Here's to new hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piddler

Reaction score
Hello to all! Looking forward to discussion with everyone. Just acquired 2 vintage karts, and looking forward to an accurate restoration of my margay and building a solid rider for my son with the other kart. Been a mechanic majority of my adult life and can't stay away from tinkering with hobbies involving engines or wheels. Retired bull rider and bmx racer , now focusing on the joy of tinkering and driving. Wish I was born a few years earlier to have seen karting in its heyday!

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Those later 'sidewinder' racing karts like your Margay are a little exotic and beyond our scope. We're kinda low budget here. :eek: :)

There's a few members here with the requisite knowledge though, and some droolin' anything-with-wheels fanboys. You'll fit right in.

Favorite engine here, by far, is the Harbor Freight Predator 212cc 6.5 HP. That's about as Plain Jane and Joe Sixpack as you can get. :p

:welcome2:

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Welcome as my name implies i dont know what im doing
And have no money to do it. So a 212cc is perfect for your kid i have one and they can be fast or slow

Piddler

Reaction score
Might look Into building a little flathead to play with, guy at work is giving me an old 5 horse

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
YES, TAKE IT!
ESPECIALLY for free!
Flatheads actually have an even wider range of aftermarket upgrades than the famous clone engine! They can actually make ~30 HP if you're reeeaaally dedicated with upgrades. But at that point you will have put an absurd amount of money and an equally absurd amount of time into it.

Piddler

Reaction score
Do they have any different character from a clone? Power come in differently from the different head designs or anything ? My first kart as a kid had a 8 horse flathead , probably came off a tiller or something but that thing would scream

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
They certainly do have a different character!
It's like comparing just about any US made small block V8 to whatever's popular in the import car group right now.
The flathead design means they have more torque, and in general they are simpler than the clones. They also look way different simply because the flatheads have a straight up-and-down cylinder, as opposed to the clones' canted over cylinders.
Flatheads also have the cool ability that you can pop out ~8 bolts and remove the cylinder head.
I am absolutely all for flatheads, but someday I might mess around with one or two clones just to see what the fuss is all about.

Piddler

Reaction score
Got the briggs from the guy at work today, it's a 5 horse labeled as "fun power" I'm gonna see if it'll start and run then may check into what it'll take to turn it up a little

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Got the briggs from the guy at work today, it's a 5 horse labeled as "fun power" I'm gonna see if it'll start and run then may check into what it'll take to turn it up a little

Yeah, the Fun Power engines were labeled as such for go karts and mini bike use. Nuthin fancy like a steel cylinder liner or ball bearing crank, though. Just basic Kool Bores (plain aluminum).

We're lucky to have JTSpeedDemon. He has "seen the light" and has embraced 'old skool'.

Start another thread in Go Karts or Engines for your Fun Power if you want--if you need help bringin' 'er back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.