Honda Gc160

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx7750680

Reaction score
I can get this engine for $70. It was for a pressure washer and is is a GC160 engine.

Would this work well on my thunder kart.

Thanks

carter

Reaction score
Seems like it'd do fine, 4.6 HP 4 stroke, OHV. It might take a bit higher of a gearing though. Check for a low oil sensor when you get it and remove it because that'll make it shut off if you take a corners and things.

OzFab

Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind about the GCs is they are a different config to the GX. The way they sit, the muffler is at the back of a go kart seat

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Lower- with a weaker engine, you'd need to gear lower. Bear in mind that when it comes to reduction, a lower ratio is numerically higher. For example, a 6:1 reduction is lower than 5:1.

carter

Reaction score
Lower- with a weaker engine, you'd need to gear lower. Bear in mind that when it comes to reduction, a lower ratio is numerically higher. For example, a 6:1 reduction is lower than 5:1.

There I go getting higher and lower backwards again, I've done that in every thread. I was trying to say that he would want to roll a bit higher than 6:1.

qtband

Reaction score
Not sure where you are at, but here in St. Louis, I get them for about $40. FB is correct. The muffler shoots right at the back of the seat. I take off the stock muffler and use 3/4 black pipe and an off the shelf muffler as a replacement. I can go into more details if you need.

OzFab

Reaction score
Am I wrong? I thought that if you had a weaker engine then you would be smart to gear higher to get some acceleration out of the thing, that is assuming the shaft can even take a clutch, I wasn't sure if pressure washers had tapered shafts or not.

High numbers = low gear
Low numbers = high gear

There I go getting higher and lower backwards again, I've done that in every thread. I was trying to say that he would want to roll a bit higher than 6:1.

We talk in terms of the gear, not the number: Higher than 6:1 would be 5:1, lower would be 7:1. You'll get it eventually... It only took me a mechanical apprenticeship & 20 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.