frame material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think 3/4" would be strong enough, plus it really isn't meant for structure building, the walls are very thin. Also be careful welding that, EMT is galvanized. Welding galvanized metal is bad stuff, creates toxic fumes, and the zinc/galvanize contaminates the weld (weak weld joint). You should at least grind off the zinc coating before welding, and wear a respirator. At my job, we have eliminated any welding on galvanized material due to both those reasons.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Never known conduit to be durable for anything except for its intended purpose of running wires through it.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Jeeze...did you walk right past the 2×4's???
JK....I seriously have thought about building a frame with EMT.

NOW, you WILL have to triangulate your side rails, and double them up ..( top and bottom rails.)

Doable? DEFINITELY!!! EASY?

Ummmmm....NO! GOOD LUCK! (Keep us updated!)

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
dude, I seriously don't think that material is strong enough, I tried with it on my very first winch back in 2009, the spool immediately collapsed as the winch tried to pull me up

I dont think I took any pics of the crushed spool though

Attachments

• 177.JPG
    177.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 183.JPG
    183.JPG
    665 KB · Views: 20

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I never liked the idea of using emt conduit. Too thin wall.
Tinamcjittles uses it on his karts. But he is a crazy 17yr old.
KW for what you do donating these karts to needy kids I would NOT risk the liability.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your input. I think I will take your advice. Yours too poboy. Chancer has a point. This one is for a nine year old boy. Not giving up on it though. As cheap as 3/4 square tubing is I picked up 40 ft for $28.00 and change.what is your thoughts on 14 gauge.

Last edited:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
14ga is usually plenty strong. It's probably as thin as I'm comfortable going with. 12ga might be a bit better. But 14ga should be sufficient.

tinamcjittles

ello m8
Reaction score
Poboy's right with the triangles, otherwise you'll probably have some flex in the mid-section. This stuff is plenty strong for a 9 year old though so nothing fancy.
Definitely sand the galvanization off though, lol.
Your frame looks great! Did you design it or use plans?

These pics are of the kart I made and the profile from the side; it has no triangles and used to not be reinforced at all, just totally flat like one big lever. IMO this stuff is underrated, but safety first as I never say!
(the steering wheel is conduit that had slits cut out like pie that was bent and welded)

Attachments

• wheelOfSteering 008.jpg
    wheelOfSteering 008.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 18
  • wheelOfSteering 005.jpg
    wheelOfSteering 005.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 20
  • wheelOfSteering 004.jpg
    wheelOfSteering 004.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 17

Jfive

Reaction score
I think it's thick enough. 1" is even thicker. Proper bracing is always important. Some welding wire is designed to weld through galvanized coating but a sander flap disc and a few seconds can make it not so toxic and stronger. The manual benders make nice 90s or anything less. I have plans of using it for the whole frame next kart.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
I'm not giving up on this I am going to finish it but not to give it away until I trust it 110%. No I didn't have any plans just read on the forum and looking at pics of other karts. thanks it gives me encouragement that it will work.

OzFab

Reaction score
14ga is usually plenty strong. It's probably as thin as I'm comfortable going with. 12ga might be a bit better. But 14ga should be sufficient.

Most kart frames are made using 1" 16ga tube...

KW, do a safety test; place two rims under the front of the frame as you've done at the rear in the pics; once the frame is off the ground, jump on it; if it doesn't bend, it should be ok...

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
well maybe conduit wasn't a good idea I done the test as described did't bend but I hate to chance it, so I cut and tacked another one together. It's 3/4 14ga square tubing. I'm open to all comments good or bad just need to know.

Attachments

• IMG_20170118_140931.jpg
    IMG_20170118_140931.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20170118_141039.jpg
    IMG_20170118_141039.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170118_140950.jpg
    IMG_20170118_140950.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20170118_141205.jpg
    IMG_20170118_141205.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170118_141013.jpg
    IMG_20170118_141013.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 16

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
The front beam appears to be very crooked. It could just be the pics. I like the over all design idea. Just double check everything for square. :)

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
It looks out of square. I've still got some cutting to do on the front axle and some other stuff. It does have a little bit of a twist to it but I can fix that pretty easy its just tacked together so any time I move it kinda twist a little. Still have some gussets to weld in. I'm going to to put some side restraints on this one the young man who's getting it is physically challenged so I'll be asking soon about throttle and brake issues I'm sure.

tinamcjittles

ello m8
Reaction score
The easiest way to prevent twisting or any other movement is to clamp the frame to a flat, level surface, like a well made bench...

I've actually been wondering about this and you would probably know. What is the best way to make jigs for these? In Kartfab's videos he uses plywood and small nails, but what about using welding tables and magnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.