Frankenbriggs build

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
20210130_210659.jpg20210130_210704.jpg

With all the flatheads that I've been tearing apart because of some failure or another I figured I'd throw one together with all the parts and some extra mods.
20201211_210746.jpg
Engine 1 was a worn out briggs that powered my Manco 485 for a while before I decided I wanted more reliability and power. (212 with stage 1) At some point further along it got dropped off a table and broke off a piece of the head and messed up the sparkplug threads. Then the oil fill cap fell off when it was on another kart and I hosed down the driveway with oil, eventfull life for this one.

Engine 2 was found in a dumpster with stuck valves and a rusted out tank. After freeing up the valves I found the crack running all the way across the bottom. 20201020_172347.jpg20201020_171436.jpg20201020_171442.jpg

Engine 3 was a generator engine that was ran low on oil and smoked like a freight train. I gave the block and piston/rod from engine 1 to my friend and got this one.

I ended up with the head, pison, cam, and rod from engine 2, the crank, flywheel, and sidecover with bearing from engine 1 and the block with valves from engine 3.

As an expirament I modded the cam so it now has more lift and duration. Not sure on exact measurments.

I also plan on knocking down the eyebrows by the valves and maybe a light shave on the head.

Custom intake and exhaust will follow. I'm planning on using a honda clone carb as I have a few laying around, and will have to see of I can get the broken exhaust bolts out of the block.

This is deffinitly going to be a mosquito fogger even with a fresh hone on the cylinder.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Got the Briggs running last weekend. It lives up to its name of mosquito fogger. Plan for it as of now is a rat rod wagon type build.

Ended up with an intake my dad and I made 4? Years ago, with a carb off a 5 horse tecumseh flathead. The exhaust came off a different briggs, just a piece of threaded pipe. The block currently has bolts broken in the holes for the exhaust, so when I take those out I'll make a pipe for it.

20210226_212719.jpg

txluke

Reaction score
Nice. What's the plan? Runner or anything special?
It was a 2hp. I stroked it by swapping out the crank, rod and piston from a 3hp. I also added a ball bearing side cover from a 3.5hp. To add to the rat rod look I swapped out the spark plug wire for copper wires twisted together with barbs added on. I painted them to look like rusty barbed wire. It ran good but the exhaust valve guide was worn and it smoked a lot. I got a 3.5hp with the better MOD 9 connecting rod and heavy cast aluminum flywheel. I have a good 2hp block I am swapping everything into.

Attachments

• 20210207_011536.jpg
    20210207_011536.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
What would the plan be with an engine that small? And this engine has the same issue. Bad exhaust valve guide, so as I've mentioned, mosquito fogger.

txluke

Reaction score
I could easily build a 3.5hp or a small block 4hp and slap the old school blower housing on it. I like the idea of starting out with an old 2hp and getting 4hp. I also have 9 old 2 to 3 hp engines and a few 3.5's that I can use to swap parts around and play with. I am working on a carb now. I took out the choke and blocked off the origional intake for more airflow. I drilled out the jet and the metering holes in the carb body and now it runs on alcohol. I have a mini bike with a 3.5hp tecumseh and I plan on eventually replacing it with the briggs.

Attachments

• 20210302_165739.jpg
    20210302_165739.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
I could easily build a 3.5hp or a small block 4hp and slap the old school blower housing on it. I like the idea of starting out with an old 2hp and getting 4hp. I also have 9 old 2 to 3 hp engines and a few 3.5's that I can use to swap parts around and play with. I am working on a carb now. I took out the choke and blocked off the origional intake for more airflow. I drilled out the jet and the metering holes in the carb body and now it runs on alcohol. I have a mini bike with a 3.5hp tecumseh and I plan on eventually replacing it with the briggs.
Interesting. Runing it without a filter?

txluke

Reaction score
I just wanted to see if it would work on alcohol. When I rebuild it I will figure out a filter. I have been thinking of making an intake and running a pz19 carb.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Ran the flathead some yesterday, smoked out the barn. The engine needs rings bad. 60psi for compression test but it still gets up to 5600 rpm.