High idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

briggs driver

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
I've been working on a Briggs and Stratton 5hp flathead and it has a problem with a high idle speed. When I push the actual throttle back, it just feels like its floating between my desired idle speed and the current one, but there is a light force pushing it to the current one. does anyone have any ideas to fix this? btw my engine is governed.
 

KingCobra

TROLL CRUSHER INC.
Messages
583
Reaction score
1
Location
TROLL TORTURE ROOM
Stronger spring? Idle screw? I guess I'm missing something here. The governor should not bother you unless you hit the red line of RPM's, Maybe bob can pipe in, he loves them Briggs engines....
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,190
Reaction score
4,162
Do you know what particular Briggs engine you have, better yet, the type of carburetor?

I would assume horizontal shaft, but I won't. Tell us more about it, por favor. ;)


Wow, great help there, Briggs hater, I mean King Cobrah (HIIISSSSS!). :rolleyes: :D

EDIT--you could me suffering from a maladjusted governor. In other words, it wants to maintain your engine at *ITS* desired speed, not yours.
 
Last edited:

briggs driver

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
I thought about adding a spring to pull back the throttle but I didn't want to add any pressure against the throttle, lowering top speed.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

its a model 130202
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,190
Reaction score
4,162
I'm going to have to also request pics. :p

Too much guessing otherwise.
 

KingCobra

TROLL CRUSHER INC.
Messages
583
Reaction score
1
Location
TROLL TORTURE ROOM
I thought about adding a spring to pull back the throttle but I didn't want to add any pressure against the throttle, lowering top speed.its a model 130202

Are your valves seated properly? Check your main jet for debris bouncing around in your float bowl?? How is your carb fed...diaphragm or gravity? Air fuel mixture setting at approx. 1 1/2 turns counter??

I watched that video and did that before. didn't help but thanks.

Yeh, I knew that and that is why I didn't offer you that video :D
I'm going to have to also request pics. :p

Too much guessing otherwise.

What do you expect to 'HEAR' from them pictures??? :D
 

Randy H

New member
Messages
892
Reaction score
27
Actual throttle? That's how it works if you actuate the butterfly at the carb with the governor hooked up.
 

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Messages
9,646
Reaction score
1,859
Location
Chicago-town USA
Maybe bob can pipe in, he loves them Briggs engines....

I've never owned, operated, or worked on a Briggs. Predator, Yes. Tecumseh Powersport, Yes. Jiangdong, Yes.

Briggs, No. I have no input on those engines. I stay out of those threads. I have nothing to offer.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
We need a pic indeed..

the rear side (where the throttle connect and the governor linkages are)
straight shot, clear, well lit etc...

maybe the springs are messed up.

maybe you skipped the governor entirely (which would be bad)
also we need a model number.

'sid
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I thought about adding a spring to pull back the throttle but I didn't want to add any pressure against the throttle, lowering top speed.

The amount of spring pressure needed to return the throttle to proper idle will NEVER be stronger than the force your foot can apply to the throttle pedal; we're talking a pound or two of pressure...
 

KingCobra

TROLL CRUSHER INC.
Messages
583
Reaction score
1
Location
TROLL TORTURE ROOM
Actual throttle? That's how it works if you actuate the butterfly at the carb with the governor hooked up.

Then we need a cool video LOL!!!
I've never owned, operated, or worked on a Briggs. Predator, Yes. Tecumseh Powersport, Yes. Jiangdong, Yes.

Briggs, No. I have no input on those engines. I stay out of those threads. I have nothing to offer.

I don't believe it! Wow, what country do you live in anyway?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top