• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Gokart / minibike gas tank manufacturing opportunity

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Hey guys, so while looking for parts for my minibike project I found that simple, small aluminum gas tanks are ridiculously expensive! So I decided I'm going to make my own line of high quality, aluminum gas tanks. They will be 100% made in the USA, I'm going to use all billet parts and very thick aluminum.

The tanks will be 3 inches round and 8 inches long, 1/4-inch-thick wall, feature a billet vented gas cap, a billet 1/4 inch fuel barb, and optional mounting tabs.

All of the competitor's tanks go for $100-$160 with less capacity and they're built out of thin materials. Mine will be offered at $80 plus tax and shipping.

Anyways in a couple days i'll put up an ad on Ebay with some pictures and ill post the link here. Cheers!

Last edited:

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
This is a great idea! I like the idea of these tanks, they sure are pretty but like you said, pricey.
For fellas making these new but "vintage" style minibikes, the remote billet tank goes a long way towards
helping a larger engine fit a smaller frame {like a clone engine} by removing the large and bulbous factory tank.

$80 is a nice price point, especially shipped.

karl

Reaction score
I want to buy one! Can't wait to see what they look like! Are you making them yourself, or outsourcing the manufacturing? Just curious, would be cool to know how it's made.

jmaack

Reaction score
I might be interested. I'd like to see pics also The price alone is why I never bought one.

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Alright so I got the cap today. Here's the results... first pic is where it started, then it progresses to the last 3 pics which are the final product.
This is how I made it:
1. cut 8in aluminum pipe
2. use hole saw and drill hole for bungs
3. remove oxide layer from parts and acetone clean
4. weld pipe endcaps
5. weld bungs
6. smooth everything with belt sander and wire wheel

I'm not 100% happy with how the weld on cap turned out. The welding on the cap/bung got a little chunky because I had to weld a gap because I screwed up with the hole saw. I also let the work piece get too hot, I should have let it cool down after a pass on one side. To correct I welded up the area around the bung so it would be uniform, then I took a wire wheel to the whole thing.

When I do this again, I'll use the hole saw the right way and only weld it one time. I also learned that I need to be more careful to not bump into the bungs when smoothing out welds... Next time the results will look much better.

So, what do you guys think? What do I need to improve on? What would you change or want different if you were to buy one?
Do keep in mind the ones I make moving forward will look better than this one.

Thanks

Last edited:

pearl111

Reaction score
We used to call them open toed boots, 😂

Really though so far so good, I think you're on the right track. And I believe your going to have a really good product for the price your asking.

karl

Reaction score
One improvement I made was the cap vent. Just an open hole with no baffle will leak gas
as your bombing around the yard.

So I drilled a 7/32 hole in the cap, then tapped it 1/4-28 thread. Then I ground the top off
a grease zerk just enough get the ball to pop out, and pulled out the spring.

Now the zerk is just a hose barb, so I added a piece of 3.5mm fuel line and a clamp.

Cleaned up a bit, did not put a tons of effort into it, but im sure if sanded and buffed some more, id shine.
Should looks good , thanks! Yes I always use fuel filters, should look good on my lawn chair build!

Attachments

• 20211218_213927.jpg
    20211218_213927.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211218_213740.jpg
    20211218_213740.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Im making a new style of these gas tanks. I've streamlined the manufacturing process, and now I can make 3 tanks in the time it used to take me to make 1. On top of that they look a heck of a lot nicer since my aluminum TIG skills have increased greatly, but the price went up $20. I'm meeting with a guy who owns a go kart store here in Phoenix, he wants my tanks in his store. He said if he likes them he could get me on the gopowersports and OMB warehouse websites, hopefully it will work out. Will update. ebay link ---> http://ebay.us/kWwVMc?cmpnId=5338273189

tanq7-removebg-preview (1).pngtanq6-removebg-preview (1).pngtanq2-removebg-preview.png

Attachments

• tanq3-removebg-preview.png
    tanq3-removebg-preview.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 2
  • tanq5-removebg-preview.png
    tanq5-removebg-preview.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jmaack

Reaction score
Not bad. If you made some with mounts to bolt to the ears on predator etc engines that would be sweet. Just bolt it on.