Harbor Freight orange pipe bender

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Ok, well I was asked about the hf bender I use, and if I had any tips on use. Well, not really..... I get lucky and lot, I guess.
I was asked about something specific, so from here on, that's what I'm talking about....
Ok, was asked about a bumper made from 1/2" gas pipe (black pipe sold at homedepot / lowes..... And chancer wants it 6x18x6..... Hmmmm
Well, like I said , I have a scrap piece I use for measuring and layout.... I hope these pics help you....
The center of the die needs to be marked. PERMANENTLY..... Now, from there to each end, is right at 2.940" so you're looking at 6" of bent tube, right there.... I think the other pics are self explanatory. The length from outside to outside, at the ends of the bend. Wait, from the outside edge, the bend stops at 4.375". So, knowing that, you need 9.25" between the bends.... To get 18" width. (could be off a tad. Remember, I get lucky and lot... :lolgoku:)

So, if I'm right, you need to measure from one end 4.565". Bend at a 90. Should end up 6" from end of tube, to outside of pipe,after the bend. Again, could be off a hair.... Now, from the end of that bend, make a mark at 12.180". That's the center of the next bend. Should end up 18" wide, with a 6" depth/length.... Should be a 23.5" piece to start with..... Do the math though. It's been a bit since I've played with the bender..... :thumbsup:
Use my figures as a base line..... Look at the pics too. Should make sense.
Im trying to do this with as easy as to understand verbage as possible. Trying to explain center lines of radii and stuff just ain't no fun. My best advice, is to get some scrap, marketing the center, and see what you get when you bend certain angles. Mark the center, beginning and end of each bend, for future reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20150502_143603.jpg
    IMG_20150502_143603.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20150502_143552.jpg
    IMG_20150502_143552.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20150502_144040.jpg
    IMG_20150502_144040.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20150502_144023.jpg
    IMG_20150502_144023.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Thanks this is very helpful.:thumbsup: Now I gotta give you a hard time cause it is what we do here! ...
I like the way you say you get lucky and guess, then give measurements down to the .001. Luckily I know .375 is 3/8. but to me 2.940 is 3 inches. Thanks for not getting into center lines and radius, that's where I get lost in the formulas.:cheers2:

Also on this bender do you have any tricks to getting both ends of the "U" level with each other? I some times have to stick one end in a vise and twist the part to get them to line up.:mad:

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
2.940" = 2 15/16" .... :lolgoku:
Actually, again this is where I get lucky. When I first start, I draw me a center line down the length of tube/pipe, for reference. Make the point straight up, in the die. Now, here is where you can go 2 ways. High tec redneck, or just eyeball.....
High Tech redneck style..... Cut you a piece of thin metal and bend it so it sits in the same position every time you put it against the die. Now,bend the top end, so that it goes over/past the center of the die, with the pipe/tube in it. Mark the center. Now that center line you drew on the pipe/tube will line up with this mark, and all the bends should be in the same plane. Does that make sense?
Eyeball method...... Uhh use your eyeball to line up the center line with the middle of the die. Being on a flat surface helps as well, as gravity SHOULD help keep the same plane. :thumbsup:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have used this bender a lot, It gets the job done, it was 40bucks on Craigs list. The key is patience, and "hi tek redneck". and hope you get lucky. I have also drawn a line down the pipe, included a bubble level, eyeballed it had the wife help, had her eyeball it. It is way cheaper than the next alternative and for a go kart it gets the job done better than nothing.
BTW I made the rear bumper, It worked great the first try. So thanks for this help.
pics on my "Razor conversion" thread.:cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.