gokart loom

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
A quite similar part I had on my pedaled kart when I was a kid was meant to keep the bearings at a certain distance since no bearing collars were milled into the free wheel rims.

Maybe this one serves a quite similar purpose, depends on weather it is between two bearings or just in front of one bearing.
It might even keep the wheel at a defined distance from the collar of the axle, I can't tell from the pic where it has to go on the kart.

What I can tell you is: If you do NOT KNOW what it does, better have it in place!

'sid
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
It there's two bearings in the rim, which makes the captive's role a mystery. Allowing the wheel to move in and out along the axle is very feasible function. Maybe a "Backerman theory"?
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
See, now I'm somehow lost in translation... backerman?
well as I said I had similar looking plastic parts on my free wheels (front that is) on a pedal powered kart.
That wouldn't make any sense on a live axle.
Also allowing the wheel to move in and out along the axle is not really a good idea, but to restrict that movement with some sort of "spacer" might be.
Again, I cannot tell how your hubs are mounted, since you cannot provide any pictures, and I can't tell from the exploded view.
It wouldn't be necessary on any of the axles I've seen in this forum so far, so I doubt it.

But fact is, if you are unsure, then do it as the manufacturer intended, not just as you like; just to be on the safe side ;)

Important parets are sometimes very cheap (you wouldn't scrap the fixing nut just because it's only 75ct would you?)

'sid
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Are you guys sure he doesn't mean the plastic electrical looming Manco put on the rear axle for aesthetics? I worked on a "silver bullet" kart (pretty positive it was manco) that had plastic loom over the bare gaps on the rear axle . They do nothing but trap dirt n water on your axle and promotes rust.... Because it wasn't used on every kart, I doubt you will see it in any parts lists.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top