First time gokart builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

3wheelkart

New member
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
HEY GUYS I AM NEW TO THIS . I AM THINKING TO BUILD A GOKART
WITH BICYCLE TYRES.
I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO BUILD A FRAM AND WHAT TO USE FOR FRAME LIKE STEEL OR ALUMINIUM OR WHAT EVER.
I HAVE A OLD ENGINE 97CC OF A MOPED BUT I WAS THINKING OF USING 4 POWER DRILLER TOOLS TO MOVE MY VEHICLE SO I WANT IT TO BE LIGHT IN WEIGHT AND STABLE WITH SPEEDS
JUST HELP ME OUT:roflol:
 

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Messages
374
Reaction score
1
Location
NY
2 things before anything:

1)Unless geared very very low, a 97cc moped engine will not move a go kart very well.
2)I would advise against the use of bicycle wheels, they are are probably not rated for the speed you want to achieve and they would make gearing tough.
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
I THINK YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON

Bike tyres are not good at taking side load

Power drills don't make a lot of power

And ally welding requires sepecial tools and skills

what size is your moped
97cc is really too small for a kart

What are your fabrication skills that's the first problem to overcome
Can u weld and or use power tools
 

3wheelkart

New member
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Guys just take a look at asian cordless rase from bosch they have same gokarts that i have described
 

3wheelkart

New member
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
And its a 97 cc scooter nongears so i guess i dont need any gears
just acclerate and wrooom
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
And its a 97 cc scooter nongears so i guess i dont need any gears
just acclerate and wrooom

You are misunderstanding the "gearing" thing. The poster was trying to explain that you would need a pretty deep redux ratio to drive the bike wheels, and NOT whether you need or want a multiple-speed transmission.
 

sexyvicta

New member
Messages
806
Reaction score
2
97cc scooter engine isn't too small for a kart... depends what it is but it should make more power than any small industrial engine
 

youtheotube2

Anonymous Coward
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Bike tires cant handle much torque. I once saw a moped where the rear tire had been completely ripped apart by the torque the engine put out. Motorcycle tires are better but more expensive.
 

3wheelkart

New member
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
No its ok for me a bike tyre is also good but have you guys seen cordless race asian
they used bosch power driller to power the gokart they are preety good just need u people to take a look on youtube
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
No its ok for me a bike tyre is also good but have you guys seen cordless race asian
they used bosch power driller to power the gokart they are preety good just need u people to take a look on youtube

We are not saying that it cannot be done using drills. Obviously it has. We are just saying that it is not easy, and you will get more pleasure out of going for a larger engine. A cordless drill is only going to give you a couple of minutes ride time anyway before you have to recharge. Personally I would prefer the 2 minutes it takes to fill up with gas then the hours it might take to recharge batteries

The comments regarding side loads on bike wheels are very valid as well. A kart cannot lean to the side like a bike, so when you turn in a kart with these types of wheels, all the stress is put on the side of the wheel and they just buckle. They are not made for side loads/stresses like you are going to put out with a kart. Again, we are not saying that it cannot be done, we are just saying that it is a distinct possibility that you are going to have catastrophic wheel failure.
 

3wheelkart

New member
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
DUDE OK 1st THINGS 1sT GOKARTS ARE ILLEGAL IN INDIAN BUT THEN TO I WANT TO BUILD A CHEAP ONE A SUPER CHEPO GOKART.
AND PLESE TELL ME THE THINGS REQUIRED
I DONT KNOW HOW TO WELD BUT MY DAD KNOWS IT VERY WELL............
AND ALSO WHAT TO USE FOR CHASSIC WHICH METAL PIPE OR A SQUARE PIPE
OR IS ALLUMINIUM GOOD FOR GOKART AS THEY ARE CHEAP .
AND YES HERE I CAN MAKE A GOKART BODY FOR LESS THEN 50$ JUST NEED TO KNOW TJE SIZE OF PIPE TO USE
 

mchlfranko

New member
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't know what country, state, or continent "INDIAN" is but I think its ridiculous go karts are illegal.

If I were you I would do some more research, your power drills are not going to push around a bulky kart made of steel tubing. Same with your 97cc engine. You could make your kart out of aluminum if you wanted, provided your father can weld it. That might be your only option to keep the weight down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top