Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibnzmonkey

Keep Austin Weird
Reaction score

Theos Speed Shop

Top Fuel
Reaction score
Chassis is in primer, parts are ready to be bolted on. I'm getting there!

Attachments

• P1071274_zps7ca06edf.jpg
    P1071274_zps7ca06edf.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
  • P1071272_zps873dd69d.jpg
    P1071272_zps873dd69d.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 5
  • P1071278_zpsd9607fc7.jpg
    P1071278_zpsd9607fc7.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

zbuck

Reaction score
:cheers2: Its looking good. To bad Art Arfons is not around, I bet he would really like it and have some interesting tid-bits to help out.

Theos Speed Shop

Top Fuel
Reaction score
I contacted Tim Arfons when I started and he wanted nothing to do with my project unless I was using a large jet and had HUGE $.... Kinda bummed me out.

zbuck

Reaction score
:wai: To bad, you would think he be interested. Tim must not be out of the same mold is Father was. Art, would help you out anyway he could. I remember one time at the NTPA n Nationals at Bowling Green, Art had a jet powered farm tractor, brought it up on power and drop the clutch. The tractor did not move, but both rear wheels went down the track. Sheared all the axles studs off.

jamyers

Reaction score
Cool! Pardon my ignorance, but how is a turbocharger going to provide jet thrust - or am I missing something?

builder bob

Reaction score
sick! don't understand how you can use a turbo to make a jet engine with out any serious modification though.

Theos Speed Shop

Top Fuel
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't done any updates in a while. If anyone is near Cleveland Ohio I will be at the Autorama the weekend of 3/15 with the Pocket Rocket done. I'm getting real close!

The front rims are Jr. dragster, I think they are 8x2.5

As far as the turning a Turbo into a jet engine its not too hard if you can weld. In the attched pics you can see the combustion chamber. Basicaly the turbo needs an oil suply, then you add a chamber to connect the front and rear section of the turbo, in that chamber you drill a bunch of holes (all need properly sized and placed) and add fuel and spark and you have a jet!

Attachments

• IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5673.jpg
    IMG_5673.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7646.jpg
    IMG_7646.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 11

jamyers

Reaction score
Ok, you're building a separate combustion chamber, exhausting through the turbine which spins the compressor wheel, which pumps fresh air into the combustion chamber.

How much thrust do you expect?

Just curious, what keeps the exhaust from wanting to go back through the compressor section? The fuel nozzles' location and aiming helps I'm sure, but what else?

Theos Speed Shop

Top Fuel
Reaction score
Not sure, These motors typically power "normal" go carts to 70- 80. Mine weights a bit more. Quite honestly with the history and the safety issues with this I'm not really planning on trying to set any speed records.

Just the airflow alone keeps the gasses from going back. This is how they are normally set up.

jamyers

Reaction score
Looking good! Got any pics of the completed engine? Where does it draw air in? That's a fascinating way to build a jet, imho. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.