameter to be about 4 or 5mm, like you say. What I will do is measure everything up again when I get home. It is a bit difficult to measure bolt pitch, just because it is so small. I will maybe also take a pic of it next to a ruler

Thanks again
 

sexyvicta

New member
Messages
806
Reaction score
2
take the bolt to a nuts/bolts/fasteners wholesaler(the kind of place that sells in the thousands). They will have a thread guage and tell you what your bolt is and then give you a bolt for free cos they wont be bothered working out the price of just one. Or get another bolt and tap a new thread for it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top