Help Needed With Hub Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

twistedpiston

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, GA
Do you figure this hub is a 4 on 4 or a metric hub. I need to find new hubs to match my wheels but I'm not sure what the size is.

Any help would be appreciated.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
That's about the worst picture I've ever seen to try and determine anything. ..tape's crooked and nothing lines up.....

Still....It looks like a 3 3/8" bolt center with 1/2" studs.....but we need more accuracy. ....it's not like there's an 1/8" difference between Imperial and metric.......
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
I'd say it's a 4*90 metric hub

90 mm are roughly 3.5433".. (close to but not quite 3 9/16") that seems to match pretty well the measurement you have there;
but to be sure, get a metric ruler ;)

'sid
 

twistedpiston

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, GA
That's about the worst response to a request for assistance that I've ever seen... actually not really, it is pretty typical of the elitist attitude often encountered by newbies when looking for advice on “specialty” forums. I have seen it over and over in forums on which I am and used to be active. The end result is usually the dumb bastard newbie leaving… with the proverbial bad taste in their mouth concerning their new interest.

That being said, I apologize for the less than accurate measurement of the hub… I didn’t realize that these fun karts had tolerances in the thousandths. Here is a somewhat better picture, although possibly not as accurate as some would like, it’s difficult to hold the tape and camera at the same time.

If it is possible for anyone, even an aeronautical engineer form Texas, to lend a hand… that would be great. If not, no worries, I’ll leave like the many that have come before me.

 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Hey man. ...don't get it twisted......I wasn't trying to dis you....just saying that first picture was almost useless. ...

The second one was much better. ...and I think sid may be right....

We don't expect you to know anything and we just want to help.....all you had to do was post another pic.......

After you get the metric scale. ....try measuring like this. ...if it's 4 ×90mm....it should look just like this. ....
 

Attachments

  • 14084077711270.jpg
    14084077711270.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Hey man. ...don't get it twisted......I wasn't trying to dis you....just saying that first picture was almost useless. ...

No offense Doug, but I have to disagree..
it wasn't ideal of course (neither is a tape measure at all) but it was good enough to get a clue I'd say.

twistedpiston, I'd still say it's 90mm..
some chinese ATVs have odd metric hubs (like 88mm or 92mm or something)

but I think the first thing you should verify is the bolts..
if those are metric bolts chances are it's a metric hub;
if those are SAE bolts, then it's most likely an imperial sized hub as well.

and the bolts (or nuts if you prefere to measure those) are easier to measure, since there's less chance that an odd number occurs ;)

'sid
 

twistedpiston

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, GA
Thanks for the responses...

The hub and wheels are from what I believe to be a Path Winder. When I get to the shop tomorrow I'll check the size of the wheel studs and the nuts. Also, I'll check the measurement with a metric rule. All I have at the house is a tape measure.

The original drive hub was rusted to the axle and I had to cut/press it off... the axle was bent and not serviceable.

It's my intent to get a new axle and two keyed hubs. I was however hoping to be able to reuse the wheels and tires for now, but the bolt pattern has me baffled.

Thanks again to all.
 

rmm727

New member
Messages
621
Reaction score
9
Location
Brookville, PA
Got a Harbor Freight near by? Buy yourself a cheap dial caliper. Measure the OD of one of the studs and measure the outside to outside distance of the 2 studs you took a picture of. Subtract the stud OD. Divide the result by 25.4 and you have the mm measurement of that bolt pattern.
 

twistedpiston

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, GA
Thanks again for the response... After a more accurate measurement, it would appear that the bolt pattern of these hubs / wheels are 4 on 90mm. I'm not sure that I will be able to find hubs with a 1" id and that bolt pattern. What I might do for the time being is purchase the 4 on 4 hubs and re-drill the wheels to suit. That way, in the future, I will be able to get new wheels and tires without the bolt pattern being an issue.

Thanks again for all of the help. -Keith
 
Last edited:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Patience grasshopper. ...deliver the information. ..and try to refrain from jumping to conclusions. ...if anyone here knows where you can get them....they will tell you. ...if not. ...they will tell you that too.....

We WILL help you. ..you should already see that. ....

EDIT:....Now that we have the whole story. ...we can revisit your original question. .I think 4x4 is too far away to be elongating holes.....so redrilling new holes @ halway between the old ones is doable.....strength is not an issue. .....HOWEVER ....precision is....any deviation from center and your kart will go bumpitty bumpitty into the night. .....
 

twistedpiston

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, GA
Thanks Poboy... As far as drilling the wheels, I figured I would just make a drilling fixture with the new bolt pattern... accuracy should be no problem.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
drilling wheels can be a real PITA..
even if you did your very best and have been carefull in every single step..
be a mm off and you have the riding comfort of square rims.

So.. personally if you do not find a matching hub for the wheels, get a new set of wheels
NOW.

I think since the 3.5" bhc hubs are only about 1mm too small for your wheels bhc,
they may still fit your rims, or you can slightly file the bolt holes on the rim for a better fit.

but drilling new holes... that'd be extremely hard to do correctly.

'sid
 

twistedpiston

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, GA
'sid, I understand your concerns with not re-drilling correctly however, I was thinking about machining a fixture, with the correct pattern, that will fit in the center of the wheel (thus centering the fixture) and then drilling the new holes. Here's a quick sketch of what I'm thinking about.



I’m no stranger to accuracy, here’s what I work on everyday… things have to be pretty accurate. :thumbsup:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top