How do I fix this?

SlowNstonie

Reaction score
I think I need some kind of set screw here. The chain keeps falling off. Please help. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 21

mckutzy

Reaction score
Hello and welcome...

There is a bolt in the end of the shaft, that will hold the clutch on the shaft....

However there is more to it for the chain falling off....

Post some more pics of your ride not so zoomed in... overall and the engine area...

SlowNstonie

Reaction score
Hope this helps

This part moves and does that little hole not need like a set screw or something? It slides back and forth on that rod

Sounds like Predator cap curse. As a hemi, both the intake and exhaust valves each have a lash cap sitting on top of the valve stems. Just a little pea-size cup sitting mouth down on the valve keepers, so that the rocker arm is pushing down on the cap and not on the valve stem. (Except non-hemi, I think they only have a lash cap on one of the valves.)
The cap curse is you unknowingly letting a cap (or both) get pushed off, maybe with your feeler gauge, leaving a huge amount of flapping around by the rocker arm, letting the pushrod fall out from under the rocker. The caps usually fall down the pushrod openings into the case, where they seriously need to be removed before running it again.
Trying to adjust the lash without the caps won't work, the excessive tilting of the rockers will prevent the valves from operating in correct lift and duration of the cam.
Pull off the rockers enough to see if both valves have a cap sitting on their stems, or if you've adjusted the lash with the rockers pressing directly on the stems. If missing, look for them in the head space there. If gone, you've got to split the case and get them out of there.
Please don't split the case without a new sump sidecover gasket in hand. People who live by gasket sealer have troubles with shaft spacing after putting it back together. If you're ordering a new (for hemi only) gasket set, might as well get a hi-performance set with a thin racing head gasket for the same money. Mine was $14, came with a .012" stainless steel head gasket. Noticeably increases the performance due to the increased compression.
Both caps are still there. I made sure to check because the first time this happened one of the caps fell in (but I managed to get it out). I also have a metal head gasket installed when I opened up the engine for stage 2 mods.

Update: swapped the carb and I'm still having the same problem. It only runs when I rev it, and at that point it's trying to take off. If it helps, here's all the mods I have done. I did a compression test and the highest PSI I reached was 50 PSI. Keep in mind this is with a thin head gasket. I feel like that's low. Maybe when it threw the pushrod the piston smacked the valve? That's probably what I'm going to check next. Still want to hear some suggestions if you have them, though.

LIST OF MODS:
PVL Flywheel, 4 Degree Offset Timing Key, ARC Billet Rod, 22lb Valve Springs, 0.01” Head Gasket - $5 MOD2 Camshaft, Header Pipe, Muffler, 0.38 Carb Jet, Chromoly Pushrods 5.54”, Autolite 3910X Spark Plug

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 12

jmaack

Reaction score
is engine plate cracked by those washers? if so and when it flexes the chain will pop off.

anickode

Reaction score
It looks to me like the shaft is longer than the bore of the clutch, so the bolt and washer on the end of the shaft is keeping it from flying off, but not holding it in place.

Yes, a set screw will hold the clutch still. Any hardware store will have them.

Alternately, you could get a couple machine spacers (just washers with tighter tolerances) to take up the extra shaft length to lock it in place.

Smerft85

Reaction score
The spot where the engine bolts to the frame. Far rigt washer looks broken underneath

Indeed it does look cracked, good eye! I'd pull the engine and see how bad the plate under it is cracked, very well could be part of the reason it throws the chain constantly.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Smerft85 said:
Indeed it does look cracked, good eye! I'd pull the engine and see how bad the plate under it is cracked, very well could be part of the reason it throws the chain constantly.]Indeed it does look cracked, good eye! I'd pull the engine and see how bad the plate under it is cracked, very well could be part of the reason it throws the chain constantly.
even so SlowNstonie should still get a set screw.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Got a hunch that a set screw is the last thing that needs attention, if that engine plate is cracked, which I'm about 99% sure it is, and possibly cracked badly under the engine it will move the engine in and out of alignment as it runs, a set screw will only insure the clutch doesn't become lost parts quite as easily. A set screw also wont be as effective as a bolt and washer installed into the end of the engine shaft, I lose set screws all the time, but it doesn't throw the chain because of that bolt, and it doesnt stop working because of the keyway and key.

WunTon

Reaction score

SlowNstonie

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. This is my first cart and we haven’t used it much. Bought it used. Will look into all these things and keep you posted. Thanks again!:)

SlowNstonie

Reaction score
What stops the bar in back holding the wheels from goi side to side?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5

Smerft85

Reaction score
Are you referring to the rear bar of the frame? Its connected on the underside and the main frame on the sides if that is what you are asking about, and it's just fine if all the bolts are in the frame and tight.