How about a video from me? I know! Governor bypass!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWes

Reaction score
Thats why you hold it with a spring hooked to something holding it from doing that

And you think that spring is going to keep the little plastic gear in there from coming apart at uncontrolled RPMS that it wasn't meant to take?

Have you ever thought part of the reason it may have been made out of plastic was as a built in design-to-fail part?

As that plastic gear turns faster and faster the centrifugal force causes those two flyweights to become heavier and heavier. Soon their weight will overcome the ability of the plastic's ability to hold them on. When they sling off and into all the other high speed reciprocating parts inside the crankcase...game over...

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I am just showing a simple video of a fact.

In your case it's just a matter of time.

950speed

Reaction score
But if the arm held back the weights, would there still be enough mass to cause the plastic to fail alone? Have we had anyone do this and test it yet? Not that I know of, if anyone has a plastic govoner gear laying around and a way to spin it up to high rpm with it outside of the engine such as using a dremel? (10,000rpm) we could see what the gear alone can take.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
But if the arm held back the weights, would there still be enough mass to cause the plastic to fail alone? Have we had anyone do this and test it yet? Not that I know of, if anyone has a plastic govoner gear laying around and a way to spin it up to high rpm with it outside of the engine such as using a dremel? (10,000rpm) we could see what the gear alone can take.

Mmph, I'll pass.
I really don't feel like slinging flyweight around a 10,000 RPM and them ending up in may face possibly. Oooooowwwwwwwww.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I'm all for gathering data, but why test the governor gear with no weights? I can't think of a reason to use the gear without them and it's more work than just removing the whole thing. :confused:

950speed

Reaction score
Ok so I may get a little confusing here but I will do my best!!

Test the gear alone and gather data because:
If you hold the arm down, while the engine is going, and have the arm disconnected from the carb and held by a strong spring, then it would prevent the weights from moving.
Therefore there would not be any stress on the gear from the weights.

Hopefully you followed

Kentucky Boy

Reaction score
Here’s what happens if you rig the governor instead of removing it and installing a billet rod.

Attachments

• FC0ADE1E-CF88-4144-9F31-ED95F08222BB.jpeg
    FC0ADE1E-CF88-4144-9F31-ED95F08222BB.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 20

BigWes

Reaction score
Ok so I may get a little confusing here but I will do my best!!

Test the gear alone and gather data because:
If you hold the arm down, while the engine is going, and have the arm disconnected from the carb and held by a strong spring, then it would prevent the weights from moving.
Therefore there would not be any stress on the gear from the weights.

Hopefully you followed

No, you are wrong. The weights are still attached to the gears. The weights still have mass. The weights are still attached to the gears via the plastic that the gear is made up of. The weights are still generating leverage even though they aren't allowed to moved. This in turn allows a dangerous build up of torque and stress. The problem is we have a piece of plastic with metal parts slinging all over the place. It's going to fail. It's obviously happened before or it wouldn't be a thing. It takes just a few minutes to remove it and you can do it in conjunction with your first oil change and use the opportunity to clean the crud out of your crankcase.

It's cheap insurance and peace of mind.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Here’s what happens if you rig the governor instead of removing it and installing a billet rod.

Ouch...game over...

A picture is worth a new engine in this case....

But you know what, you still can't tell these kids anything...buy em books, send em to school, make videos, show pics, I guess we just kick back and watchem scatter rods up and down the block in front of the elementary school!!! Lol

Oh well what can you do!

950speed

Reaction score
I understand, yet the weight is much more centralized so it would not be near as much force as when they were loose.

I suppose the only way to test this and get numbers is spin some up that have been taken out of an engine and see how they preformed:

With the weights loose
With weights held in place
And without the weights, just to see how the plastic is

I would do this myself gladly but I threw mine away and I only had 1 to use

BigWes

Reaction score
I understand, yet the weight is much more centralized so it would not be near as much force as when they were loose.

I suppose the only way to test this and get numbers is spin some up that have been taken out of an engine and see how they preformed:

With the weights loose
With weights held in place
And without the weights, just to see how the plastic is

I would do this myself gladly but I threw mine away and I only had 1 to use

Are you trying to justify half@$$ing a job? That's what it sounds like. If I can get the one shown in the video out without damaging it I will let you have it. No promises. I'm not going to waste much time being gentle with something I would normally can. Then you can have all the fun you want with it. I doubt you will be able to truly simulate the conditions that exists inside that engine block under a high rpm load though.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
A
As that plastic gear turns faster and faster the centrifugal force causes those two flyweights to become heavier and heavier. Soon their weight will overcome the ability of the plastic's ability to hold them on.

uh nope!
the weights certainly do NOT become heavier, they can't..
do not mix up force and mass.

the force increases (newtons as kg*m/s²) but that's thanks to increased acceleration (m/s²) , not because the weights get heavier (kg)

the flyweights themselves are not held back by the lever btw!
the lever is the "button" the expanding flywheels push
that tells the carb to close
and with a slowing down engine the springs in the governor contract the flyweights back again.
the spring on the lever is strong enough to help a bit maybe
but it's meant to bring the lever back to the now contracted push pin
on the governor shaft.
(to be pushed back again next time the weights expand and push the pin out)

there are many reasons the governor wheel can fail.
Most common (to us) are indeed excessive centrifugal forces.
Usually due to some jerk (literally [m/s³])
if it was a de or accelerating one can be seen on the governor remnants.
if the leading pin hole of a weight failed first it was an accelerating jerk,
if the trailing pin hole failed first it was a decellerating jerk.
(the pin hole that failed second is slightly stretched, the first one just snapped clean to pieces)

Anyways it's indeed always the pivot of the flyweights (the axle pin)
that fails first since that's where almost all forces act on.
once one weight broke free the imbalance and
new weakspot in the plastic gear
tear apart the governor wheel.

BUT even if the pivoting pin cannot break loose, the governor wheel can still fail
a slight imbalance can cause it to oval out at high speeds so it won't mesh properly with it's driving gear;
chewing off teeth causing a vibration that rattles everything apart
or causing the driving gear to perfectly hit on the tip of a tooth
causing an imperfection to crack open.. or or or.

The problem is:
we cannot prevent every situation that might or might not cause the governor gear to fail at higher speeds.

and it's quicker and safer to just remove that dang thing.

'sid

BigWes

Reaction score
Yea, the weight analogy was just that...I know it's weight won't change unless it gets put on say a larger planet like Jupiter...then it wouldn't matter. I was hot and tired from working in the yard in the 100 degree heat. You should try it sometime.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I'm ready for some cooler temps already. This heat sucks.

Indiana has been in the 90's and i cant wait for fall i swear also its been humid as heck i cant work on anything without swimming in sweat

On the plus side, I don't even need to use choke to fire up my engine because it's already "warmed up"!
:cornut:
Good to know I'm not the only one suffering. :lolgoku:

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
On the plus side, I don't even need to use choke to fire up my engine because it's already "warmed up"!
:cornut:
Good to know I'm not the only one suffering. :lolgoku:

My 212 starts up without choke its so hot and need to charge the battery for my mower been outside workin for an hour and already drenched in sweat

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, the weight analogy was just that...I know it's weight won't change unless it gets put on say a larger planet like Jupiter...then it wouldn't matter. I was hot and tired from working in the yard in the 100 degree heat. You should try it sometime.

we don't get 100 degrees around here... mostly because we use Celsius not Frankensteins :D
and 100°C means water starts boiling... fairly uncommon air temp outside an oven let's say ;)

but I get the dehydration and exhaustion part...
we had some serious temperatures a few days ago as well (38-40° C peaking at 43°C [109 F])..
terrible tbh; luckily it cooled down again.
(barely scratching 30°C yesterday )

But you won't find me working in the yard anytime soon..
I'm not an earth mover myself, at max you find me giving it
"the hose again" ;)

'sid

BigWes

Reaction score
we don't get 100 degrees around here... mostly because we use Celsius not Frankensteins :D
and 100°C means water starts boiling... fairly uncommon air temp outside an oven let's say ;)

but I get the dehydration and exhaustion part...
we had some serious temperatures a few days ago as well (38-40° C peaking at 43°C [109 F])..
terrible tbh; luckily it cooled down again.
(barely scratching 30°C yesterday )

But you won't find me working in the yard anytime soon..
I'm not an earth mover myself, at max you find me giving it
"the hose again" ;)

'sid

I understand the metric system quite well. I even use it when I have to. I just hate using it. I hate any conversions so I just try learning the different systems I need to know. Like maritime units when I'm on the boat and aeronautical units when I am in the air. It's been a long time since I've been in the cockpit though. I miss it.

When did it start getting that hot in Germany? ...sheez...that's unheard of...I guess it's geographical based...I always thought the weather was mild there. I know some Germans, and my grandfather-great grandfather on my father's side was from Germany from what I was told. They were long passed long ago.

If I don't keep the grass and shrubs and flower beds under control I'll have compounded the work to do, not only that it just looks bad.

Storms came in today and the temps dropped into the low 80s. It was nice out for a few minutes. Took the boat out for a little bit and ran the salt water out of it.

As far as my video up there it was nothing serious. more of a simple video just demoing loose parts flopping around inside the crankcase.

I wasn't attempting a physics lecture or anything. If that had been the case I would have had source materials and such to back up what I was saying to my class. Because most of the guys here are a bunch of critics and it's much needed. And I don't blame them for that.

That engine is an odd case. I wasn't going to tear into it to begin with but I turned it sideways to dump the oil out and because the governor arm was disconnected with the carb linkage and the carb off I guess the internals came loose. Anyway, as I was pouring the oil out of the oil fill hole the plastic bushing that pushes the lever arm came right out with the oil. So really it's a good thing I drained the oil like I did and I seen that thing. Because if I had reassembled everything not knowing it was laying there in the bottom of the crankcase I'm sure bad things would have happened when I cranked it back up.

I originally pulled the head off to inspect it for damage because when I got that engine there was water in the oil, the tank, the exhaust and intake. When I spun it up with the drill it blew water out. So I didn't know what to expect. It actually looks to be in fair shape. I am going to finish pulling it apart and go over it really well. I will probably buy a set of stones and hone the cylinder lightly before it goes back together. I may even rering it and put a nice rod and other stuff in it.

I haven't decided yet. It's a 208cc non-hemi clone engine. So is it worth a build? I don't know. I guess it couldn't hurt to tinker with it. If i mess it up it's not like I have any major money in the parent block.

So you tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.