How to remove ethanol from gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Saw this video and thought I’d share.
I have no idea how effective this method is but it seems brilliantly simple.

Mix water and gas.
Allow ethanol to bind with water.
Remove the layer of water.
Enjoy ethanol-free gas.

https://youtu.be/HdDEL7WLN5U

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
But then you'd end up with lower octane fuel, since ethanol boosts octane.
Sounds like a cool method that I'd like to try, but I'd want to know the ethanol free octane rating beforehand to avoid detonation in my engine.
Thanks for sharing, bob!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Or just order fuel online, like Sunoco racing fuel. As long as you run the carburetor(s) dry from fuel and/or run an additive, you really shouldn't have any issues running E10 fuel. Granted non-oxygenated gas (ethanol free) is better, it's not the worse thing to run it. Maintain the engine and you wont have issues with running ethanol gas.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/260-gt

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
E10, E15, E85, whatever it is is bad news. It's basically prohibited in private airplanes because it is not reliable. Boaters don't like it either and they're right on the water. Yikes. Both of those are applications that can leave you stranded or dead, or both due to engine failure.

Ethanol-gas will rust your gas tank out. I don't know why all our small engines aren't utilizing plastic gas tanks. Honda and all the clone makers should have switched to plastic and never looked back.

And why would you suggest 100 octane racing fuel? You know that high octane fuel doesn't make you go faster all on its own, right? It actually burns slower (to prevent pre-ignition)(in a high compression engine).

Last edited:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Most of the non-oxy gas is generally around 91 octane depending on location. The 100 octane according to them has a shelf life of 1 year if stored properly. Doesn't really matter if its race fuel or not, the fact that it can be shelved for that long would be a benefit for some.

The main reason I recommended it is, if someone cannot find ethanol free gas and doesn't want to run E10, then it's a decent alternative, other than running additives to the gas to help prevent the carb from gumming up. Ethanol attracts moisture, which causes fuel tanks to rust out and hurts carbs. Plastic tanks do exist on power equipment, why they are not wide spread as standard options on engines is beyond me, considering that they can be produced dirt cheap.

I know it wont make you go faster (kind of silly to assume someone thinks that), but it's an alternative to pump gas at least.

Hoser

Reaction score
It may give you a little boost in an engine with stock compression if it does reduce octane slightly lower octane = easier to ignite

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I just use methanol and don’t have to worry about it ;)
Actually, I use E10 in the boys race karts. I don’t drain the carbs or do any other fuel system maintenance other than cleaning the carbs now and then, but I’d do that no matter what fuel we were using because that’s just to ensure peak performance. I believe that as long as you don’t let them sit for long periods of time it’s no big deal, and we race every other week.

bthompson224

Reaction score
I have a fuel shutoff on everything with a small engine. If I think it will sit more than 2 weeks, I turn it off and run it dry. For longer periods, like winter for the mower, I try and get the fuel level in the tank as low as possible then fill it up with fresh stuff in the spring. Since I started this, no issues with any of them.

BigWes

Reaction score
They are also in almost all (if not all) PWCs (jet skis).

I know that was random but wanted to contribute.

Come to think of it, I think the 2002 f150 I drive has a plastic gas tank as well.

I'd like to see that plastic tank in a Ford F-150. I wish mine was.

The Ford tanks are big heavy pain in the arses.

Ethanol will destroy the internal rubber fuel lines installed on older vehicles. Often the lines will begin to collapse and cause fuel pump failure and sometimes injector failure if the residue gums up the nozzles.

Back to fuel.

I run premix in my small 2 stroke engines. It has a very long shelf life and it works. It's just good stuff.

All the air cooled small engines get avgas from the airport. 100LL. First off there's not enough lead in it to make a difference in an air cooled small engine. Second, the 100 octane is a moot point in a hot running air cooled engine in South Alabama when the temperature is often in the 90s or above. This ensures I don't get detonation or pre-ignition with the advanced timing and high cyclinder head temps on these engines.

But the most important and the real reason I use it is because it has an almost unlimited shelf life, it has no additives that will gum up the fuel system, and it has cleaning properties when used. It keeps the carb cleaner than regular fuel.

My boat has a high compression inboard outboard engine and it absolutely loves the stuff.

Just don't use it in anything with O2 sensors or cats installed.

Mrmonk7663

Reaction score
This is the route I’ll be taking as well. It’s almost 100 here in Houston. The 100ll is available 10 miles down the road and is 4.40-5.00 a gallon. The Sunoco 93 is around $10 a gallon and triple the distance. With compression at 11:1 on the new engine it should love the avgas.

BigWes

Reaction score
This is the route I’ll be taking as well. It’s almost 100 here in Houston. The 100ll is available 10 miles down the road and is 4.40-5.00 a gallon. The Sunoco 93 is around $10 a gallon and triple the distance. With compression at 11:1 on the new engine it should love the avgas.

Last jug I bought was 3.83 a gallon, why would I not buy it. I've seen 150s and 172s and so on sit for months and sometimes even more than a year or so and crank right up and fly with fuel in tanks as is. You always fill your tank on your plane before you park it...think about that... it's always ready to go the next time you come to it.

bthompson224

Reaction score
Last jug I bought was 3.83 a gallon, why would I not buy it. I've seen 150s and 172s and so on sit for months and sometimes even more than a year or so and crank right up and fly with fuel in tanks as is. You always fill your tank on your plane before you park it...think about that... it's always ready to go the next time you come to it.

That and it leaves less room for and less likelihood of condensation.

Mrmonk7663

Reaction score
I had an F 150 with a non metallic tank. I know for sure as a rock out a huge hole in it. $800 to replace the dang thing...with me doing the labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.