Found a kart - rebuilding time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Hello guys,

I've found a kart on the scrapheap yesterday. Everything is pretty much intact, but there is 1 rear tire missing.

I tried to start the engine, but I couldn't get it running so I put fuel directly into the combustion chamber. The engine fired directly but died short afterwards. I'll clean out the carb and see if the fuel-lines are good enough.

I need to make the kart higher, because I can't drive this on street now. It's too low to the ground. I'll probably do this with new bigger tires, if possible ofcourse.

Here are some pics:





The seat is a bit damaged, I'll see what I'll do with it later.


The chain is a bit rusty, so this will need a cleaning time also. ;)













I'm going to get the engine running as soon as possible, meanwhile I'll be loooking on internet for tires.

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome ;)

EDIT: Sorry for the wong turned pics, I thought Photobucket turned them correctly..

Regards from Belgium
Nodroz
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
ha fantastic

what did it cost u

it looks very intact and simple to repair

i dont know if its there for a reason but are your tie rods made of nylon rod
thats not so flash
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Cool- looks pretty overbuilt. I'm guessing it was a concession kart? Either way, there's plenty to work with there- good find. I very much doubt the tie rods are nylon. I suspect they are sleeved with plastic, but metal inside. The engine oughta be fine after a carb job. I see it has a factory reduction box with a built-in clutch. Interesting...

After you get everything functioning properly, you might want to consider putting it on the Jenny Craig weight-loss program- she looks HEAVY!
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Cool- looks pretty overbuilt. I'm guessing it was a concession kart? Either way, there's plenty to work with there- good find. I very much doubt the tie rods are nylon. I suspect they are sleeved with plastic, but metal inside. The engine oughta be fine after a carb job. I see it has a factory reduction box with a built-in clutch. Interesting...

After you get everything functioning properly, you might want to consider putting it on the Jenny Craig weight-loss program- she looks HEAVY!

She doesn't only looks heavy, but she IS heavy. ****ed, what a beast. I assume around 120-140 kg.

I've cleaned out the carb today and the engine is running really good. It's like he never stood still. The tie rods for the steering are plastic, to adsorb shocks (I guess).

I need to find a new wheel, clean the chain, oil every moving part and yet we're ready for a ride!

I'll post pics of the carb later today. It was really dirty. The engine is a Honda 270X, I says it has 9.0 hp, which is not bad ofcourse :p I read the engine is from 2010, is this correct?

Oh, btw, I got this for free.
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Well, as promised here are the pictures of my work today - I cleaned the carb end air inlet.

As you can see, it was really worth cleaning because there was a lot of dirt and other nasty stuff inside. Anyhow, It's all clean and nice - engine started on first pull. ;)







I'll remove the throttle and brake cables in the coming days. Then I'll oil them a bit, so everything goes smooter. After that, it's time for the chain.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
You have one wheel missing & you want to raise it. Budget permitting why not get a whole new set of wheels.

Other than that, great find. Have fun:)
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
You have one wheel missing & you want to raise it. Budget permitting why not get a whole new set of wheels.

Other than that, great find. Have fun:)

Yeah, I've been looking for tires. It would be much easier and also cheaper in time to buy a new set of tires. I don't think I'm going to raise the kart. I'll probably just use it to cruise around in the parkings. :D
 

Bluethunder3320

New member
Messages
5,677
Reaction score
38
thats a consession cart with no body. i bet its heavy! they are overbuilt because they need to be as safe as possible for anyone to drive at a track.
 

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Messages
2,490
Reaction score
3
Location
Oliver springs,Tn
you should put the exhaust back together. its only missing one piece of pipe. i really like the look of it though.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Nice find! As Toystory says, you have a reduction box with a build in wet clutch on your engine. They are practically indestructable. I have 2 of them. You must just find out what sort of gear reduction it is. Mine are 2:1, but I know you also get 6:1 and I think 3:1 as well.

I wish someone would throw something like that away here.
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
I've asked a friend who can get that piece for that exhaust. It's way too loud at the moment.

I've cleaned the chain today, I'll probably remove the throttle and brake cables and oil them.

Also, I've started my engine today I opened the throttle and the engine was like a beast! ****ed! I'm almost deaf of the very loud "booms" of the exaust, I was wondered if this is normal? It's basically spitting fire.

I don't have any experience with those reduction boxes, but it seems to be working fine as I can do burnouts. ;) How to find out what reduction I have?

thats a consession cart with no body. i bet its heavy! they are overbuilt because they need to be as safe as possible for anyone to drive at a track.

It's really heavy!


EDIT: Movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMhs_4YATHM&feature=youtu.be
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
To figure out what the reduction of the box is, you are unfortunately going to have to crack it open and count the teeth of the sprockets inside. If it working fine for you though I would leave it alone. Just make sure that you keep it topped up with oil. You can use just regular engine oil in it.
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Hello guys,

Today, I've traveled whole Belgium around from shop to shop. None shops seems to know something about my rear wheel rim. I need a rim and a tyre because there is 1 missing.

I now need help from as much as possible people searching throughout the internet for that rim. (Tyre is standard.)

The previous owner must have bought it somewhere. I think it's imported from China or USA. It could be from anywhere though
Here is a picture of the rim I'm looking for. It's some sort of hard plastic, I guess.


Please help!
Nodroz
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Is there any writing on the rim that might help us get an idea what it is and where it comes from. You could maybe also look at the bolt patter and see if any other local rims might work as well
 

spyder1968

New member
Messages
285
Reaction score
1
Location
New Bedford, MA
wow ! great find ! definitely a concession kart ! im sure there are other wheels that would fit .......or are you looking to keep it all original?
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Is there any writing on the rim that might help us get an idea what it is and where it comes from. You could maybe also look at the bolt patter and see if any other local rims might work as well

There is no writing on the rim. The rim needs to be exact the same as the one I have now, else it won't fit the special rim bearings. It's hard to explain in English for me, but I'll try my best.
You can see in the picture below, in the right side, that iron (or some other metal) piece. The rim is build to fit in those holes in that piece. So, it's connected to the gear and brake.


wow ! great find ! definitely a concession kart ! im sure there are other wheels that would fit .......or are you looking to keep it all original?

I don't want it to keep all original, but in order to ride it, I need the rim to fit that piece of metal.


Anyhow guys, I've found a solution to the problem!
I will buy a rim bearing (not sure if this is the exact word). Cut the old one away and put the new one in place. Mount it on the axle and mount a new standard rim onto it. If this works, then I should be able to drive it.

If my dad is home today, then we'll go to the shop and see how exact we can do that.

Also, yesterday I've cleaned the front of the kart. Steering is MUCH smoother now + I had to replace 2 roll bearings. Also, the front iron plate has been cleaned and looks like new. ;)

Pics are coming later, I'll keep you up to date about the rim bearing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top