Help

Allenwrench

Reaction score
What is the benefit of a rear axle being offset? We have an oval kart with about a 2” offset. So the left rear is sitting 2” forward of the right rear.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
What is the benefit of a rear axle being offset? We have an oval kart with about a 2” offset. So the left rear is sitting 2” forward of the right rear.
um say what? So your chassis track is not straight?? The rear axle needs to be straight with the chassis. If the axle is cockeyed..... well frankly I've never heard of that on any kart, that's really weird. The front and rear wheels need to run parallel.

Allenwrench

Reaction score
um say what? So your chassis track is not straight?? The rear axle needs to be straight with the chassis. If the axle is cockeyed..... well frankly I've never heard of that on any kart, that's really weird. The front and rear wheels need to run parallel.
That’s what I thought. It is supposed to be set up to race an oval track. But we are 1.5 secs behind the leaders every race.

anderkart

Reaction score
I wonder if your rear axle was purposely installed crooked for racing on some type of small round racekart track? I can see that being an advantage in that situation, but yes your right; this would definitely scrub off speed in the streataways.

The meaning of "Offset" on offset chassis racekarts is referring to the left rear tire being offset Inward like this pic shows,
not a crooked axle resulting in the left rear tire being offset 2" further forward.

1628430111797.png

Allenwrench

Reaction score
I wonder if your rear axle was purposely installed crooked for racing on some type of small round racekart track? I can see that being an advantage in that situation, but yes your right; this would definitely scrub off speed in the streataways.

The meaning of "Offset" on offset chassis racekarts is referring to the left rear tire being offset Inward like this pic shows,
not a crooked axle resulting in the left rear tire being offset 2" further forward.

View attachment 128149
Thank you for the great info. I’m looking at moving the mount this week. I’ll keep you all informed after next weekends races.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The rear axle needs to be straight with the chassis. If the axle is cockeyed.....
If the rear axle is a straight axle, then as a single unit it absolutely will "try to pass around the front" and be a terrible drag on the kart as a whole.
The front left and right axles are separate entities though, and you can make all kinds of mods to the steering by changing things from strict parallels and right angles setup, like letting one side lead the other.
If the left front instead of the rear was leading by 2" I can see it being a weight transfer advantage in a right hand turn. Ackermann angle might be hard to get right with that setup, or maybe it would still be as straightforward as on normal steering, just setting each spindle by direct line. My brain can't picture it right now.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
If the rear axle is a straight axle, then as a single unit it absolutely will "try to pass around the front" and be a terrible drag on the kart as a whole.
The front left and right axles are separate entities though, and you can make all kinds of mods to the steering by changing things from strict parallels and right angles setup, like letting one side lead the other.
If the left front instead of the rear was leading by 2" I can see it being a weight transfer advantage in a right hand turn. Ackermann angle might be hard to get right with that setup, or maybe it would still be as straightforward as on normal steering, just setting each spindle by direct line. My brain can't picture it right now.
You're referring to the spindles. The front axle is the piece, frequently a bent piece of tubing, that connects the 2 front spindles together. That's what ties the weight transfer and everything into the chassis.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Could the whole frame be twisted, like a parallelogram, from a bad front end collision? Looks like left side is hanging back (trailing) the right side, and the left bearing was moved forward to compensate.

Allenwrench

Reaction score
Possibly, but the axel was offset when the kart was built. We bought it used. We are in process of having a new one built for next year. So mainly I was trying to understand why someone would build it like this.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Ok now I have even more questions. Like they mentioned, why the heck is the frame not straight??? Also that does not look ANYTHING like a racing chassis, that must be homebuilt. What kind of racing are you doing anyway? Doesn't sound like normal oval track racing at all. Sounds more like backyard racing.
Personally from the looks of that frame I'd try to find a new better chassis to use and salvage some of the parts, that thing is just so weird.

Allenwrench

Reaction score
We race what’s called jr. Faskarts at Indianapolis speedrome. It’s called a Wedge in other places. A lot of frames are home built. We have a line on a new car for next year that is a better design. With 5 races left this year, we are just trying to get the kid a win. I’m moving the axel .75” aft on the left carrier this week. Hopefully that might solve the drag on the straights. Frame may be tweaked a little but it’s too late in the season to worry about that.

Allenwrench

Reaction score
Dude....tell little one to give it hell!!

:cheers2: Mountain folks in TN are here rooting for a podium finish
I will let him know he has fans in Tenn.
I was able to remove the hanger last night and will be re-welding a little move aft tomorrow. Thanks for your support.