Had to buy another one

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Yea. About $75 after shipping from gopowersports. The axle and a new tire set me back about $150. All part of the game I guess.
Ouch. :mad2:

If I leave this one stock, I could install a light now that I have found the power take off from the engine.
A power take off? Cool. Lights would be nice if you drive in the evening or night. Or early morning. :devil2:. How much 💲that total?

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
that 8hp is a beast! you Got so lucky not starting out with a 5hp... I‘m a massive hack offically/unofficially :auto: I have this yellow 8hp that is Pretty wild. I have tried to build a 5hp as much as I can and it was not worth the time to do it. arc rod and drop bracket arc flywheel. it was just no fun After it was built. But I’m so used to the power of an ungoverned 8hp. 30C13DD7-B666-4052-9467-09ED74CA13E7.jpegCD997D12-AF4F-4C63-A618-D1924D521777.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
If I leave this one stock, I could install a light now that I have found the power take off from the engine.
This is also weird to me as yours is pullstart and they didn’t have alternators i didn’t think? And if they did it would be AC charging ran through a diode and made into very low trickle charge dc... you sure that isn’t just the magneto ground wore to shut the Kart off?

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
that 8hp is a beast! you Got so lucky not starting out with a 5hp... I‘m a massive hack offically/unofficially :auto: I have this yellow 8hp that is Pretty wild. I have tried to build a 5hp as much as I can and it was not worth the time to do it. arc rod and drop bracket arc flywheel. it was just no fun After it was built. But I’m so used to the power of an ungoverned 8hp. View attachment 136561View attachment 136562
Hey, I have a question about the 8hp. Does it have the same mounting pattern as the 5hp? I bought a live axle streaker with a Clinton 3.5 (same mounting pattern as 5HP and predator 212) and I want to replace the engine with something classic. I don’t weld.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question about the 8hp. Does it have the same mounting pattern as the 5hp? I bought a live axle streaker with a Clinton 3.5 (same mounting pattern as 5HP and predator 212) and I want to replace the engine with something classic. I don’t weld.
No it does not have the same mounting pattern... I learned this the hard way myself. You have to look at your engine mount and see if there is enough metal on each side to ”widen” the slides like I‘ve done on three karts now. but there are drawbacks to widening the slides. the edges of the five could set in the widened cutouts if you ever want to go back to a five for some reason. they sell no aftermarket 8hp parts. lastly. and most importantly your safety. stick that 8hp behind your head ungoverned and wing it up to far... am I dancing with danger? ohh yes. Should you???

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Not to mention Streakers have no seat to engine room so a relocated tank. I’ll go with the rear tank 5HP. It’s my first kart anyway. Plus I want to learn engine rebuilding with this project. That’s why I didn’t go to HF and get a predator. One last question, how many (if any) 5HP B&S engines have you come across with side covers you can mount a TC to?

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
hmm no welding. That’s not to tough to beat. You find a b80 or raider 12 wheelhorse with an 8hp engine and you have a drill you mount any engine you want to on the gokarts original 5hp slides! You mount your 8hp to the wheelhorse engine mount. then drill two holes that match your kart Mounts front slides. Pull the engine back to tighten the chain. Then drill two holes in the back And bolt It tight with four bolts and a drill. if you don’t have a welder you will be paying for it by having to do a whole bunch of aligning.
View attachment 136563View attachment 136564
I think I’ll go with a 5HP. oh, and maybe weld up a deflection shield over your 8hp.
Not to mention Streakers have no seat to engine room so a relocated tank. I’ll go with the rear tank 5HP. It’s my first kart anyway. Plus I want to learn engine rebuilding with this project. That’s why I didn’t go to HF and get a predator. One last question, how many (if any) 5HP B&S engines have you come across with side covers you can mount a TC to?

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Torque converter mounting on a 5hp kind of sucks... there is bearing crank 5hp and bushing crank 5hp. you can swap cranks press a bearing onto a bushing crank. i do not know if raptor side Covers fit stock tiller 5hp’s... or vice-versa.. I Couldn’t find the right t/c sidecover for my 5hp without ripping my log splitter apart... so I stopped looking for one and moved on to bigger engines and wheel horse engine mounts. I miss this 12hp... ohh just realized sorry for the total hijacking of this thread. sweet 8hp!282FB547-CA1A-4359-93B1-97532CCEE5B5.jpeg

bullseye670

Reaction score
It's tempting, Denny. The wire I found is wrapped up like it came from the factory. The end of the wire looks new. There is a small male plug on one end of the wire that match's a small female plug hanging off the front of the engine. Not sure what else it could be for. Already has a kill switch wired up from the factory. I'll post a pic of it later today.

Last edited: