• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Gaming Chitchat

What kind of a gamer are you??

• Not into it.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Casual gamer

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Avid gamer

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Way too into it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
So basically I'm just curious how many people in the DYGK community are also gamers. This thread can also be used for miscellaneous gaming talk.

This past year I had a pretty nice PC gifted to me from a friend, and he introduced me to "proper" gaming. Up until then I'd basically just done dinky internet flash games. Then he came along and introduced us to Steam, which got me started in PC gaming. Never had a gaming console of any kind, whether it be Nintendo, PlayStation, or Xbox, I've only ever played on other people's consoles, so naturally I'm not too great with a controller.
BUT-the same fast fingers that help me turn a wrench and pound out forum replies also make me a natural at PC keyboard gaming!

Lately the games I play is

A little bit of Terraria here and there, since I've already beat it on normal AND Expert mode.
A whole lot of Dota 2 on Steam (one of the major Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas a.k.a MOBAS)
And just lately I've been getting started in League of Legends, probably one of the most famous MOBAS and essentially a cousin to Dota 2.

Yack away, gamers!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'm a casual. Not into the tryhard competitive game stuff, quite a toxic bunch usually. Spent most of my life gaming on console, since about 1996. I've most of the PC games I do are city builders (SimCity 3000 and 4), Roller Coaster Tycoon series (1, 2, 3, plus expansions), the original Call of Duty (with United Offensive expansion). Going to get MechWarrior 5 on console this spring because I've enjoyed watching the sone people on YouTube and I've been watching the early 90s BattleTech cartoon series.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah there are some pretty toxic people in MOBAs, but honestly it's not nearly as bad in the Ranked competitive matches since there's actually something on the line. Usually Unranked matches are where the trolls and toxic people are. But alas, there'll always be THAT guy that is pointlessly abusing his team.
It's funny because although I've heard League of Legends has more toxic players than Dota 2, it seems to be the opposite so far. I mean I believe it, but it's certainly not as bad as I thought. My brother loves Roller Coaster Tycoon too, we used to be big on all the "Tycoon" games, I still have Zoo Tycoon installed on my old laptop.

Ya know, speaking of toxic people, guess what my gamertag is? ToxicFruit2000 :roflol:
I made it way back when I was playing Asphalt 8, because I saw other people's gamertags and noticed a funny trend: Usually some apocalyptic, dark word, followed by something really ordinary and harmless, and then a 4 digit number. So I came up with ToxicFruit2000, and it's stuck to this day! I didn't even realize at the time that toxic is a term in the gaming community funny enough, but it just makes it funnier.
But hey, I'm not even toxic, so that adds another layer of irony, since I'm usually the LEAST toxic person in each match!

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
I mostly play beamng drive and minecraft and atm i have an acer aspire 5 with 4 gb ram (i plan to uprgade to 12 and then 16), AMD raegon vega as the GPU and an AMD ryzen 3 3200u as the CPU. Most of the mc pvp games are just filled with hords of toxic 12 yearolds who dont have a clue how to act online

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'm glad I don't use a headset for online gaming, unless I'm doing it to hear the game better, especially during real quiet parts. Plus sound engineers put an awful lot of hard work, so I want to at least listen to it. But I can't stand voice chat anymore. If it's not 12 year olds talking tough, its babies screaming in the background, or really crappy music playing with someone making food.

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
I can wholeheartedly agree with that, Whenever I am in the middle of a game with my friends in vc having fun then all of the sudden some random 12 yearold joins it just ruins the whole thing because whenever a 12 yearold dies in a game, they get so mad and screem into the mic and we alll have to leave. Then i discovered discord and the 12 yearold screeming stuation gets completly resolved.

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
So basically I'm just curious how many people in the DYGK community are also gamers. This thread can also be used for miscellaneous gaming talk.

This past year I had a pretty nice PC gifted to me from a friend, and he introduced me to "proper" gaming. Up until then I'd basically just done dinky internet flash games. Then he came along and introduced us to Steam, which got me started in PC gaming. Never had a gaming console of any kind, whether it be Nintendo, PlayStation, or Xbox, I've only ever played on other people's consoles, so naturally I'm not too great with a controller.
BUT-the same fast fingers that help me turn a wrench and pound out forum replies also make me a natural at PC keyboard gaming!

Lately the games I play is

A little bit of Terraria here and there, since I've already beat it on normal AND Expert mode.
A whole lot of Dota 2 on Steam (one of the major Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas a.k.a MOBAS)
And just lately I've been getting started in League of Legends, probably one of the most famous MOBAS and essentially a cousin to Dota 2.

Yack away, gamers!
Lol i too have never really had a gaming console exept for back in 2009 i had one of the og wiis and it is still sitting in my room to this day (and it still works like new)

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah Discord is really nice for partying up. I will say though that League of Legends only has voice chat for members of your party, so it's not a problem in League. In Dota 2 on the other hand........well, one time I was using the team voice chat to help coordinate, and then one guy literally said "SHUT YOUR FACE!". I was all like ??? OK.......
Honestly it's entertaining to watch people make fools of themselves sometimes.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
I play a good bit of MC, not as much by myself but survival worlds with siblings and/or friends. I also play some Fortnite, mainly because it's cross platform. Friends are on Xbox and Playstation.
Safe to say I'm a casual gamer.

My pc's an i5 4670k, gtx 1050ti, 16gb ram. Most of the system is parts from stuff I've gotten out of an e-recycling bin. (Everything but graphics card)
20210120_162150.jpg

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Daaaaang, Dingo! Your "casual" gaming setup is nicer than mine!
I'm running an Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz, 8 GB of RAM, and a 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 8670 graphics card. But I run Linux so it's easier on system resources. I used to play Minecraft but frankly it got boring. At least Terraria has a ton of enemies, treasures, and bosses.
But all the sandbox world games are eclipsed by MOBAs if you ask me, I love strategic but fast paced combat.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
What version of Linux you running and how has it been playing games with it? Been thinking about abandoning Windows for a few years.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Idk about JT but I'm using ubuntu on the laptop I use for school. Runs faster than Win.10. Might try with a pc I haven't been using.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Currently I run Pop! OS 20.04 Long Term Support (LTS). Additionally I use the Cinnamon desktop environment which makes it more Windows-like to use. I currently do all Steam games on Linux, so I installed the Steam Client and then that's how I run my main games: Terraria and Dota 2. But I have a second hard drive running Windows 10 for other stuff when I need Windows, on that one I play League of Legends. I also play Destiny 2 on Windows through Steam since it doesn't work on Linux.

Of note, I've noticed that Windows has cooler graphics for games and surround sound capabilities, which are fun, but it's also much more taxing on the system and causes the occasional lag. So Windows feels cooler to game with, but Linux is far more stable, the only time I've ever had lag was when our modem was dying.

I highly recommend Linux of almost any flavor, the biggest ones are:
Ubuntu (the standard variation)
Xubuntu (the lightweight but still full featured version)
Linux Mint
and Pop! OS

Try to get the Long Term Support version, it will be more stable and supported for at least a few years.

Any of these will be very solid and reliable, but I personally like the interface of Pop! OS. They're all more or less the same core operating system, but with different extensions, apps, and interfaces. Definitely faster than Windows 10, and you'll never be bothered by Microsoft trying to get you to link absolutely every app and device together. Plus, if you're willing to do some research and use the black-screen terminal interface, you can fix virtually any error without any annoying Microsoft tech support. I've fixed deep file system errors just recently (it was not a Linux problem, the computer simply lost power when the plug came out).

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
get a good pc, you'll have access to more games and if you want to attach a conrotroller it is pretty simple. I have a friend who has a 1200$ custom built gaming pc that he built himself and it just amazes me how fast that thing is compared to mine (its about 3x more than mine but it feels a lot faster than that.)

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah to be honest PCs are far more flexible. You can attach a controller to a PC but not really a keyboard to a console. Plus you can build your own PC just how you want instead of buying a pre built console.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Yeah to be honest PCs are far more flexible. You can attach a controller to a PC but not really a keyboard to a console. Plus you can build your own PC just how you want instead of buying a pre built console.
Consoles tend to be cheaper and easier, something most people enjoy.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
You can actually run an Xbox with Keyboard and mouse now with the Xbox One and Series X.

The reason consoles are so cheap is because they use outdated hardware, that's usually a few years old. If they built them with the latest and greatest, they would be as expensive as a gaming PC. Graphics card is one of the most if not the most expensive piece of hardware. So a console could be well north of $1200 easily if they ran the newest hardware.

Besides, they are usually developed over the course of a couple years. Hardware and technology has been getting really advanced within that time frame. What was newish then, is out of date by the time its launched.