frame material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I've actually been wondering about this and you would probably know. What is the best way to make jigs for these? In Kartfab's videos he uses plywood and small nails, but what about using welding tables and magnets?
Magnets do work pretty well, though they can mess with the arc of the welding a bit.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
I've got a 26" wide steel table I drilled holes in it, dropped some double nutted bolts in seems to work pretty good. the problem I have is my table has a little swag in it on one end. I have to shim up on one end, then I use a level to get it as close as I can. then I use small tack welds to hold each piece, just enough to hold it without putting much heat on it. seems to work for me ok. ( the table is 8" long its the back end off an old truck bed). when I finish I grind the tacks off the frame and table.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I have some really strong Magnets and even those "welding magnets" for 90° Corners will mess with my Lincoln 125 mig if too close.

But Magnets sure will not hold down a frame from warping and twisting while welding.

Randy H

Reaction score
I just thought of one advantage for a HF AC FCAW machine. You can use all the magnets you want and it won't be affected. No DC, no arc blow.

By all means though, still use that for an excuse.:)

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
IMG_20170120_103210.jpg

IMG_20170120_103242.jpg

IMG_20170120_103301.jpg

IMG_20170120_103329.jpg

View attachment 8110 WELL HERES ANOTHER CHANGE. Ineed side restraints on this one. Need your opinion if you can see what I done. The last pic is a tubing bender I made tried it on this side restraint. Pretty caveman but seemed to work ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20170120_103648.jpg
    IMG_20170120_103648.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 12

tinamcjittles

ello m8
Reaction score
This is a cool looking layout, and the metal jig idea isn't bad, because magnets are terrible sometimes! They make those welding tables but good ones are way out of Tina's budget.. That frame will be super sturdy, noicee

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
This is a cool looking layout, and the metal jig idea isn't bad, because magnets are terrible sometimes! They make those welding tables but good ones are way out of Tina's budget.. That frame will be super sturdy, noicee

You just need a thick sheet of steel. Minimum 1/4". Leveled on a sturdy work bench/table.:thumbsup:

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
It is tougher than usual because you can not leave heat on it for too long or you will burn a hole through it.
I have enough experience to say that, but Hey... it works great for light weight- to- medium duty stress loads until flexing(if welded good).

92LX-5.8

Reaction score
I use 1inch black pipe from lowes (gas pipe). Building a drift trike out of it now, works very well

offroading73

Reaction score
i was wondering if 3/4" oem conduit will work for a frame. I've already started. Thought i had better ask before going any further.

i use to make climbing tree stands with 1/2" but never tried putting wheels and a engine on them. never felt unsafe 30 to 40' in a pine tree.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Black pipe or any pipe for that matter would not be structurally sound for a kart of any kind. Too heavy and just would not hold up well. Tubing is probably the best.

tinamcjittles

ello m8
Reaction score
i use to make climbing tree stands with 1/2" but never tried putting wheels and a engine on them. never felt unsafe 30 to 40' in a pine tree.

I like the saying "Any material is strong if used properly". Conduit is great if you design the frame while knowing how weak it is. But whoa that's a sketchy height lol

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Black pipe or any pipe for that matter would not be structurally sound for a kart of any kind. Too heavy and just would not hold up well. Tubing is probably the best.

Agreed, and welding iron pipe is pretty sketchy without the proper techniques..

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Mostly need rods with a higher Nickle content and usually pre and post heating to prevent cracking.

anickode

Reaction score
I like the saying "Any material is strong if used properly". Conduit is great if you design the frame while knowing how weak it is. But whoa that's a sketchy height lol

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Agreed, and welding iron pipe is pretty sketchy without the proper techniques..

Black "iron" pipe is mild steel with a heavy pickled scale coating. It can be welded with any standard steel wire or rod. In this case, 'iron' is just old school slang.

Yes, there is actual iron pipe out there, but your typical threaded plumbing pipe is steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.