Frankenbuggy - Manco Vortex gone stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Okay, so it's been a while since I updated progress. The thing worked great this spring so far. No major breakdowns except my daughter running into a tree and bending a piece of steering linkage. I was able to replace & beef it up that night, though. There was one time it got hung up in a rut at one place we go riding. I knew that with the upgrades I had made that it would be able to run much bigger tires - the original ones are just too small to keep a big buggie like that from hanging up.

So, decided to take the plunge and get new 4 from rocky mountain atv - cheapest price I found. I attached pictures of the new setup. I also put on some fenders on all 4. The way that thing flung mud and water with the little tires, I had no intention of finding out how much would come off the big ones! I like a little mud, but on this thing your left arm is right between the front & rear tires when you drive. BTW, those fenders come from jacks small engines. You can get a pair (with mounts) of front or rear for just about 20 bucks. Look up a Manco (american sports works) model called the Carbide. I saw that model and decided to go looking for it's fenders. Was not dissappointed.

It had 18inch rears and 13inch fronts on it. With those, I thought the gearing (in high) was okay or maybe just a little too fast for my daughter. Not that the speed was too much, but she just hesitates and putts around obstacles or through the woods - just not mature enough yet to let it roll through those places. The new tires are 19inch front and 22inch rear. So, with bigger tires, I knew that I'd have to bring the gearing down. However, before I did, I put the GPS on it to see how fast it would go. I tried to record it, but the screen was too dim to show up on my video recorder. I made it to 42 before I ran out of road. The online speed calculator (this site), said I could go 46 at 4000 rpm and I have no doubt it would have made it there in just a little more time. It was geared at 5.72 to 1. I replaced the 23 tooth drive sprocket with an 18 tooth. That may have made it a little too low (7.31 to 1 overall). However, the 36 mph top speed and the nice manners at low speed is going to be perfect for where we ride and for my daughter. The tests rides with the new tires have been outstanding! Not only does it still steer good, but those big tires make it a lot smoother ride. In low gear, this thing is just a plain rock crawler, but that will be nice for hill climbs and telling the kids to use low through the woods. I don't want them hitting any more trees :surrender: BTW, I'm keeping the drive sprocket and chain - there's one place we could go this summer that's a little more wide open. I can put those higher gears on it in just about 20 minutes...

I know, I should have bought a side-by-side or something with all the effort put into this. But, it all really didn't cost that much. And it would not have been as much fun.

Next steps... I still have a couple of Harley Davidson mufflers that I'd like to get on my buggies. Don't know when that will happen, though... I do have a couple of places that I'd like to sure up the splash protection. Does anyone know where I can get flat sheet plastic to use as body panels? I'd just use some fastening rings around the frame to attach them. Just a couple of places around the front wheels. Oh yeah, I did have to move the side panels back a little to allow those big tires to clear. Made sure to bottom out the suspension and turn the wheels all the way over.

Thanks for all the posts and messages to date! It's been nice to hear the encouragement..

Attachments

• bluebug side apr 2010.jpg
    bluebug side apr 2010.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 56
  • bluebug front apr 2010.jpg
    bluebug front apr 2010.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 49
  • bluebug back apr 2010.jpg
    bluebug back apr 2010.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.