Harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a good idea. The harness needs to be at the right angles or it will act to compress your spine when you crash (not good). That's why the seats have holes in the back of them for the harness, they restrict the downward force of the belt on you.

It could be done, but you would need to do a bit of research first.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
i cant find a harness anywhere for less than £60. is that just their price? could i just use a car seatbelt?
also might order this helmet, what do u think??? do i need both. you can see my roll bar in this thread post 62.
i will also be likely to buy a m/s bucket seat, or i might make something.

thanks

Buick455

got any pictures of it?
Reaction score
If your looking for like a 5 point check eBay. Most race rules state that after 3 years or something the harness must be replaced (this is what I have been told anyways). Maybe you could pick up a defunct one from an old oval car racer... I would post a wanted add on CList, who knows what kind of crap people have taking up space. good luck

Here is a few (not un-certified ones like I was talking about though)
one..
two...

edit: Did some digging
Info about the rule is: The harness must be "SFI date coded and must be replaced or rewebbed and certified every 2 years". incase anyone cares, lol acording to the NHRA.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Some people re-new there harness's and some people dont. I think the whole deal about re-newing them is abbsolute rubish because all they do is check for OBVIOUS rips and tears that even your average jo could figure out. Most people just buy new ones. Get the Cam-Lock belts, You wont regret it. Its so much faster and easier to get yourself in.

Buick455

got any pictures of it?
Reaction score
The rules should be that they get inspected before each race or season at the very least. Who wants a bad belt around them? durrr... Kind of a no brainer. When I was younger I use to build parasail winch boats, our parachute harnesses (single and tandem) needed to be inspected every 6 months for the commercial boats, and yearly for the personally owned boats... Same with the parachutes they were attached to. The old ones deemed unsafe were still more then capable to hold weight, one of the guys used them for kite surfing (6'2" & 220lbs) when we couldn't re-certify them anymore...

Buick455

got any pictures of it?
Reaction score
Well, belts are a good idea in any form... If you can spring for the best (5 point & engineered seat) go for it. If not do what you can to make it safe / safer.

Remember though belts don’t just keep you in if you wreck, they are also an accident avoidance device. The better you are held in the seat, the more control you will retain of the wheel.

Most people have the thought that if they aren’t belted in its just them that are at risk and this isn’t the case. If your kart/car starts to lose control and its pitching about your butt is all over the seat, which makes it difficult to steer, break & accelerate.

doesgo

Reaction score
If you've got a cage, I'd get a rear-center seat lap belt out of an older car ('60s through '80s) at a junkyard. 99% chance they've rarely been used, they're non-self-retracting, they're adjustable, reliable, and typically they just mount with a bolt threaded into a welded "nut" on the floor. You could easily weld or fasten the bolt to the kart's frame.

doesgo

Reaction score
Most definitely. I guess you need to consider the construction of the kart, the use, the speeds, the other safety equipment, and your driving and make a decision. I'm all for being safe, but every driver needs to decide how far they're going to take it. A full harness would be nice, but will people spend a few hundred on a five-point harness when the rest of the kart cost $150? Maybe, but not likely. It's a calculated risk, everyone must decide for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.