Go kart as a trailer mover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
I’ve got 3 go karts and 1 minibike, when they run they are fun but my old trailmaster buggy has just been a money pit. I’m not impressed with the GY6 so far. I posted it for sale and at the same time realized I might be able to use it for something else I need, a trailer mover. My backyard is small so pulling a 16 or 18’ car hauler trailer in can be done, turning it around can’t with a full-size truck.

My thought was, the buggy already has rubber filled tires, mount a receiver hitch. Replace gy6 setup with a predator engine with a reverse gearbox, probably use a torque converter unless a clutch is mandatory, gear way down and use it to move an empty trailer around the yard.

Thoughts/criticisms/concerns??

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Should be fine, bur make sure to brace the frame where you mount the hitch.
I'll be watchin' this thread.
:popcorn:

bthompson224

Reaction score
Sell it and get a four wheeler. With that stress, it will only get worse. I use a hand pulled trailer dolly.

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
I don’t know but I think a predator will solve 90% of my frustrations. Throw a new master cylinder on it, receiver hitch will be cake and motor/gearbox will be simple just $200 plus sprockets,chain and the little pieces. I’ve seen 2 trucks on YouTube that are setup with a predator 212 driving the factory transmission. If I can gear it down enough I’d like to use a 212 so I won’t need a battery.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Sell it and get a four wheeler. With that stress, it will only get worse. I use a hand pulled trailer dolly.

Good call. Utility style 4-wheelers; they're beasts.

But a trailer dolly, like this?

anickode

Reaction score
I'd be concerned that even the empty tongue weight on an 18' car hauler would be more than your average go kart axle and suspension will take.

I use my garden tractor. It's plenty beefy.

bthompson224

Reaction score
How easy is it to move a 18’ car hauler on grass? I may try one

I've used it on several boats up to 22 foot, plus empty trailers of various sizes. Even uphill. Not easy peasy, but not really hard either. Certainly not if it had a car on it. Plenty hefty enough if the trailer is correctly balanced.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Okay, so noone moves trailers in tight areas :p , screw the go cart idea. 2 options IMO front hitch on truck...serious money maker, next choice would be a small tractor
I have before and we just used a full size truck and old fashion muscle if we needed to move it further over. We did try using a lawn tractor to move a boat trailer, however, we did not take into account the tongue weight too much and the tractor lifted the front tires off the ground. Needed about 150lbs of counter weight for it. I'm not a big guy (maybe 160lbs soaking weight) and I've had to heft a loaded boat trailer over a bit to get the truck lined up with it. Not an easy task, but doable. Only reason I had to was because the jack wheel would dig into the ground (grass and gravel).

bthompson224

Reaction score
I do. Back it through the gate and grab the dolly. Most boat yards around here use a 4 wheeler. Again, depends on the tongue weight. For most empty trailers that's under 50 pounds if correctly balanced.

karl

Reaction score
Sound like you need a chair

beefy hydro garden tractor axle (tuff torq k65), easy foot drive

cast iron front axle (from IH cub)

rack and pinion steering (from cub PRO Z commercial )

extremely short wheelbase , tight turning radius

covers all the bases, throw a ball on the front and back, call it a day.

All for the cost of welding wire , oil, and a v belt

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.