Frame bent. How to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppy

New member
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
East Coast
Ok, So I am going over the frame and realized that the steering is not centered The connecting rod is bent, drivers wheel is toed in and the passenger wheel is toed out and the camber is off. Looks like the previous owner wrecked and decided to bend the rod to make up for the toe in. Anyways, the arm that holds the spindle is bent some. I tried to heat it up with a blowtorch and hammer it back but to no avail. Is there any other methods that I can try?


 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
One rod end is reverse threads so you can loosen the lock nuts and turn the rod to adjust toe. Bending the frame back will just weaken it some more. Only way to fix it is to cut it off and weld on a new one.
 

peppy

New member
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
East Coast
Tried that. I have the pass. side threaded as far as it will go. Guess my only option is to get a shorter rod.... unless I want to weld. I have two welders in my shed and never used either of them! I dont even know if I can use it on this gauge steel . I know one is a 220 and one is a 110v I have to get pics up and see if anybody knows about them because there are two spots on the frame that are cracked at the welds and need to be rewelded.
 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
The Lincoln is a much better welder. The speedway series stick welder is probably junk(crap duty cycle), the only cheap welders worth buying are used 200+amp stick welders and new fluxcore wire welders.

TIG is difficult to learn, use it as a stick welder.
 

peppy

New member
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
East Coast
So should I just sell these and get something else? What are these two welders good for anyway? Will the Lincoln be good enough to repair the kart?
 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
Sell the speedway series. The Lincoln will get the job done and do it good, the speedway series will have you waiting for it to cool too often. The Lincoln will be able to repair the kart, you could build one with it.
 

jr dragster T

New member
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
8
Location
Cold place
Dude.....You have a Lincoln TIG just sitting in your shed? Have a garage sale. It will be taken by somone like me in about .00005 of a second.
 

peppy

New member
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
East Coast
You will probably be amazed of all the crap I have in my shed. I also have a 150HP yamaha R6 motor sitting there that I want to put on a frame now..... once I get this one done:toetap05: I need to get my kart skills up first though. I need to have a sale. With all this junk, I would probably be able to by a fully loaded kart! I bought them to weld exhaust systems and air intakes but never did.
 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
My dad crap collection>yours, a 2 car garage full of cars, car parts, small engines, big engines, a minibike and other misc stuff, most of which hasn't moved since 1990. Actual tons of tools.
 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
1 pic cannot show it all, fogot to mention the garage has a crude attic(boards on the rafters) full of stuff, IDK what all is up there. Probably dont want to. And a pit for getting under cars, not much down there.
 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
Here is a SMALL sampler of the ground level.

You cant see it but there are 2 SBCs in this pic.


A minibike for the suicidal


A sandrail, actually had it running/moving a few moths ago




camaro
 

peppy

New member
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
East Coast
Holy crap! Thats a lotta crap! I think your dad suffers from pack rat itis:roflol: My garage is piling up but no where close to that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top