First Build! See how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
So.. I picked up the frame the other day. I'm going to try modifying a yerf dog 2 seater frame. I also picked up a running 1981 Kawasaki KZ250 engine. That ships monday. So I need to fab up a swing suspension system in the rear and motor mount. I also need to pick up wheels and tires for the rear and new tires for the front. I have a 5 day weekend in 2 weeks so I'm hoping to gather the supplies by then and try to get it running that weekend. My hope is to make this a big off road machine! :wai:

We'll see how it goes lol. I picked up the frame at night so I have crappy shots for now but I will get more sometime this week.

Attachments

• enginetb.jpg
    enginetb.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 27
  • gokart.jpg
    gokart.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 35
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 19
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 19
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 22

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
I had one of these karts. I wanted to move the steering over and make it one seater buggy.

Well, I have feeling I'm going to have to do something about where the steering is at now.. I don't think I will fit in it.. It may need to be raised up.. We shall see.

GokartMan

Reaction score
Looks like a cool build. One thought though, i cant over stress how important it is to have your engine aligned properly. Just having it a little bit off can make your chain come off which is veryyyy annoying. But Good luck

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
Looks like a cool build. One thought though, i cant over stress how important it is to have your engine aligned properly. Just having it a little bit off can make your chain come off which is veryyyy annoying. But Good luck

Thank you.. I will pay VERY close attention to that then! Don't want that.

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
What's a good place to order wheels and tires? How big do you think I could go with this frame. I really want it lifted up some. I was think 25" in the rear for the tires and 22" in the front.

I'm also looking into the axle I'll use in the rear. I'm assuming a live axle would be best?

Thanks everyone.

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
Anyone? Also the stock sizes are:

rear tires 20x10-8, front tires 15x6-6

I have the rims for the front so 20=22" in front with 6 in rim if possible.

I've checked a couple sites but I think I'm just getting confused with the sizes. I don't know... Hmm..Sorry for asking so many questions.

Stephen115

Reaction score
BMI karts is where I get my stuff, plus they have a good clearance section. Which I think they have 6 inch wheels on clearance right now. I would do a live axle with that motor. I have a yz250 shifter kart im working on so I know how you feel. Tires are going to be expensive both worth the money.

Good luck!

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
So, with the stock tires the ground clearance is not where I want it to be. I can get bigger tires but that doesn't look like it will make too much of a difference. If I were to upgrade the shocks to ones that had more length would this help? And would that require modifications to the frame and steering? Thanks everyone!

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
So as you can see in the picture of the frame up there it is missing the swing arm/engine mount. Should I just fabricate one that's completely custom with the new engine or should I get the specs of the old one and change it to fit my new engine. Anyone have the dimensions of the 3203's rear end? The owners manual doesn't. Thanks all.

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
I'm kinda thinking about going a different direction. A picture of most of what I need to order, not EVERYTHING. I'm already $270 into this with frame and engine... I guess I should think this over.

I still need the disc brake and supplies. Hinges for the swing arm mounts. And who knows what else... A lot of thinking to do...

Attachments

• gokartitemsneeded.JPG
    gokartitemsneeded.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 31

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
why do you need 2 axles and 4 axle nuts? plus i don't think that axle is going to be wide enough for your kart. i'd just buy a 1 inch rod of appropriate length, and carefully carve out 1/4" keyway slots where you need them with a thin metal cutting grinder. that's how i made my jackshaft on my big kart (since i already had an axle). use 1 1/4" tube to make stopper rings that you can weld to the axle (don't weld them on until everything is in place permanently! although you can grind them off...). if you want to get extra fancy, you can have someone tap the ends for axle nuts to hold your wheels on.

fabricate your swingarm. it's easy, and cheap! just a little time consuming. just get a pair of 3/4" 4" bolts, some 1" tubing that the 3/4" bolts fit in nicely, make your swingarm and attach it to the kart witht the bolts (like hinges), and presto! :)

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
That was an accidental double up... Total dropped to $420.72 when removing those..

That's the exact axle that the owners manual for the kart I have calls for. I matched the part numbers.

Do you have any links to videos for grinding out a keyway slot? You've also kinda have me lost with the tube stopper rings.. Do you have an example? Lol I'm an idiot!!

I don't have too much fabricating skills... I'm still learning as I go. Sadly, that's the more expensive way of going at it.

Thanks for the help!

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
if you look to the right of the tire you'll see about a 1 inch section of tubing that has been tack-welded onto the axle. that's a stopper ring. it's a free alternative to using one that has a threaded grub screw in it.

i don't have a good pic of the jackshaft, but if you take your time and are carefull and measure several times to make sure you're making the slot the perfect size for the key - you should get good results. a little snug is good, as long as you can tap the key in place.

also here is my fabricated swing arm. the blue section was chopped off another kart, but would have been easy to make.

keep in mind that i had NO previous experience before making my first kart. it was a bit of trial and error. i feel a lot more confident now!

Attachments

• stopper rings.jpg
    stopper rings.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 52
  • swingarm.jpg
    swingarm.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 45
  • swingarm 2.jpg
    swingarm 2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 48

jman231994

Reaction score
Someone may have said it, but a butterfly steering wheel may get you out of having to raise the steering shaft. Something like this

Attachments

• steeringbutterflyblack.jpg
    steeringbutterflyblack.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 5

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
The better, more accurate (but mre expensive) way to do this is to have it machined on a mill. If you know someone who has one, even better :)

Sadly, I don't know anyone who has a mill. I imagine it would cost probably $15-20 to have a shop do it but then I might as well just purchase an axle with the keyway already.

rcarteraz07

Reaction score
Someone may have said it, but a butterfly steering wheel may get you out of having to raise the steering shaft. Something like this

I'm a big guy... I'm not sure that a butterfly steering wheel will solve my problems. I will definitely look into it though.. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.