I have a homelite 196cc engine in an "off road" cart that will
start. Approximately 2 years ago it decided it would not run without the choke being applied. Due to getting a house ready to sell and building a new one the cart had to sit in storage for probably 18 months. Fast forward to today, checked spark and it appeared good. Check carb. for trash and varnish, surprisingly it was nice and clean. Compression test showed 55psi. before oil in cylinder and struggled to hit 60psi. after oil in cylinder.
I have read on the all knowing interweb that anything less than 100psi. means the engine is junk. Is this true or can I possibly "rebuild" this engine?
I purchased a predator engine from H/F but, the shaft is exactly 1 inch too short for my setup.
I mainly want to know if I can install new rings and maybe clean up the valves and be good to go.
ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
start. Approximately 2 years ago it decided it would not run without the choke being applied. Due to getting a house ready to sell and building a new one the cart had to sit in storage for probably 18 months. Fast forward to today, checked spark and it appeared good. Check carb. for trash and varnish, surprisingly it was nice and clean. Compression test showed 55psi. before oil in cylinder and struggled to hit 60psi. after oil in cylinder.
I have read on the all knowing interweb that anything less than 100psi. means the engine is junk. Is this true or can I possibly "rebuild" this engine?
I purchased a predator engine from H/F but, the shaft is exactly 1 inch too short for my setup.
I mainly want to know if I can install new rings and maybe clean up the valves and be good to go.
ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

