I am going to sound like an idiot....but

Status
Not open for further replies.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Messages
3,856
Reaction score
16
Location
Lynchburg, VA
ive lit myself on fire multiple times before its all cause i was welding with frayed jeans.. not a good idea there... but ive never got lit up griding and normaly the flame aint to big even with welding sparks unless your jeans had a flamible liquid in them... then its kinda big

Thats one reason i wear dickies. When ever a welding spark lands on them, it just makes a pin sized hole and goes out. Never caught on fire.:D I have however had nearby towels go up in flames. Not fun.
 

freakboy

the names 'mater
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
2
Location
hick town
Thats one reason i wear dickies. When ever a welding spark lands on them, it just makes a pin sized hole and goes out. Never caught on fire.:D I have however had nearby towels go up in flames. Not fun.

and were required to wear them in school and when they catch on fire they melt onto your legs and gives you nasty burns.. another thing i have experianced..
 

newrider3

New member
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
5
Location
Colorado
Question regarding the rotation: Should, when holding it for a righty, the blade be on your left or right... that way I can figure out if I am actually holding it right... or is it choice?

Thanks

Mostly personal choice, but when using a cutting wheel, I usually rotate the guard so it is covering the left side (where the handle is) and I cut with the right side. Seems to snag less.
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
I cringe thinking about it...

As part of my job, I work in a kitchen.... as well as giving out food... and I have to usually wear gloves... the cheapo melt by everything except ice kind... Well... its always fun when one fuses to your finger, and you end up with a nice blister....

It seems like all the protective stuff they make you wear(the gloves are for others protection... not mine(boss only makes us wear them sometimes, because, they are a PITA...) always seems to harm you more.... kind of like wearing gloves when working with machines... sure it protects you..but when the machine decides its had enough of you... it goes from a small cut to a missing finger....
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Regarding rotation- I'm assuming when cutting with the grinding wheel straight up and down- Hold the grinder with the wheel to the left. To rephrase, you want the top of the wheel rotating forward and away from you. In this orientation, the wheel will pull itself along the cut as you cut down and forewards. You do not want the wheel to be pushing itself off the material. This is easier, safer, and greatly extends the life of the wheel.
I recommend a full face shield (I've been known to pull the shade out of my welding mask when grinding in close proximity) leather gloves, non-ripped or frayed denim jeans, and a welding jacket, or button-down denim or heavy cotton long-sleeved shirt or similar.
Some of this may be a bit much when doing a very quick buzz on something, but better safe than hurt. Use your head. Exposed, frayed fabrics ignite a lot easier than intact clothing, and cotton and denim resist sparks a lot better than synthetic fabrics.

Oh, yeah- You ain't lived until you've had a hot weld booger fly down the neck of your shirt, dribble down your chest and past your waistband. I have NEVER dropped my drawers so fast in my LIFE!!! I was s**tin' kittens!
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
Regarding rotation- I recommend a full face shield (I've been known to pull the shade out of my welding mask when grinding in close proximity) leather gloves, non-ripped or frayed denim jeans, and a welding jacket, or button-down denim or heavy cotton long-sleeved shirt or similar.
Some of this may be a bit much when doing a very quick buzz on something, but better safe than hurt. Use your head. Exposed, frayed fabrics ignite a lot easier than intact clothing, and cotton and denim resist sparks a lot better than synthetic fabrics.

Oh, yeah- You ain't lived until you've had a hot weld booger fly down the neck of your shirt, dribble down your chest and past your waistband. I have NEVER dropped my drawers so fast in my LIFE!!! I was s**tin' kittens!


Ahh... see, the sparks dont bother me.. I wear safety glasses, but, the sparks dont bug me enough when they land on me.... the ones down the shoe, or the ones that land in my wasteband(I have the bad habbit of tucking my shirts in.. :censored:) those hurt...(particularly when wearing a nylon shirt)

As for your experience.... not something I would want... some things arent supposed to blister... and that usually means most things below the waist and above the knees.... As for s**tin' kittens... I dont think I would be sitting for weeks... let alone trying to s**t any furry things with claws...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top