I am going to sound like an idiot....but

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
Okay... well, I was just getting ready to stiffen up my makeshift workbench with a metal threshhold(found it sticking out of a barrel that was going to the curb) when I realized, I cannot figure out how the h**l to get the wirebrush off my angle grinder...... I tried pushing the little button down, then spinning the brush cup off... but all that got me was a sore hand.... Its as if it wont come off.... is there a trick?

Thanks... then maybe I can finish up the darned bench(old computer desk gone table for now)
 

freakboy

the names 'mater
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
2
Location
hick town
put a glove on your hand... push the button down and remember righty tighty lefty loosey...it should come off without much fuss...
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
I used a thick leather glove, and turned till the cows come home... its fussy... Should I try WD-40?
 

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Messages
1,609
Reaction score
2
Location
Sydney, Australia
Between the wire brush and the grinder there should be an adaptor of some sort. The adaptor has flats machined on it so you can get it off with a spanner.
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
nope i wouldnt not sure it that **** will **** up the electric motor or something in the internals.... first off does it look like this
http://www.therideracing.com/images/Jeep/Shop11808/stp85542.jpg
or this
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6573315.jpg


The first one


Between the wire brush and the grinder there should be an adaptor of some sort. The adaptor has flats machined on it so you can get it off with a spanner.
'
No adapter... just a large old nut looking thing that is welded to the spindle(i think)
 

freakboy

the names 'mater
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
2
Location
hick town
see that little silver thingy on the wire wheel cup there... put a wrench on that and there you go.
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
Okay it worked... I put the disk on, and notice it has a little play(wobble) is that okay? I realize that the disk is perhaps .04 too thin.... is that dangerous? Or does it just increase wear a tad? But the manual only says Grinding, not cutting.... and it says for "Grinding wheels must be .08-.25 thick..." Is it different for cutting?

Thanks...

Edit* I googled cut off disks, and they are all either .04, .045, etc
Edit 2* Should I flip over the bottom flange. One size is bumped(I put that toward the disk..) and the other flat. The grinder instructions make no mention of how to put it on.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Ensure that when the retainer nut is tight, it clamps the disk securely. If it allows slippage, don't do it. Some retaining nuts are reversible for thinner disks, so examine that option.
Wobble- May be caused by your spindle, gears, fixing hardware, bearing, or the disk itself. I used to buy disks in 50-packs, and regularly had 2 or 3 in the pack with a wobble. Just be careful, wear a face shield, don't apply undue pressure to the disk. And yes, if it breaks, it'll leave a ****er of a bruise on your thigh. Don't ask. However- awfully bloody glad it wasn't my face. On the other hand, in 6 years of cutting steel daily using 10 disks or more, I only had the one explode inexplicably...
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
I figured it out...

It wasnt a wobble like you are thinking... it was a vertical wobble.. solved by reversing the flange.

Well... be glad it was your thigh... and you didnt break the 'bank' so to speak.... :oops:
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
Any danger to you or I from the sparks?

I know it can light saw dust and such on fire(I kept it away from most of the saw dust) but can it light you or I up? The reason I ask, is because as I was cutting, it kept spraying right at my leg, and the last thing I want, is extra crispy nuggets...... I mean, I had them hitting me on the arms and face(before I get comments, I wore safety glasses), and they barely bugged me(the one that landed right in my shoe bugged me tho..) but, I know that denium/polyester(jeans and a synthetic shirt) is flamable... where as skin is usually not..


Thanks... I didnt exactly want to up in the burn unit tonight... for having lit my draws on fire....
 

freakboy

the names 'mater
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
2
Location
hick town
ive lit myself on fire multiple times before its all cause i was welding with frayed jeans.. not a good idea there... but ive never got lit up griding and normaly the flame aint to big even with welding sparks unless your jeans had a flamible liquid in them... then its kinda big
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
Okay... Thanks... Ill besure to save the gasoline bath until after I am completely finished.... :roflol:

Like I said, I just wanted to ensure that I wasnt going to become a fireball.... :oops:
 

freakboy

the names 'mater
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
2
Location
hick town
you will be fine just keep a fire extinguisher around... and if its empty dont get bored and try to knock the valve off it thus ending the day in the hospital with 7 stitches in your eye... i speak from experiance and i have pictures to proove
 

newrider3

New member
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
5
Location
Colorado
I've lit an unripped t-shirt on fire before from grinding sparks, just generally try to point it away from your person.
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
you will be fine just keep a fire extinguisher around... and if its empty dont get bored and try to knock the valve off it thus ending the day in the hospital with 7 stitches in your eye... i speak from experiance and i have pictures to proove

Lol.... you knocked the valve off it... or did you cut it off?

Dont you ever read the labels on the toilette deordorizers that say.. and I quote: "DO NOT PUNCTURE".... or did you get the misprint that said "DO PUNCTURE"... :oops:

I unfortunately dont have a fire extinguisher... but I have a hose nearby... and a blanket(to whack them out...)

And I though I was bad for having picked up a piece of metal earlier that, i should have known would be hot(thin, and subjected to the cutting wheel for 30+ seconds..not to mention I did the same thing the night before....)... but picked it up anyway, and burned my hand to h*ll... and this was through a leather glove(melted it and everything.) :furious2:
 

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
RI
I've lit an unripped t-shirt on fire before from grinding sparks, just generally try to point it away from your person.

Question regarding the rotation: Should, when holding it for a righty, the blade be on your left or right... that way I can figure out if I am actually holding it right... or is it choice?

Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top