Engine Build Off ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Lol, I'm for it, as long as the judging criteria isn't power or speed.

Build a turbine and run a kart off it? You win the kart-net for the year.

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Oh....then why bother.....ladies and gentlemen: your 2016 engine build winner: FreeRunner15!!!!! (He meets both criteria! )

Because it does need to run and move, but I don't want to make our younger members think they need a billet everything stroked efi turbo'd nitrous monster to even have fun, when the fact is, you can break your fool neck with a stock Predator 212.

So I would like to encourage innovation, and out of the box thinking, and discourage spending cubic dollar's.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
good point...

bad thing it's a good point AGAINST having such engine build off :8

Sure we'd all like some little extra , right?
We order double or triple patties on our burgers, and we love free stuff..
and if an extra horse is available in our engines, why not ask it out for a dance?

But the one thing we encourage (even try to enforce) most is safety!
We tell people to never install stronger valve springs without getting the billet conrod,
and we advise people to not just bypass the governor but to remove it properly.

So, an engine build off... that does NOT include power or speed or anything like that
could only judge the craftmanship (maybe innovation; but frankly... that'd be rare)
And good craftmanship, the level of detail and all that is already to be seen in the rest of the kart (and hopefully is achieved throughout the build)
And that we do judge already :D

Yes, we've seen some great examples of engine modification here before..
I don't need to point any of you to any of Bret's threads just to prove that.
And my current favourite is NB Carters EFI conversion
(since that's exciting to see... and since most of us deal with very similar tech.. we could even repeat that on our own)
Not that I wouldn't want that SACHS Bret just finished a month ago, but because I personally do not have a machineshop to do so ;)

IDK, but in the end, I'm afraid Jrgunn is 100%correct in assuming it'd send the wrong signal to new unexperienced users (especially pubertarians who seem to have wet dreams about horse power again lately... must be spring or something)
And that leads me back to what I said earlier:
We -most of all- want everybody to stay safe.

I think as much as I personally like that idea of more engines being well modified;
I'd rather NOT see it in any competetive build off; especially not when hp is a judging factor.

If it's something like Tony's revival of a GX160 that's been covered in concrete;
finally ending up polishing the fuel bowl :thumbsup: count me in!

If it's "I pushed that GX200 to 35hp without any billet part even" I'm out outer the outest if you know what I mean ;)

'sid

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Maybe the above statements (being true) are why Robert has not necessarily announced "Specific categories".
We all build the best we can and then the POWERS that be decide what categories should be included in any given year, depending on the final results.

That way if 2 guys GAB the paint we need a "best paint" category.
If two GAB the suspension or engine we add that etc etc...
As needed.

But all without announcing (err Promoting) any particular category.

I am either genius or reading the mind of a Genius!:roflol:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Maybe the above statements (being true) are why Robert has not necessarily announced "Specific categories".
We all build the best we can and then the POWERS that be decide what categories should be included in any given year, depending on the final results.

That way if 2 guys GAB the paint we need a "best paint" category.
If two GAB the suspension or engine we add that etc etc...
As needed.

But all without announcing (err Promoting) any particular category.

I am either genius or reading the mind of a Genius!:roflol:

But you DID notice Robert said they're WILL be multiple categories this year????

It's in black and white!

(He just feels sorry for Joe...because I also have a minibike build!) LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.