Hell-raiser 72V Electric Racing Kart

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I've been thinkin' & drawin' on the set-up & design of another racing style, electric powered go kart. :thumbsup:

Ima gonna build upon some of the stuff I learned from designing, building & testing my Excalibur kart.
https://www.diygokarts.com/community/threads/2020-excalibur-electric-racing-kart.43462/

Main components:
ME-0709 72V 5,000W brushed motor (~35 lbs.)
https://www.diygokarts.com/community/threads/predator-eater.45596/

72V 50AH Lithium Battery Pack (~75 lbs.)

This combo should be good-n-powerful
...& last a while too :sifone:

I think I have a pretty good idea of where Ima goin with this one :cool:
...so, Ima gonna start roundin' up some more stuff ;)

Here is a peek SAM_4009.JPGSAM_4010.JPG

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Center of gravity? What I see under that purple X is just the dimensional center point. Put my first exwife on that thing a few years after the divorce and you'd find out what center-of-gravity really means.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Wadda ya mean is it gonna be fast?
...of course it's gonna be fast :auto:

Wadda ya mean, will it "lift it's leg to pee"?
...ain't that what the X is for? ;)

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
So it is going to squat to pee? And if you wreck it will burn to the ground like Tesla’s do? The good part is you will get thrown clear. :stir::roflol:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
So it is going to squat to pee? And if you wreck it will burn to the ground like Tesla’s do? The good part is you will get thrown clear. :stir::roflol:
Um...girls "squat to pee" :thumbsup:
...but, you already know that...right?

Live axle karts maneuver better if they are set up to "shift their weight" a bit & "lift" one of the rear wheels slightly, on turns ;)
...but, you already know that...too?

Tesla's burn to the ground
...few & far between
...but, yes it probably happens (like many cars that get wrecked) :eek:

*A Tesla (model S) will "smoke" most '50's, 60's & 70's "muscle cars" :smartass:
...sad but, true :devil2:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
*A Tesla (model S) will "smoke" most '50's, 60's & 70's "muscle cars"
Is that the one with all-wheel drive, or is that some supercar I'm recalling?
Yes, it's sad to see a soundless "engine" embarrass a 70's Mopar, but if you manage to build something yourself that'll also do it, I really want to see it.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The Model S is the luxury 4 door sedan they came out with after the first generation Roadster. Current cars are the S, 3, X, and Y. The X is a cross over SUV with falcon doors for the rear. The Y is a larger version of the 3 in a cross over SUV setup. The S and X are the only current models that actually have their respective letter badge on the vehicle. The 3 and Y do not but are kind of easy to differential. Where as the S kind of looks like a Ford Fusion and similar size, the 3 is kind of like a Corolla in size.

But most of the Tesla EV line up will stomp even modern muscle cars, most notably the Hellcat and Demon. Those are over 700hp and 600lb/ft. But while they'll get beat in the 1/8th and quarter mile, they catch up down the road once, due to the powertrain in the EV. Give it 10 years.

By the randomness of the YouTube algorithm, a guy by the name of James Biggar popped up in my watch feed. Building a 72hp brushless crosskart.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Um...girls "squat to pee" :thumbsup:
...but, you already know that...right?

Live axle karts maneuver better if they are set up to "shift their weight" a bit & "lift" one of the rear wheels slightly, on turns ;)
...but, you already know that...too?

Tesla's burn to the ground
...few & far between
...but, yes it probably happens (like many cars that get wrecked) :eek:

*A Tesla (model S) will "smoke" most '50's, 60's & 70's "muscle cars" :smartass:
...sad but, true :devil2:
I stand by my statements. It seems Teslas are toasting people all the time. :devil2:
No matter how quick that Tesla is you still can’t drive it from Florida to California faster than that 60s muscle car or Volkswagen Beetle for that matter. They can fuel up anywhere. :stir:
Yes, know girls squat to pee and boys lift their leg. Most boys used to know how to fix their gasoline engines. Now the boys are starting to act like girls with their electric cars and their mocafrappalappacappachino lattes from Starbucks or wherever. Saw a guy ask for a black coffee the girl behind the counter asked “how do you make that?” :mad2:

I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I am not making fun of them or trying to change their minds. Just a little good natured ribbing and :horse:.
The fact of the matter is your doing what you love and I’m doing what I love. How can that be bad?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Now, let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming :thumbsup:

First, we'll start with the frame.

I picked up a "stick" (21' pc.) of 1/2" schedule 40 "pipe"

Measured, marked & cut it according to the "pipe legend"

* Piece #9 is a left-over piece, from another project
...that's how we get 22.8' out of a 21' piece ;)
SAM_4044.JPGSAM_4045.JPG
Next, I measured & marked where the "bends" need to be (again according to the pipe legend)

SAM_4047.JPG

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
mocafrappalappacappachino lattes from Starbucks
Yay, hooray, yippee. So gratifying to finally see somebody else besides me call those the way I think of them. Went in with a friend (no choice, was riding with him) to a Starbucks, and I too ordered a cup of coffee. Plain coffee. Black, would add some sugar if it was nasty. They didn't know how to serve me anything that wasn't on the menu board overhead. Took about 5 tries just to make them understand what I was asking for. When she finally did, the poor kid looked like she'd just sucked all the juice out of a green grapefruit in one slurp. Held it out to me at arm's length like it was poisonous.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Next, I drew up a "bending diagram"
...& then, did some bending :thumbsup:

Piece #1 got (2) 30 pump bends
...leaving ~14" in the middle

Pieces #2 & #3 were "supposed" ta get 30 pump bends
...but, (at the last minute) I decided to try 20 pump bends first (noted by 20 in the square box next to the 20P in the circle)
* Note: it's much easier ta add more to a bend than trying to subtract from one ;)

Pieces #4 & #5 got 20 pump bends (as per diagram) :cheers2:

Piece #8 got (2) 20 pump bends
...leaving ~13" in the middle (slight deviation/a little shorter than noted on the diagram) which should give a bit of a tighter
fit" :cool:

SAM_4062 (1).JPG

Here is piece #1 (front bumper) in the bender :2guns:

SAM_4054 (1).JPG

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Surprised but not really at how many pumps you get per each bend. Do it enough times to get for the feel of how much you need for what angle you are going after. When I get my workbench/weld/fabricobble table built, a tube bender is high on my list. Even though I have no experience with them (I went to school for welding, not fabrication), so I'll have to figure that out.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Yup, as with most tools
...practice with 'er enough & ya start getting a pretty good "feel for it" :thumbsup:

Um...don't wait til you get your " workbench/weld/fabricobble table built"
...work with/build stuff with what ya have available ;)

Did ya notice the fancy stand/table, that I have under my bender? (plastic milk crate & piece of plywood) :cool:

* I had no experience with them either (I'm a tow truck driver)
...just "play around" & experiment (a lot) :sifone:

** Also, take lots of notes
...so you'll have a record (if you like how something turned out) of what you did & how you did it :banana:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The work bench I have is so janky and rotted, that I wouldn't trust to have more than 10lbs of crap on it, let alone build anything on it. Plus, need to tear it down to free up some front garage space. The fab table I'm going to build will be on 6 wheels to move it where I need it.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Well, this is a "rough" lay-out of the cut & bent pieces of pipe
...for the frame "plan" :thumbsup:SAM_4055 (1).JPG
Then, added some "dimensional spacers" (custom cut wood)

A 12" wide piece for the "main spacer"
...& a 2 1/2" wide piece for "side spacers" (with "end angles" custom cut, for a nice-n-snug fit) ;)
SAM_4061 (1).JPG

Also, started adding some of the other components "into the mix"
...for "fitment" purposes :thumbsup:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Design Features

I'd like to "point out" a couple of design features, of this frame, that are kinda kool & really "come in handy" ;)

1) It's pretty simple, just (~9) pieces

2) Most pieces only require (1) bend
...& the couple pieces requiring multiple bends, are pretty easily accomplished, with both bends being "in line & on the same plane"

3) The length is easily manipulated, during initial set up (see pic)
...more forward (red) or further back (blue)
...'cause the nacelles' (side "units") can easily be adjusted/positioned & then, attached without any extra work

4) The center section, carrying most of the weight, is mostly doubled up

5) The frames (9) main pieces (~22' of pipe @ ~1lb. per ft.) should only weigh ~22 lbs.
SAM_4064 (1).JPG