Had to buy another one

bullseye670

Reaction score
So I did a bad thing the other day and started looking at the face book marketplace. I found myself a Manco Dingo 388. I already have one I'm beefing up the drive train. This is a one owner, sat in the pole barn for a lot of years. Wasn't cheap, but it's in great condition. It just needs a good soap bath and some tubes for the dry rotted back tires. I've been looking for one of these for a while now.

Attachments

• Black 388 Dingo.jpg
    Black 388 Dingo.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Dingo Engine.jpg
    Dingo Engine.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Engine pic.jpg
    Engine pic.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Engine photo.jpg
    Engine photo.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230311_120512275.jpg
    IMG_20230311_120512275.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Oh no, another amazing condition dingo! Caution: looking on FaceBook marketplace is known to cause serious go kart multiplication issues and junk collection habits. Great find!

bullseye670

Reaction score
I got her home and had a chance to give it a quick cleaning. Darn garden hose is out in the barn, frozen, so I used some simple Green and some rags. pretty nice. Only one bad tire. It was low and developed a crack in the tire. Not sure how well a tube will work. My first thought is always to tear something apart and make it better but I may leave this one alone. It does have some sort of oil leak I'm going to have to address. It should be plenty fast with the 8hp Briggs. It's nice that no one has monkeyed with things. All stock. Here's some wiped down photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20230311_210022403.jpg
    IMG_20230311_210022403.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230311_210013124.jpg
    IMG_20230311_210013124.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230311_210028567_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230311_210028567_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I got her home and had a chance to give it a quick cleaning. Darn garden hose is out in the barn, frozen, so I used some simple Green and some rags. pretty nice. Only one bad tire. It was low and developed a crack in the tire. Not sure how well a tube will work. My first thought is always to tear something apart and make it better but I may leave this one alone. It does have some sort of oil leak I'm going to have to address. It should be plenty fast with the 8hp Briggs. It's nice that no one has monkeyed with things. All stock. Here's some wiped down photos.
It’s all stock? Wow. One of the most frustrating things about this hobby is janky changes that others have made.

bullseye670

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. It's nice that it's a one owner machine. He's going to hunt down the paperwork from it and give it to me. That's always nice. It sat in a pole barn for at least 10 years or more. I gave him $500 for it. Not really bad considering the condition and all.

bullseye670

Reaction score
I have a tire just like it. I'm going to try and remove the old one today and put this other tire on it. The treads a little worn, but it's not bad. A tube is about $30 or a new tire is $90. If I'm not happy with the tire I have, I'll probable just buy one tire.

bullseye670

Reaction score
I'm pretty geeked about it right now. The seller said it needs a fuel line so I haven't had it running yet. I'll fix that today and see how it runs.

bullseye670

Reaction score
Nah. I've been trying to make a 285 into a 388. I've added tubing on the rear, like the 388 has and gussets for the front axle. It's coming out nice, but its not really big enough in the engine compartment for a gx390. This will simplify things. Now the 285 will get a gx200, like it should, and I'm leaving this kart stock, I think.

bullseye670

Reaction score
Day 2, time to start it up. the fuel tank was bone dry, I replaced the fuel line and filter. Gave it a shot of ether, and she started on the first pull!!!
It didn't want to run without the choke half closed. After a bit she did run without the choke. It was dark outside so I didn't try to drive it. It does have a bent axle. I'm going to order one today. Overall, VERY HAPPY! There was even a small wire wrapped up and wire tied to the frame. It's been there since this thing was new. I believe it's a power wire for lights and accessories. There is a small plug on the engine the it connects to.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Looks like you’re the opposite of our friend thepartsguy, all he does is ride in the dark! :lolgoku:
nice that it’s running, shame it has a bent axle though.