Here we go again 🤦*♂️

Miky

Reaction score
New project. Motor is China clone from Honda 13 PS. Few things are missing but overall good enough for project.

Attachments

• 20200717_211345.jpg
    20200717_211345.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 20200717_211333.jpg
    20200717_211333.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 63

Miky

Reaction score
I need your opinion guys, centrifugal clutch or torque converter? What should I buy?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
race kart..
clutch!

the TC will be too large, too heavy and costs at the very least 20% of your power
(lost in belt slip by design)

for a fun kart a TC will have some benefits however..
you can drive slower easily, and you could climb some serious road inlcinations..
but frankly.. mounting a series 40 on a race kart chassis is all but trivial.
And NO the backplate crap is NOT an option!
a true jackshaft far enough behind the engne is the only way to go ;)

Mounting a series 30 might work, but will be expensive since you'll be going through belts a lot faster than anticipated..

So yeah.. a cent clutch is your best bet.
oh a race intended one makes more sense if you're planning on modding the engine;
look what Noram has to offer for example.

'sid

mckutzy

Reaction score
That motor has a 1" shaft(?) and that clutch might be pricey in your area....
Theyre expensive here... So im going to guess itll much more overyonder in your country...

Miky

Reaction score
Then centrifugal clutch it is, thanks Itsid. Shaft is 1", I'll find something. What gearing do you guys recommend, I don't know how tall is the tire now, I'll check it later. It was 6:1 if I can recall

mckutzy

Reaction score
6:1 is a good start... With a big block youll have some torque... it should be fine.... probably could go 5:1 and be fine.

Miky

Reaction score
I want centrifugal clutch with lot of tooth, less stress on the chain, what is the biggest outh there?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I want centrifugal clutch with lot of tooth, less stress on the chain, what is the biggest outh there?

The bigger the CC tooth count, the bigger the axle sprocket needs to be. Just keep that in mind. You dont have much clearance at all

And I really wouldn't worry about getting a bigger tooth count because there will be less stress on the sprocket. It is true to some extent, but these things are manufactured to be "fit for purpose"

Miky

Reaction score
The bigger the CC tooth count, the bigger the axle sprocket needs to be.

I figured it also later, now biggest problem is motor mount, I want something that is not welded to the frame, I want to put later on motorcycle engine with gears

Miky

Reaction score
Anyone knows is there any way to mount manual transmission on this motor what I have?

Miky

Reaction score
So I need centrifugal clutch, 1' bore and 5/16' keywey, I'm having a hard time finding one. Anyone know where to fine one (I'm in Europe)?

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
You need what is called a stepped key, 1/4" on one side and 5/16" on the other. Then you can get any clutch with a 1" bore and 1/4" keyway.