Go-kart engines not many people use but should

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Rato is one of a few Chinese engine manufacturers, usually they are yellow and black. They also make the Predator I believe.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
thanks. I got it running yesterday with a quick carb clean. it is not running quite right. but I think that is because one of the gaskets is torn. I think that it is going to be a nice strong engine. I polished up the shaft and next onto a kart!

ThatTomGuy

Reaction score
I have a 243 rotax snowmobile engine a friend dropped off. I saw it running in a video chat but haven;t tried it since it arrived a year ago.
It's just the complete motor with the tapered output shaft sticking out that I would have to adapt to for drivetrain.
While i understand what clutches and things do, I do not have the knowledge to go buy the components needed that go onto that shaft so it will drive a rear axle.
kinda why I joined this site.... to learn from the like minded and hopefully put some projects together.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Only a few members have used snowmobile engines on here. I'll be using one on my buggy build that I'll hopefully be starting this summer or fall.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
$200 on Home Depot's website will get you your choice of a Lifan or Duromax 196cc 6.5-7.0 hp electric start engine. <this was true yesterday anyway.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Hey right on im buying a 440cc duromax for my yerfdog the only reason is i have to put lights on it so its street legal which means no more 60mph+ rips i gotta keep the goveneor on the 440cc but it should still riiiip also i plan on making a new engine plate to acomodate the new big block instead of my worn out old honda ( still runs mint)

ThatTomGuy

Reaction score
can't seem to find duromax engines in canada. Everything I'm finding with google searches are built into pressure washers , generators ect. I did find Lifan engines at home depot though. They have a 7hp, 6:1, pull and electric key start for 550ish (canadian) . Gonna have to watch for sales to come up.

rockman96

Reaction score
I snagged a Duromax 440 last night on Home Depot's site for $352. I'm gonna build the crap out of it and run it on methanol

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Briggs and Stratton 18hp Vanguard horizontal V-Twin. Huge aftermarket for them do to being quite popular in the FX/T class for mower racing. The smaller 479cc 14hp/16hp Vanguard V-twin is also a great choice. Pressure lubrication with spin-on oil filters. Already come with pulse pumps. Can he had with either pull or electric start.

Also, opposed twin flathead engines from Briggs and Stratton, Onan...usually these have a starter-generator that runs off of a v belt. They do not like to rev much and they lack aftermarket support. But since these do have a v-belt for the starter-generator, you could use a longer belt and run an alternator for more lights!

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
Wisconsin 4 cylinder engines, v series.
That is funny Denny I have a Lindsay air compressor from I think the 60 and it has a Wisconsin V4 the engine ran like a champ until the fuel pump quit I bought an electric fuel pump but I am running a IR 185 in its place and that baby has a turbo John Deere I have been thinking about building a sawmill with the Wisconsin

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
I have a 243 rotax snowmobile engine a friend dropped off. I saw it running in a video chat but haven;t tried it since it arrived a year ago.
It's just the complete motor with the tapered output shaft sticking out that I would have to adapt to for drivetrain.
While i understand what clutches and things do, I do not have the knowledge to go buy the components needed that go onto that shaft so it will drive a rear axle.
kinda why I joined this site.... to learn from the like minded and hopefully put some projects together.

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
What you need to do is find out what sled the engine came from I am an Artic Cat man until the day I die when I came up with my screen name I did not have a clue there was actually Thunder carts my favorite all time sled is a Thundercat there is nothing better then a 1000cc Triple Suzuki two stroke but I believe your engine is out of a tundra once you find out what it came out of you can look up what kind of clutches came with those sleds now the skidoo clutches will cost more than say a tourqe converter setup but the belt will be a lot wider and handle 10 times the abuse if you have ever ridden a snowmobile then you understand the kind of beating there setups can take