Full Suspension Big Block Mini-Buggy Build

G.W

Reaction score
Scrolling through this it looks alot like my murray full suspension that I'm making to be more of a cross kart with a 459 predator. Good job

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Just took her out for her first test run. All things considered I'm very pleased. This 440cc definitely has a lot of power even for such a large frame. This thing drifts and spins tires even with a 5.4:1 gear ratio. Brakes work great compared to my old Manco Dingo which barely had any brakes. Definitely needs an alignment as it's super darty at high speed but that's probably because I have it toed in.
20231124_144210.jpg
20231124_144221.jpg
Killswitch is installed and works like a charm. Easy access from the driver's seat too. I've always preferred frame-mounted killswitches rather than steering wheel mounted switches because they are always in the same place.

G.W

Reaction score
Just took her out for her first test run. All things considered I'm very pleased. This 440cc definitely has a lot of power even for such a large frame. This thing drifts and spins tires even with a 5.4:1 gear ratio. Brakes work great compared to my old Manco Dingo which barely had any brakes. Definitely needs an alignment as it's super darty at high speed but that's probably because I have it toed in.
View attachment 143701
View attachment 143702
Killswitch is installed and works like a charm. Easy access from the driver's seat too. I've always preferred frame-mounted killswitches rather than steering wheel mounted switches because they are always in the same place.
What tooth sprocket do you have off the driver and on the axle?

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if I n3ed to move my axl3 to .ake room for a larger axle. Sounds like.I probably will have to
Well if you manage to find a smaller tooth driver sprocket you can also drop the size of the axle sprocket. I know there's 9T sprockets for 5/8" jackshafts.

G.W

Reaction score
Well if you manage to find a smaller tooth driver sprocket you can also drop the size of the axle sprocket. I know there's 9T sprockets for 5/8" jackshafts.
The largest I can fit on my axle is a 48T maybe 50t. What size wheels do you have?

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Struggling to decide how to do an alignment on this thing. At higher speeds it has a tendency to wander side to side. I'm unsure if this is due me not having enough caster angle (which is easily adjustable on this buggy) or an alignment issue. As it stands I'm currently toed in (which a lot of RWD vehicles use). However I have been told by an ex-street stock racer to run toe out. Others suggest zero toe. What do you guys suggest? Increase caster? Toe in/out/zero?

SquidBonez

Reaction score
20240104_151833.jpg
Cheap and dirty weight measurement using 4 analog bathroom scales. I've been looking to figure out the weight of this buggy for a while. My goal was about 400 pounds max, any less is a bonus. The final weight (all fluids included) is...drumroll...

430 pounds. And a 40% front, 60% rear weight distribution.

Not bad, only a little heavier than expected. And with roughly 18 horsepower this results in about 24 pounds per horsepower. For reference, a Honda Odyssey FL250 has 26 pounds per horsepower (16 horsepower & 423 pounds). And keep in mind, this buggy is wider, more powerful, and actually has rear suspension (unlike the FL250). Not bad at all.

Last edited: