Go kart questions

DontEatMySandwich

Reaction score
Hello guys! I just popped in, I recently got a little go kart and have a few questions about it! Can someone identify not only what the cart frame is but what Honda gc series engine is on? I can’t find if it’s a 160 or a 190 or something else. I need to get a muffler for it (if y’all have any suggestions on the quietest pipe I can get that would be appreciated). The last thing I have a question about is removing the governor gear In the engine. Is it a good idea? I also plan to order a 53 tooth sprocket to make it a little faster that 22mph 😂

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31

JimD

Reaction score
It would have been an altered drive system after the kart was built. No one put a Honda on a fun kart--just too expensive. That is a very nicely done home made system. It is a GREAT clutch, 3.2 " pulley going to I hope is a fixed sheave pulley then dropping down to a 10 tooth #41 sprocket going to probably a 60 tooth sprocket on the axle. If it works leave that alone they did a good job. As for the straight pipe, sure it makes a lot of noise but they know you are coming around the turn. Kids love noise and so do most of the big kids on this site.

The Honda could be a GX 160 or GX200. There should be some numbers cast into the aluminum block that will tell you what it is. You will "shi-" when you find out the cost of a Honda muffler.

JimD

Reaction score
If you want it to go faster then change the one on the jackshaft, go up 2 teeth much easier to change then the one on the axle. Tell me the two sprockets that are on there now and will give you a pretty good estimate on what a a two teeth increase on the jackshaft will give you in speed. And you may need a longer chain unlees the engine is all the way back now. Anytime you by-past a governor it is a good idea to open up the side cover and take out the plastic gear. When they do fly apart the pieces end up under the crank and then you blow the bottom out of the engine. Yes, it is a pain in the *** to remove the gear but it is a lot cheaper than a new engine. Also Honda's goes up 300 to 400 higher than an American engine with the governor 3,600, Honda engine 3,900/4,000 with the governor.

Changing to the Honda muffler, guess where the heat will be going after you switch to their muffler. You can buy a cheaper little can muffler and weld it to your pipe BUT build a bracket to support the pipe. The added weight and vibration of the kart will cause something to break off. The picture below is what I did so the fumes would not hit me in the face when testing engagement of clutches. I have since switch to an eclectic motor to do the same thing. It was quicker and quieter but not able to regulate torque without blowing the fuse in the set up I made but I can live with it. I no longer hold the clutch drum with a brake band. I am not sure if Honda has threads into the head like a Briggs but if it does you still have to build a support bracket because of all the vibration. I didn't need the support bracket because the engine is stationary.

Attachments

• Muffler.JPG
    Muffler.JPG
    704.7 KB · Views: 8

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Yes, in agreement that it appears to be home-made. By and large most commercial go karts are made of round tubing, not square, so that is one of the dead-giveaways. It is well made however and something to be proud of.

More pics please, especially of the engine.

I like the combination belt and chain drive. Is that a TAV (Torque-A-Verter) or just a clever jackshaft assembly?

Sure, take out the governor and follow what JimD says OR adjust the governor to deliver a higher RPM than stock. If removed, don't be a fool and rev the ever living piss out of it, you want it to last a while.

Honda GC series is cool. One of the very few small engine lines that has an OHC (overhead cam) run by a belt drive (just like modern automobiles). Good that the builder dealt with the "wrong direction" exhaust port by routing the exhaust to the rear. It's not crazy that it is front-facing on a Honda GC, just different.

For the quietest muffler, the sky really is the limit in regards to what you could cobble together and/or weld up. What is the pipe's OD/outside diameter? If it is 1" I could suggest a simple Briggs "wiener" muffler [ Briggs & Stratton #294599 ] but you'd need a threaded coupler which is 3/4" NPT (or just have it welded onto the end of your pipe). The outside diameter is about 1" and it could be butt-welded onto the end of your pipe but a threaded coupler would allow it to be removed at will.
If the pipe is 1" OD, another option is the RLV Mini 91 slip-on silencer (needs a clamp) but it may offer less noise reduction than the Briggs mentioned previously. Not sure.

Ultimately, I'd ditch the GC engine and go for a.... Rotaderp (read it backwards) and join the rest of the crowd. Lots of performance parts are made for them and the know-how is available at your fingertips.

DontEatMySandwich

Reaction score
Thank you for replying, all of you! I would be happy to send more pictures soon. I do plan to remove the belt and change the clutch and sprocket! Does any one here have anything good for sale or any good recommendations? I’m very new to this so I’m trying to learn all I can! I will also have to look around for a muffler as I live in a neighborhood! Thanks! (Hopefully I can snag some pictures tomorrow) 😏

DontEatMySandwich

Reaction score
Yes, in agreement that it appears to be home-made. By and large most commercial go karts are made of round tubing, not square, so that is one of the dead-giveaways. It is well made however and something to be proud of.

More pics please, especially of the engine.

I like the combination belt and chain drive. Is that a TAV (Torque-A-Verter) or just a clever jackshaft assembly?

Sure, take out the governor and follow what JimD says OR adjust the governor to deliver a higher RPM than stock. If removed, don't be a fool and rev the ever living piss out of it, you want it to last a while.

Honda GC series is cool. One of the very few small engine lines that has an OHC (overhead cam) run by a belt drive (just like modern automobiles). Good that the builder dealt with the "wrong direction" exhaust port by routing the exhaust to the rear. It's not crazy that it is front-facing on a Honda GC, just different.

For the quietest muffler, the sky really is the limit in regards to what you could cobble together and/or weld up. What is the pipe's OD/outside diameter? If it is 1" I could suggest a simple Briggs "wiener" muffler [ Briggs & Stratton #294599 ] but you'd need a threaded coupler which is 3/4" NPT (or just have it welded onto the end of your pipe). The outside diameter is about 1" and it could be butt-welded onto the end of your pipe but a threaded coupler would allow it to be removed at will.
If the pipe is 1" OD, another option is the RLV Mini 91 slip-on silencer (needs a clamp) but it may offer less noise reduction than the Briggs mentioned previously. Not sure.

Ultimately, I'd ditch the GC engine and go for a.... Rotaderp (read it backwards) and join the rest of the crowd. Lots of performance parts are made for them and the know-how is available at your fingertips.
I was going to look around Amazon a little, (gonna sound like a little coward for saying this) but I need a muffler that is as quiet as possible. To clarify I love the straight pipe BUT my neighbors after a little while most likely won’t! If anyone has any suggestions for mufflers I’d love to compare a few!

BSR#2

Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, a slip on with clamp is gonna be your best option. Measure the outside diameter of you header before ordering.

You are gonna need to brace it as jimd mentioned. If no brace, the header will break at the flange.

Heres a rlv silencer. The smaller, the less noise, but they still not as quiet as the stock muffler.

I recommend a silencer/muffler and run it around awhile to get use to it and make sure no unexpected surprises before ordering any upgraded or mod parts.

Have fun, enjoy.

Hellion

Reaction score
I was going to look around Amazon a little, (gonna sound like a little coward for saying this) but I need a muffler that is as quiet as possible. To clarify I love the straight pipe BUT my neighbors after a little while most likely won’t! If anyone has any suggestions for mufflers I’d love to compare a few!

Well, tell us the OD (outside diameter) of the exhaust pipe. I asked already but you may have gotten lost in my "TL;DR" wall of text. Once we know we can see what's available. You can get on ebay and search for "1 inch small engine muffler" or similar terms and see what comes up. Lots of small scooter and motorycle exhausts there, for sure, plus specific go kart stuff.

I dunno about the RLV muffler, it may have just a screen inside as a baffle to stop all the exhaust popping and blaapping but little to reduce noise. It may just be little more than a spark arrestor.

Make me a sammich! 🥪

BSR#2

Reaction score
Well, tell us the OD (outside diameter) of the exhaust pipe. I asked already but you may have gotten lost in my "TL;DR" wall of text. Once we know we can see what's available. You can get on ebay and search for "1 inch small engine muffler" or similar terms and see what comes up. Lots of small scooter and motorycle exhausts there, for sure, plus specific go kart stuff.

I dunno about the RLV muffler, it may have just a screen inside as a baffle to stop all the exhaust popping and blaapping but little to reduce noise. It may just be little more than a spark arrestor.
Yea, that's all it is. The bigger rlv's are loud. My son changed to the smaller 1", theres a big difference.

electraglide

Reaction score
You most likely are right about your engine being GC160 or 190. only way to tell is finding the model number or serial number that should be stamped on the side of the engine then google that number. The 190 looks pretty much the same and it's hard to tell the difference. You can find the mufflers in Amazon decently price, they both use the same muffler.

Honda GC160  final.jpg

Honda GC160 Muffler.jpg

DontEatMySandwich

Reaction score
Here are the rest of the photos I promised! Maybe this can help some of y’all recommend some parts (needs a chain driven clutch, better sprocket, and a better muffler, thanks for some Suggestions on the mufflers so far)

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpeg
    IMG_4348.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4347.jpeg
    IMG_4347.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4349.jpeg
    IMG_4349.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4350.jpeg
    IMG_4350.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If I was you I would be talking to JimD about one of his Max-Torqe 20 series CVT set ups and do away with the centrifugal clutches all together. You’ll be much happier.

DontEatMySandwich

Reaction score
After getting the go kart all cleaned and whatnot I made a small track with my friends and it easily held up running pretty much full throttle for a few hours, maybe 2 hours of bumpy track and full throttle. The track is maybe just a bit under 1/4th mile. We ran back to back laps maybe 15 times over and my little kart held up 🤙 it needs quite a tune up now though haha! I plan on getting some upgrade parts this week so keep an eye out for my post on that!

Hellion

Reaction score
If it's a dirt track, check and clean your air filter and maybe clean and lube the chain (might have to remove it for a deep clean).

...You can find the mufflers in Amazon decently price, they both use the same muffler.

He can't use the stock muffler assembly as it will give him a "hot back", as in directing hot exhaust forward, plus he'd lose that ultra cool "header" with the nice sweeping arc in it. Matter of fact, his header is a little too close already to the back of the seat, but it's probably fine.

I really like those Honda GC series engines, just the way they look. Nice vertical cylinder orientation where most small industrial engines are canted over almost sideways (Honda GX series and all the clones, predators, etc).

Don't know of anyone really using Honda GC engines to "go fast".

DontEatMySandwich

Reaction score
I recently got this (pictures down below) it matches the muffler bolt pattern and is a tighter bend out of the header which doesn’t give me “hot back”

Attachments

• IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4451.jpeg
    IMG_4451.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4448.jpeg
    IMG_4448.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1