How do I fix this?

Smerft85

Reaction score
You may be better off getting a live axle kit with everything, you are correct that the wheels are welded on making that axle nearly useless. The kit will have the proper hangers and bearings to do the job the right way, it's a fun kart so personal opinion of being worth it or not is up to you. Could you find another functional kart without shotty modification for the roughly $300 a proper setup may cost on the one you have?

Smerft85

Reaction score
Going back to dead axle would be cheapest and easiest, live axle is arguably more fun depending on the application. Returning to dead axle also means almost everything is available at the local hardware store, 1" square tube I believe 42" long, two half inch shouldered bolts long enough to pass through the wheels, locknuts and washers, and a new set of rear wheels, one containing a hub for the sprocket. My daughters kart with a governed 212 engine will roast the drive wheel with two adults in it.

SlowNstonie

Reaction score
Any of this half *** modified?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2

SlowNstonie

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. Super upsetting for the kids but we will get it back together I guess lol

Smerft85

Reaction score
Here's mine at as close to the same angle as I could get, I know 100% mine is the Manco redfox 2.

Attachments

• 20210202_142244.jpg
    20210202_142244.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Smerft85

Reaction score
Without coming off as rude, they wanted a live axle instead of a dead axle, a 2x4 instead of 1x4 in Lehman's, but they had no clue apparently how to go about it. You could in theory get by with a new live axle with pillow blocks bolted in place of those clamps, and you could still run the live axle, but I'd say replace everything on the axle at that point.

jamyers

Reaction score
Yup, somebody converted it to a live rear axle (both wheels driven), and used clamps instead of bearings - crazy and dumb, but...

I'd get that axle off of there, as well as the clamp parts. Then try to gring or cut the welds holding the wheels on - if you're lucky you can get one off, then you could remove the sprocket and its hub from the axle, slide a pillow-block bearing onto the shaft, reinstall the sprocket, and slide another pillow-block bearing on there, and reattatch the wheel. Get pillow-block bearings that have set screws, and that'll lock the shaft in place side to side.

Surplus Center is a good source for bearings and lots of other bits.

If you can't get one of the wheels off, then yup you'll need a new live axle kit. Or go back to one-wheel-drive.

SlowNstonie

Reaction score
Is two wheel drive that worth it? Just thinking of the options now that I’m into it decent... might as well do whatever best if I have to redo it all anyways