Hi From Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
any other tips for gx390 performance? I removed the Governor and ordered new springs... soon I want a better exhaust and an open filter... beyond that, any other tips?

Here's a tip for you: DON'T USE THE HEAVY SPRINGS! Without the governor, the only thing stopping the engine from revving itself to self destruction is the valve springs; with stock springs the valves will start to bounce or flutter at around 5krpm, stronger springs will raise that limit to a point where the conrod isn't designed to go.

You could drop $2k on that engine but, it will all be for nought with a stock air filter & muffler. Many years ago, I was taught "the better an engine can breathe, the better it will perform"...

Here's another tip for both you & rocketkart: Us the edit button as opposed to making multiple, consecutive posts, without which this thread would be half the length it is...
 

Ryledup

New member
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Good call on the exhaust and air filter, but as far as springs go, I ordered some 35lbs springs... what would be a good alternative to this? Like wouldn't you want to avoid valve float? but how would you do that without getting better springs? couldnt I just run a tachometer and avoid going over X rpm?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
No, you want the valve flutter to prevent the conrod letting go. These engines were only designed to run at a max 4000rpm, hence the governor. There's a margin of error but, the conrod wasn't designed to go much faster than that.

IIWM, leave the springs stock for now, start saving for a billet conrod & put them both in together... unless, of course, you want to replace your engine...
 

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
if i can find out how to ship it to you i got 5 or 6 laying out at the shop for 1'' shaft you pay for shiping ill just give it to you. what size chain you useing?
 

Ryledup

New member
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
RocketKart:sure thing lemme know, I mean surely it will last for a little bit of play lol I believe its a #35 chains, I have a 72 tooth rear if that will help...


Fabroman: Ok, great, thanks for the info, Ill just hold on to the springs for now. I guess I shouldve ordered an air filter or an exhaust instead. any good recommendations for either of those?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Measure the distance between the teeth on the axle sprocket; 3/8" will be #35, 1/2" will be #40/41.

Any straight pipe exhaust will do but, it'll be loud; you could make your own depending on your fabrication skills...

An air filter, on the other hand, is a bit more difficult as you'll need an adaptor that fits both the filter & the head. Best advice is find an adaptor first then source a filter
 

Ryledup

New member
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Had a big scare last night!!! I took out the balance shaft when I did the governor removal... well I was removing the pressed in bearing for it, the one in the engine, and I knocked the dowl rod through... wasnt my fault really though. There looked to be a rust line like there was a crack in it. Anyway took it to the local machine shop and they threw a freeze plug in it so shes good to go and back together....gonna wait over night before I fill her with oil and fire it up again...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top