Found a kart - rebuilding time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I think what you are calling a rim bearing is actually a wheel hub. It is the thing that connects to the axle and you bolt the tyre onto it. They usually connect to the axle using a key and keyway, as well as set screws sometimes. You should be able to take the old one off and then get a new hub and make it work
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
I think what you are calling a rim bearing is actually a wheel hub. It is the thing that connects to the axle and you bolt the tyre onto it. They usually connect to the axle using a key and keyway, as well as set screws sometimes. You should be able to take the old one off and then get a new hub and make it work

Yes, this is exactly what I was going to do. Thanks for clarifying this for me. ;)
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Hello guys,

I've ordered a new hub, rim and tyre. They will be here on Wednesday. I hope everything will fit.

Here are some pictures of my work I've done yesterday. Cleaned the metal ground plate, and cleaned the steering mechanism + oiled it.







More to come on Wednesday!
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
You definitely need to have a more permanent or secure mount on the pedal for the cables. Right now they look like they will just slide when you push the brake.
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Hello guys,

Yesterday I've got my ordered parts - a wheel hub, rim and tyre. I've installed them and went for a ride. The first problems started to appear.

The kart has 1cm free space between the ground and the kart, which is insane low. Anyhow, it works fine on nice and flat roads. I don't mind that much, it's work so I'm happy. Maybe later when I have more time and money I'll buy bigger tyres, but that's for later..

Anyhow, here are 2 pictures of my new wheel and "used" rim. I forgot to take pictures of the wheel hub.





I'll post a movie later this week.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
For the few hours you spent fixing it up & the few dollars you spent on the new wheel setup it's well worth it. Again, great find, great job
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top